Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nuoH
Description: NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase, membrane subunit H
Alias: ECK2276, JW2277
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Hayashi M, Miyoshi T, Takashina S, Unemoto T. Purification of NADH-ferricyanide dehydrogenase and NADH-quinone reductase from Escherichia coli membranes and their roles in the respiratory chain. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1989;977:62-9 pubmed..The FAD-containing NQR was very similar to that purified by Jaworowski et al. (Biochemistry (1981) 20, 2041-2047), and reduced Q1 without generating delta psi. ..
- Esterházy D, King M, Yakovlev G, Hirst J. Production of reactive oxygen species by complex I (NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase) from Escherichia coli and comparison to the enzyme from mitochondria. Biochemistry. 2008;47:3964-71 pubmed publisher..In contrast, bovine complex I produces 95% superoxide. The results are consistent with (but do not prove) a specific role for cluster N1a in determining the outcome of O2 reduction; possible reaction mechanisms are discussed. ..
- Kervinen M, Pätsi J, Finel M, Hassinen I. A pair of membrane-embedded acidic residues in the NuoK subunit of Escherichia coli NDH-1, a counterpart of the ND4L subunit of the mitochondrial complex I, are required for high ubiquinone reductase activity. Biochemistry. 2004;43:773-81 pubmed
- Steuber J. The C-terminally truncated NuoL subunit (ND5 homologue) of the Na+-dependent complex I from Escherichia coli transports Na+. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:26817-22 pubmed..This Na+ uptake was prevented by EIPA (5-(N-ethyl-N-isopropyl)-amiloride), which acts as inhibitor against Na+/H+ antiporters. ..
- Friedrich T, Scheide D. The respiratory complex I of bacteria, archaea and eukarya and its module common with membrane-bound multisubunit hydrogenases. FEBS Lett. 2000;479:1-5 pubmed..Six of them are also present in a family of membrane-bound multisubunit [NiFe] hydrogenases. It is discussed that they build a module for electron transfer coupled to proton translocation. ..
- Wackwitz B, Bongaerts J, Goodman S, Unden G. Growth phase-dependent regulation of nuoA-N expression in Escherichia coli K-12 by the Fis protein: upstream binding sites and bioenergetic significance. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;262:876-83 pubmed..This ensures higher ATP yields under conditions where large amounts of ATP are required. ..
- Yang Y, Bennett G, San K. Effect of inactivation of nuo and ackA-pta on redistribution of metabolic fluxes in Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Bioeng. 1999;65:291-7 pubmed..Mutations in both ackA-pta and nuo are required to significantly reduce the flux through the PFL pathway. ..
- Calhoun M, Gennis R. Demonstration of separate genetic loci encoding distinct membrane-bound respiratory NADH dehydrogenases in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:3013-9 pubmed..The enzyme encoded by this locus probably translocates protons across the inner membrane, contributing to the proton motive force. ..
- Erhardt H, Steimle S, Muders V, Pohl T, Walter J, Friedrich T. Disruption of individual nuo-genes leads to the formation of partially assembled NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) in Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1817:863-71 pubmed publisher..The inactive population is missing cluster N2 and is tightly associated with the inducible lysine decarboxylase. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Biogenesis/Assembly of Respiratory Enzyme Complexes. ..
- Poole R, Haddock B. Energy-linked reduction of nicotinamide--adenine dinucleotide in membranes derived from normal and various respiratory-deficient mutant strains of Escherichia coli K12. Biochem J. 1974;144:77-85 pubmed..8. Results are interpreted as evidence of the ubiquinone-dependent, but cytochrome-independent, nature of the site I region of the respiratory chain in E. coli. ..
- Sinha P, Torres Bacete J, Nakamaru Ogiso E, Castro Guerrero N, Matsuno Yagi A, Yagi T. Critical roles of subunit NuoH (ND1) in the assembly of peripheral subunits with the membrane domain of Escherichia coli NDH-1. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:9814-23 pubmed publisher..b>NuoH is a counterpart of ND1, which is one of seven mitochondrially encoded hydrophobic subunits, and is considered to ..
