Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nsrR
Description: nitric oxide-sensitive repressor for NO regulon
Alias: ECK4174, JW4136, yjeB
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Tucker N, Hicks M, Clarke T, Crack J, Chandra G, Le Brun N, et al. The transcriptional repressor protein NsrR senses nitric oxide directly via a [2Fe-2S] cluster. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3623 pubmed publisherThe regulatory protein NsrR, a member of the Rrf2 family of transcription repressors, is specifically dedicated to sensing nitric oxide (NO) in a variety of pathogenic and non-pathogenic bacteria...
- Rankin L, Bodenmiller D, Partridge J, Nishino S, Spain J, Spiro S. Escherichia coli NsrR regulates a pathway for the oxidation of 3-nitrotyramine to 4-hydroxy-3-nitrophenylacetate. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:6170-7 pubmed publisher..immunoprecipitation and microarray (ChIP-chip) analysis showed that the nitric oxide (NO)-sensitive repressor NsrR from Escherichia coli binds in vivo to the promoters of the tynA and feaB genes...
- Efromovich S, Grainger D, Bodenmiller D, Spiro S. Genome-wide identification of binding sites for the nitric oxide-sensitive transcriptional regulator NsrR. Methods Enzymol. 2008;437:211-33 pubmed publisherb>NsrR is a nitric oxide-sensitive regulator of transcription. In Escherichia coli, NsrR is a repressor of the hmp gene encoding the flavohemoglobin that detoxifies nitric oxide...
- Wolfe S, Smith J. Nucleotide sequence and analysis of the purA gene encoding adenylosuccinate synthetase of Escherichia coli K12. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:19147-53 pubmed..The purA control region did not resemble the control regions of the other known pur loci. ..
- Thompson K, Rhodius V, Gottesman S. SigmaE regulates and is regulated by a small RNA in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:4243-56 pubmed..Based on the plasmid screens, NsrR, a repressor sensitive to nitric oxide, was also found to negatively regulate sigma(E)-dependent promoters in an ..
- Pullan S, Gidley M, Jones R, Barrett J, Stevanin T, Read R, et al. Nitric oxide in chemostat-cultured Escherichia coli is sensed by Fnr and other global regulators: unaltered methionine biosynthesis indicates lack of S nitrosation. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:1845-55 pubmed..Other global regulators apparently affected by NO were IscR, Fur, SoxR, NsrR, and NorR...
- Jain C. Identification and characterization of growth suppressors of Escherichia coli strains lacking phosphorolytic ribonucleases. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:5622-7 pubmed publisher..The majority of suppressor mutations were found to lie within nsrR, which encodes a nitric oxide (NO)-sensitive transcriptional repressor...
- Cairrao F, Cruz A, Mori H, Arraiano C. Cold shock induction of RNase R and its role in the maturation of the quality control mediator SsrA/tmRNA. Mol Microbiol. 2003;50:1349-60 pubmed..The wide biological significance of RNase R regarding adaptation to cold shock and its involvement in RNA surveillance, protein quality control and pathogenesis is discussed. ..
- Browning D, Lee D, Spiro S, Busby S. Down-regulation of the Escherichia coli K-12 nrf promoter by binding of the NsrR nitric oxide-sensing transcription repressor to an upstream site. J Bacteriol. 2010;192:3824-8 pubmed publisherFNR-dependent activation of the Escherichia coli K-12 nrf promoter is downregulated by the nitric oxide-sensitive NsrR protein together with the nucleoid-associated protein IHF, which bind to overlapping targets adjacent to the DNA site ..
- Vinella D, Loiseau L, Ollagnier de Choudens S, Fontecave M, Barras F. In vivo [Fe-S] cluster acquisition by IscR and NsrR, two stress regulators in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2013;87:493-508 pubmed publisherThe multi-proteins Isc and Suf systems catalyse the biogenesis of [Fe-S] proteins. Here we investigate how NsrR and IscR, transcriptional regulators that sense NO and [Fe-S] homeostasis, acquire their [Fe-S] clusters under both normal and ..
- L vgren J, Wikstr m P. The rlmB gene is essential for formation of Gm2251 in 23S rRNA but not for ribosome maturation in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:6957-60 pubmed publisher..However, a DeltarlmB mutant did not show any ribosome assembly defects and was not outgrown by a wild-type strain even after 120 cell mass doublings. Thus, RlmB has no important role in ribosome assembly or function in E. coli...
- D Autréaux B, Tucker N, Spiro S, Dixon R. Characterization of the nitric oxide-reactive transcriptional activator NorR. Methods Enzymol. 2008;437:235-51 pubmed publisher..It also details spectroscopic methods for analysis of the interaction of NO with the nonheme iron center and determination of the NO-binding affinity constant. ..
- Pullan S, Monk C, Lee L, Poole R. Microbial responses to nitric oxide and nitrosative stress: growth, "omic," and physiological methods. Methods Enzymol. 2008;437:499-519 pubmed publisher..A key to the literature describing methods suitable for assessing toxicity to microbes of NO and reactive nitrogen species is given. ..