Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: oppA
Description: oligopeptide ABC transporter periplasmic binding protein
Alias: ECK1237, JW1235
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Glover I, Denny R, Nguti N, McSweeney S, Kinder S, Thompson A, et al. Structure determination of OppA at 2.3 A resolution using multiple-wavelength anomalous dispersion methods. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 1995;51:39-47 pubmedb>OppA is a 58.8 kDa bacterial transport protein involved in the transport of peptides across the cytoplasmic membrane of Gram-negative bacteria. It binds peptides from two to five residues in length but with little sequence specificity...
- Richarme G, Caldas T. Chaperone properties of the bacterial periplasmic substrate-binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:15607-12 pubmed..We report, herewith, that the oligopeptide-binding protein OppA of Escherichia coli, the maltose-binding protein MalE of E...
- Guyer C, Morgan D, Staros J. Binding specificity of the periplasmic oligopeptide-binding protein from Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1986;168:775-9 pubmed..Fluorescence emission data suggested that this periplasmic protein possesses more than one substrate-binding site capable of distinguishing peptides on the basis of amino acyl side chains. ..
- Pulvermacher S, Stauffer L, Stauffer G. The role of the small regulatory RNA GcvB in GcvB/mRNA posttranscriptional regulation of oppA and dppA in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2008;281:42-50 pubmed publisherThe gcvB gene encodes two small, nontranslated RNAs that regulate OppA and DppA, periplasmic binding proteins for the oligopeptide and dipeptide transport systems...
- Hogarth B, Higgins C. Genetic organization of the oligopeptide permease (opp) locus of Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1983;153:1548-51 pubmed..we showed by complementation analysis that the locus in both species consists of four separate genes, which we named oppA, oppB, oppC, and oppD. These genes are organized as a single operon. The direction of transcription was determined.
- Angelopoulos N, Kallaras C, Apostolakis M. Effects of intracerebroventricular administration of atrial natriuretic peptide on subcortical EEG activity in conscious rabbits. Exp Brain Res. 1996;108:427-32 pubmed..Mean EEG energy changes caused by ANP would reflect its various (mainly inhibitory) effects on the electrical activity recorded from PVN and SON neurons in in vitro and in vivo studies. ..
- Kessler D, Leibrecht I, Knappe J. Pyruvate-formate-lyase-deactivase and acetyl-CoA reductase activities of Escherichia coli reside on a polymeric protein particle encoded by adhE. FEBS Lett. 1991;281:59-63 pubmed..This revealed the identity of PFL-deactivase with the alcohol and acetaldehyde dehydrogenases of E. coli. The multienzyme represents a homopolymeric protein (approximately 40 x 96 kDa) requiring Fe2+ for all functions. ..
- Andrews J, Blevins T, Short S. Regulation of peptide transport in Escherichia coli: induction of the trp-linked operon encoding the oligopeptide permease. J Bacteriol. 1986;165:428-33 pubmed..Direct measurement of opp operon expression by pulse-labeling experiments demonstrated that growth of E. coli in the presence of leucine resulted in increased synthesis of the oppA-encoded periplasmic binding protein.
- Molloy M, Herbert B, Slade M, Rabilloud T, Nouwens A, Williams K, et al. Proteomic analysis of the Escherichia coli outer membrane. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:2871-81 pubmed..In an additional demonstration we show the value of parallel protein analysis to document changes in E. coli OMP expression as influenced by culture temperature...
- Andrews J, Short S. opp-lac Operon fusions and transcriptional regulation of the Escherichia coli trp-linked oligopeptide permease. J Bacteriol. 1986;165:434-42 pubmed..Synthesis of beta-galactosidase by strains harboring oppA-lac, oppB-lac, and oppD-lac fusions occurred at a basal level when the fusion-containing strains were grown in ..
- Igarashi K, Kashiwagi K. Polyamines: mysterious modulators of cellular functions. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;271:559-64 pubmed..Effects of polyamines on ion channels have also been reported and are gradually being clarified at the molecular level. ..
- Acosta M, Ferreira R, Ferreira L, Costa S. Intracellular polyamine pools, oligopeptide-binding protein A expression, and resistance to aminoglycosides in Escherichia coli. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2005;100:789-93 pubmed..vitro selected kanamycin-resistant Escherichia coli J53 mutants expressing diminished oligopeptide-binding protein (OppA) levels and/or defective ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity...
- Kashiwagi K, Miyaji A, Ikeda S, Tobe T, Sasakawa C, Igarashi K. Increase of sensitivity to aminoglycoside antibiotics by polyamine-induced protein (oligopeptide-binding protein) in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:4331-7 pubmed..coli DR112 transformed by the gene for polyamine-induced protein (oligopeptide-binding [OppA] protein) or polyamine transport proteins...