- Hellwig P, Scheide D, Bungert S, Mäntele W, Friedrich T. FT-IR spectroscopic characterization of NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) from Escherichia coli: oxidation of FeS cluster N2 is coupled with the protonation of an aspartate or glutamate side chain. Biochemistry. 2000;39:10884-91 pubmed..Part of these signals are attributed to the reorganization of protonated/deprotonated Asp or Glu side chains. On the basis of these data we discuss the role of N2 for proton translocation of complex I. ..
- Amarneh B, Vik S. Mutagenesis of subunit N of the Escherichia coli complex I. Identification of the initiation codon and the sensitivity of mutants to decylubiquinone. Biochemistry. 2003;42:4800-8 pubmed..These mutants also showed enhanced inhibition by decylubiquinone, indicating that subunit N interacts with quinones. The mutation associated with LHON, G391S, had little effect on these functions. ..
- Leif H, Sled V, Ohnishi T, Weiss H, Friedrich T. Isolation and characterization of the proton-translocating NADH: ubiquinone oxidoreductase from Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 1995;230:538-48 pubmed..This subunit arrangement coincidences to some extent with the order of the genes on the nuo operon. A topological model of the E. coli complex I is proposed...
- Pr ss B, Nelms J, Park C, Wolfe A. Mutations in NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase of Escherichia coli affect growth on mixed amino acids. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:2143-50 pubmed..We propose that cells defective for NADH dehydrogenase I exhibit all these phenotypes, because large NADH/NAD+ ratios inhibit certain tricarboxylic acid cycle enzymes, e.g., citrate synthase and malate dehydrogenase...
- Mamedova A, Holt P, Carroll J, Sazanov L. Substrate-induced conformational change in bacterial complex I. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:23830-6 pubmed..The enzyme retains its L-shape in the presence of NADH, but exhibits a significantly more open or expanded structure both in the peripheral arm and, unexpectedly, in the membrane domain also. ..
- Guenebaut V, Schlitt A, Weiss H, Leonard K, Friedrich T. Consistent structure between bacterial and mitochondrial NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I). J Mol Biol. 1998;276:105-12 pubmed
- Gemperli A, Schaffitzel C, Jakob C, Steuber J. Transport of Na(+) and K (+) by an antiporter-related subunit from the Escherichia coli NADH dehydrogenase I produced in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Arch Microbiol. 2007;188:509-21 pubmed..The cation selectivity and function of the NuoL subunit as a transporter module of the NADH dehydrogenase complex is discussed. ..
- Amarneh B, De Leon Rangel J, Vik S. Construction of a deletion strain and expression vector for the Escherichia coli NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (Complex I). Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1757:1557-60 pubmed..A chromosomal deletion of all nuo genes has been achieved by homologous recombination. A vector that encodes all of the nuo genes has been constructed, and it expresses a functional enzyme. ..
- Baranova E, Holt P, Sazanov L. Projection structure of the membrane domain of Escherichia coli respiratory complex I at 8 A resolution. J Mol Biol. 2007;366:140-54 pubmed
- Stolpe S, Friedrich T. The Escherichia coli NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) is a primary proton pump but may be capable of secondary sodium antiport. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:18377-83 pubmed..coli complex I is a primary electrogenic proton pump. However, the magnitude of the pH gradient depended on the sodium concentration. The capability of complex I for secondary Na(+)/H(+) antiport is discussed. ..
- Sazanov L. Respiratory complex I: mechanistic and structural insights provided by the crystal structure of the hydrophilic domain. Biochemistry. 2007;46:2275-88 pubmed..In this review, novel mechanistic implications of the structure are discussed, and the effects of many known mutations of complex I subunits are interpreted in a structural context. ..
- David P, Baumann M, Wikstrom M, Finel M. Interaction of purified NDH-1 from Escherichia coli with ubiquinone analogues. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1553:268-78 pubmed..Both ubiquinone-2 and decylubiquinone are good acceptors for this enzyme, while affinity of NDH-1 for ubiquinone-1 is clearly lower than for the other two, particularly in the purified state. ..
- Morgan D, Sazanov L. Three-dimensional structure of respiratory complex I from Escherichia coli in ice in the presence of nucleotides. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1777:711-8 pubmed publisher..The model of the entire bacterial complex I could be built from the crystal structures of subcomplexes using the EM envelope described here. ..
- Calhoun M, Oden K, Gennis R, de Mattos M, Neijssel O. Energetic efficiency of Escherichia coli: effects of mutations in components of the aerobic respiratory chain. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:3020-5 pubmed
- Euro L, Belevich G, Wikstrom M, Verkhovskaya M. High affinity cation-binding sites in Complex I from Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1787:1024-8 pubmed publisher..K(+) and La(3+) do not occupy the same site. Possible localization of these metal-binding sites and their implication in catalysis are discussed. ..
- Tran Q, Bongaerts J, Vlad D, Unden G. Requirement for the proton-pumping NADH dehydrogenase I of Escherichia coli in respiration of NADH to fumarate and its bioenergetic implications. Eur J Biochem. 1997;244:155-60 pubmed..NADH-->dimethylsulfoxide respiration is also dependent on NADH dehydrogenase I. The consequences for energy conservation by anaerobic respiration with NADH as a donor are discussed. ..
- Braun M, Bungert S, Friedrich T. Characterization of the overproduced NADH dehydrogenase fragment of the NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1998;37:1861-7 pubmed..The preparation fulfills all prerequisites for crystallization of the fragment. ..
- Friedrich T. Complex I: a chimaera of a redox and conformation-driven proton pump?. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2001;33:169-77 pubmed..This implies that complex I contains two energy-coupling sites. The NADH dehydrogenase module seems to be involved in electron transfer and not in proton translocation. ..
- Weidner U, Geier S, Ptock A, Friedrich T, Leif H, Weiss H. The gene locus of the proton-translocating NADH: ubiquinone oxidoreductase in Escherichia coli. Organization of the 14 genes and relationship between the derived proteins and subunits of mitochondrial complex I. J Mol Biol. 1993;233:109-22 pubmed publisher..To some extent, the gene order correlates with the topological arrangement of the encoded subunits. The conception of modular evolution of NADH: ubiquinone oxidoreductase is further supported by the arrangement of the nuo-genes...
- Leif H, Weidner U, Berger A, Spehr V, Braun M, van Heek P, et al. Escherichia coli NADH dehydrogenase I, a minimal form of the mitochondrial complex I. Biochem Soc Trans. 1993;21:998-1001 pubmed
- Friedrich T, Bottcher B. The gross structure of the respiratory complex I: a Lego System. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1608:1-9 pubmed..This model reflects the evolution of complex I from pre-existing modules for electron transfer and proton translocation. ..
- Torres Bacete J, Nakamaru Ogiso E, Matsuno Yagi A, Yagi T. Characterization of the NuoM (ND4) subunit in Escherichia coli NDH-1: conserved charged residues essential for energy-coupled activities. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:36914-22 pubmed..The data suggest that these His are not involved in the catalytic Q-binding. Functional roles of NuoM and advantages of NDH-1 research as a model for mitochondrial complex I study have been discussed. ..
- Falk Krzesinski H, Wolfe A. Genetic analysis of the nuo locus, which encodes the proton-translocating NADH dehydrogenase in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1174-84 pubmed..In particular, we present evidence that NuoG, a peripheral subunit, is essential for complex I function and that it plays a role in the regulation of nuo expression and/or the assembly of complex I. ..
- Yagi T, Matsuno Yagi A. The proton-translocating NADH-quinone oxidoreductase in the respiratory chain: the secret unlocked. Biochemistry. 2003;42:2266-74 pubmed
- Steuber J, Schmid C, Rufibach M, Dimroth P. Na+ translocation by complex I (NADH:quinone oxidoreductase) of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2000;35:428-34 pubmed..With an E. coli mutant deficient in complex I, the Na+ transport activity was low (1-3 nmol mg-1 min-1), and rotenone was without effect. ..