- Lennon C, Thamsen M, Friman E, Cacciaglia A, Sachsenhauser V, Sorgenfrei F, et al. Folding Optimization In Vivo Uncovers New Chaperones. J Mol Biol. 2015;427:2983-94 pubmed publisher..variants we isolated were found to overexpress one or more periplasmic proteins including OsmY, Ivy, DppA, OppA, and HdeB. Of these proteins, only HdeB has convincingly been previously shown to function as chaperone in vivo...
- Klepsch M, Kovermann M, Low C, Balbach J, Permentier H, Fusetti F, et al. Escherichia coli peptide binding protein OppA has a preference for positively charged peptides. J Mol Biol. 2011;414:75-85 pubmed publisherThe Escherichia coli peptide binding protein OppA is an essential component of the oligopeptide transporter Opp...
- Igarashi K, Saisho T, Yuguchi M, Kashiwagi K. Molecular mechanism of polyamine stimulation of the synthesis of oligopeptide-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:4058-64 pubmedPolyamine stimulation of the synthesis of oligopeptide-binding protein (OppA) was shown to occur mainly at the level of translation by measuring OppA synthesis and its mRNA level...
- Igarashi K, Kashiwagi K. Polyamine Modulon in Escherichia coli: genes involved in the stimulation of cell growth by polyamines. J Biochem. 2006;139:11-6 pubmed..We found that synthesis of oligopeptide binding protein (OppA), which is important for nutrient supply, adenylate cyclase (Cya), RNA polymerase sigma(38) subunit (RpoS), ..
- Hiles I, Gallagher M, Jamieson D, Higgins C. Molecular characterization of the oligopeptide permease of Salmonella typhimurium. J Mol Biol. 1987;195:125-42 pubmed..A detailed comparison of the Opp components with those of other binding protein-dependent transport systems provides insight into the mechanisms and evolution of these transport systems. ..
- Urbanowski M, Stauffer L, Stauffer G. The gcvB gene encodes a small untranslated RNA involved in expression of the dipeptide and oligopeptide transport systems in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2000;37:856-68 pubmed..However, this mutant has high constitutive synthesis of OppA and DppA, the periplasmic-binding protein components of the two major peptide transport systems normally repressed ..
- Nowak Jary J, Andruszkiewicz R, Payne J. Enzymatic degradation and transport of endothiopeptides into Escherichia coli K12 mutant strains. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2008;285:291-7 pubmed publisher..These compounds, well transported by permeases, but significantly more resistant to enzymatic cleavage than the corresponding natural peptides, seem to be useful as enzyme inhibitor carriers. ..
- Kirkpatrick C, Maurer L, Oyelakin N, Yoncheva Y, Maurer R, Slonczewski J. Acetate and formate stress: opposite responses in the proteome of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:6466-77 pubmed..expression levels of 37 proteins, including periplasmic transporters for amino acids and peptides (ArtI, FliY, OppA, and ProX), metabolic enzymes (YfiD and GatY), the RpoS growth phase regulon, and the autoinducer synthesis protein ..
- Staskawicz B, Panopoulos N. Phaseolotoxin transport in Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium via the oligopeptide permease. J Bacteriol. 1980;142:474-9 pubmed..In both E. coli and S. typhimurium, Toxr mutations were cotransducible with trp, suggesting that the opp locus occupies similar positions in genetic maps of these bacteria. ..
- Park J. Turnover and recycling of the murein sacculus in oligopeptide permease-negative strains of Escherichia coli: indirect evidence for an alternative permease system and for a monolayered sacculus. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:7-11 pubmed..This suggests that in addition to opp, a low-affinity uptake system for tripeptide derived from the sacculus may exist. ..
- Lenny A, Margolin P. Locations of the opp and supX genes of Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1980;143:747-52 pubmed..These results differ from a previously reported location of the opp gene on the E. coli chromosome. Evidence indicates that the opp gene lies between chr(tonB) and galU in S. typhimurium. ..
- Goodell E, Higgins C. Uptake of cell wall peptides by Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:3861-5 pubmed..Our data indicate that the periplasmic oligopeptide-binding protein has more than one substrate-binding site, each with different though overlapping specificities. ..
- Andrews J, Short S. Genetic analysis of Escherichia coli oligopeptide transport mutants. J Bacteriol. 1985;161:484-92 pubmed
- Guyer C, Morgan D, Osheroff N, Staros J. Purification and characterization of a periplasmic oligopeptide binding protein from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1985;260:10812-8 pubmed..Results from this study support the hypothesis that this periplasmic oligopeptide binding protein functions in the initial recognition of peptide substrates for the oligopeptide permease system. ..
- Kim Y, Wood T. Toxins Hha and CspD and small RNA regulator Hfq are involved in persister cell formation through MqsR in Escherichia coli. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;391:209-13 pubmed publisher..indicate that toxins CspD, Hha, and HokA influence persister cell formation via MqsR and that Hfq plays an important role in the regulation of persister cell formation via regulation of transport or outer membrane proteins OppA and YbfM.