- Neijssel O, Teixeira de Mattos M. The energetics of bacterial growth: a reassessment. Mol Microbiol. 1994;13:172-82 pubmed..The different strains indeed show different growth efficiencies. The physiological significance of energetically less-efficient branches of the respiratory chain is discussed. ..
- Kabir M, Shimizu K. Metabolic regulation analysis of icd-gene knockout Escherichia coli based on 2D electrophoresis with MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry and enzyme activity measurements. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2004;65:84-96 pubmed..activity significantly affected the respiratory system and electron transport chain, as evidenced by the significant downregulation of proteins encoded by the genes nuoE, nuoH, cydA and cyoA in icd mutant E. coli compared to the parent.
- Uhlmann M, Friedrich T. EPR signals assigned to Fe/S cluster N1c of the Escherichia coli NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) derive from cluster N1a. Biochemistry. 2005;44:1653-8 pubmed..Thus, there is no third binuclear iron-sulfur "N1c" in the E. coli complex I but an additional tetranuclear cluster that may be coined N7. ..
- Matsushita K, Ohnishi T, Kaback H. NADH-ubiquinone oxidoreductases of the Escherichia coli aerobic respiratory chain. Biochemistry. 1987;26:7732-7 pubmed
- Archer C, Elliott T. Transcriptional control of the nuo operon which encodes the energy-conserving NADH dehydrogenase of Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:2335-42 pubmed..Mutations in the global regulatory genes arcA, oxrA (fnr), crp, cya, and katF were tested for effects on expression of the nuo operon. However, none of the mutations tested had a large effect on expression of type I NADH dehydrogenase. ..
- Satoh T, Miyoshi H, Sakamoto K, Iwamura H. Comparison of the inhibitory action of synthetic capsaicin analogues with various NADH-ubiquinone oxidoreductases. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1996;1273:21-30 pubmed..1990) Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 281, 305-311). It is noteworthy that several synthetic capsaicins discriminated between NDH-1 and NDH-2 much better than natural capsaicin. ..
- Yagi T. Inhibition by capsaicin of NADH-quinone oxidoreductases is correlated with the presence of energy-coupling site 1 in various organisms. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1990;281:305-11 pubmed..The mechanism by which capsaicin inhibits the energy-transducing NADH-quinone oxidoreductase is discussed. ..
- Unden G, Bongaerts J. Alternative respiratory pathways of Escherichia coli: energetics and transcriptional regulation in response to electron acceptors. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1320:217-34 pubmed..Reductive activation could be achieved by cellular reductants in the absence of O2. In addition, O2 may cause destruction and loss of the FeS cluster. It is not known whether this process is required for regulation of FNR function. ..
- Sinegina L, Wikstrom M, Verkhovsky M, Verkhovskaya M. Activation of isolated NADH:ubiquinone reductase I (complex I) from Escherichia coli by detergent and phospholipids. Recovery of ubiquinone reductase activity and changes in EPR signals of iron-sulfur clusters. Biochemistry. 2005;44:8500-6 pubmed..895, 1.904, 2.05, which corresponds to the parameters reported for the N2 cluster. This data indicates conformational rearrangements of catalytic importance in complex I upon binding of phospholipids. ..
- Choice E, Masin D, Bally M, Meloche M, Madden T. Liposomal cyclosporine. Comparison of drug and lipid carrier pharmacokinetics and biodistribution. Transplantation. 1995;60:1006-11 pubmed
- Friedrich T, Weidner U, Nehls U, Fecke W, Schneider R, Weiss H. Attempts to define distinct parts of NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I). J Bioenerg Biomembr. 1993;25:331-7 pubmed..This assumption is further supported by the conserved order of bacterial complex I genes, which correlates with the topological arrangement of the corresponding subunits in the two parts of complex I. ..
- Holt P, Morgan D, Sazanov L. The location of NuoL and NuoM subunits in the membrane domain of the Escherichia coli complex I: implications for the mechanism of proton pumping. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:43114-20 pubmed..or Triton X-100 led to further disruption of the membrane domain into fragments containing NuoL/M/N, NuoA/K/N, and NuoH/J subunits...
- Pätsi J, Maliniemi P, Pakanen S, Hinttala R, Uusimaa J, Majamaa K, et al. LHON/MELAS overlap mutation in ND1 subunit of mitochondrial complex I affects ubiquinone binding as revealed by modeling in Escherichia coli NDH-1. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1817:312-8 pubmed publisher..E24K substitution in ND1 with LHON/MELAS phenotype was modeled here in a homologous position (NuoH-E36K) in the Escherichia coli enzyme and it almost totally abolished complex I activity...
- Schneider D, Pohl T, Walter J, Dörner K, Kohlstädt M, Berger A, et al. Assembly of the Escherichia coli NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I). Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1777:735-9 pubmed publisher..It is discussed whether this fragment represents an assembly intermediate. In addition, a membrane-bound fragment exhibiting NADH/ferricyanide oxidoreductase activity and containing the iron-sulfur cluster N2 was detected in one mutant. ..
- Pohl T, Uhlmann M, Kaufenstein M, Friedrich T. Lambda Red-mediated mutagenesis and efficient large scale affinity purification of the Escherichia coli NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I). Biochemistry. 2007;46:10694-702 pubmed..After reconstitution in proteoliposomes it couples the electron transfer with proton translocation in an inhibitor sensitive manner, thus meeting all prerequisites for structural and functional studies. ..
- Kao M, Nakamaru Ogiso E, Matsuno Yagi A, Yagi T. Characterization of the membrane domain subunit NuoK (ND4L) of the NADH-quinone oxidoreductase from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2005;44:9545-54 pubmed..Possible roles of these arginine residues and other conserved residues in the NuoK subunit for NDH-1 function were discussed. ..
- Gong X, Xie T, Yu L, Hesterberg M, Scheide D, Friedrich T, et al. The ubiquinone-binding site in NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:25731-7 pubmed..Using the PHDhtm hydropathy plot, the labeled peptide is located in the transmembrane helix 4 toward the periplasmic side of the membrane. ..
- Bottcher B, Scheide D, Hesterberg M, Nagel Steger L, Friedrich T. A novel, enzymatically active conformation of the Escherichia coli NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I). J Biol Chem. 2002;277:17970-7 pubmed..Only the horseshoe-shaped complex I exhibits enzyme activity in detergent solution, which is abolished by the addition of salt. Therefore, it is proposed that this structure is the native conformation of the complex in the membrane. ..
- Bungert S, Krafft B, Schlesinger R, Friedrich T. One-step purification of the NADH dehydrogenase fragment of the Escherichia coli complex I by means of Strep-tag affinity chromatography. FEBS Lett. 1999;460:207-11 pubmed..This was achieved by fusing the Strep-tag II peptide to the C-terminus of NuoF or NuoG. Fusion of this peptide to the N-terminus of either NuoE or NuoF disturbed the assembly of the NADH dehydrogenase fragment. ..
- Friedrich T. The NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) from Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1364:134-46 pubmed
- Kao M, Di Bernardo S, Nakamaru Ogiso E, Miyoshi H, Matsuno Yagi A, Yagi T. Characterization of the membrane domain subunit NuoJ (ND6) of the NADH-quinone oxidoreductase from Escherichia coli by chromosomal DNA manipulation. Biochemistry. 2005;44:3562-71 pubmed..Together with the results on mutations related to human diseases, possible functional roles of the NuoJ subunit have been discussed. ..
- Zambrano M, Kolter R. Escherichia coli mutants lacking NADH dehydrogenase I have a competitive disadvantage in stationary phase. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:5642-7 pubmed..This is the first identification of genes encoding subunits of NADH dehydrogenase I in E. coli. The significance of the inability of these mutant strains to compete in stationary-phase cultures is discussed. ..
- Finel M, Majander A. Studies on the proton-translocating NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductases of mitochondria and Escherichia coli using the inhibitor 1,10-phenanthroline. FEBS Lett. 1994;339:142-6 pubmed..EPR spectroscopy of membranous E. coli NDH1 shows that two slow- and one fast-relaxing Fe-S clusters become detectable upon reduction by NADH in the presence of OP. However, none of them resembles the mitochondrial cluster 2. ..