Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nrdD
Description: anaerobic ribonucleoside-triphosphate reductase
Alias: ECK4233, JW4197
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Luttringer F, Mulliez E, Dublet B, Lemaire D, Fontecave M. The Zn center of the anaerobic ribonucleotide reductase from E. coli. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2009;14:923-33 pubmed publisher..However, they are necessary for obtaining high turnover numbers, suggesting that they intervene in radical transfer steps subsequent to the formation of the glycyl radical. ..
- Roca I, Ballana E, Panosa A, Torrents E, Gibert I. Fumarate and nitrate reduction (FNR) dependent activation of the Escherichia coli anaerobic ribonucleotide reductase nrdDG promoter. Int Microbiol. 2008;11:49-56 pubmed..These results suggest that the two sites have an additive effect in coordinating nrdDG expression in response to shifting oxygen concentrations. ..
- Sun X, Harder J, Krook M, Jornvall H, Sjoberg B, Reichard P. A possible glycine radical in anaerobic ribonucleotide reductase from Escherichia coli: nucleotide sequence of the cloned nrdD gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:577-81 pubmed..F. V., Frey, M., Neugebauer, F. A., Schäfer, W. & Knappe, J. (1992) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 996-1000]. The gene for the anaerobic reductase is located at a position around 96 min on the E. coli genomic map. ..
- Eliasson R, Reichard P, Mulliez E, Ollagnier S, Fontecave M, Liepinsh E, et al. The mechanism of the anaerobic Escherichia coli ribonucleotide reductase investigated with nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;214:28-35 pubmed..Class I and II enzymes catalyze identical reactions. Members of the three classes of reductases apparently use the same chemical mechanism in spite of having completely different protein structures. ..
- Rimmele M, Boos W. Trehalose-6-phosphate hydrolase of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:5654-64 pubmed..This report corrects our previous view on the function of the treC gene product as an amylotrehalase, which was based on the analysis of the metabolic products of trehalose metabolism in whole cells. ..
- Mulliez E, Padovani D, Atta M, Alcouffe C, Fontecave M. Activation of class III ribonucleotide reductase by flavodoxin: a protein radical-driven electron transfer to the iron-sulfur center. Biochemistry. 2001;40:3730-6 pubmed..The second reaction plays the major role on the basis that a Gly-to-Ala mutation results in a greatly decreased production of methionine. ..
- Padovani D, Thomas F, Trautwein A, Mulliez E, Fontecave M. Activation of class III ribonucleotide reductase from E. coli. The electron transfer from the iron-sulfur center to S-adenosylmethionine. Biochemistry. 2001;40:6713-9 pubmed
- Fontecave M, Mulliez E, Logan D. Deoxyribonucleotide synthesis in anaerobic microorganisms: the class III ribonucleotide reductase. Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol. 2002;72:95-127 pubmed..This review article describes their structural and mechanistic properties as well as their complex allosteric regulation. Their evolutionnary relationship to class I and class II ribonucleotide reductases is also discussed. ..
- Logan D, Mulliez E, Larsson K, Bodevin S, Atta M, Garnaud P, et al. A metal-binding site in the catalytic subunit of anaerobic ribonucleotide reductase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:3826-31 pubmed..The possible roles of the metal center are discussed in relationship to the currently proposed reaction mechanism for generation of the glycyl radical in class III RNRs. ..
- Boston T, Atlung T. FNR-mediated oxygen-responsive regulation of the nrdDG operon of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:5310-3 pubmed..The nrdD transcript start site was mapped to a position immediately downstream of two FNR binding sites...
- Eliasson R, Pontis E, Fontecave M, Gerez C, Harder J, Jornvall H, et al. Characterization of components of the anaerobic ribonucleotide reductase system from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:25541-7 pubmed..Micromolar concentrations of several chelators inhibit CTP reduction completely, suggesting the involvement of (a) transition metal(s). ..
- Torrents E, Grinberg I, Gorovitz Harris B, Lundström H, Borovok I, Aharonowitz Y, et al. NrdR controls differential expression of the Escherichia coli ribonucleotide reductase genes. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:5012-21 pubmed..The model assumes that differences in the positions of the NrdR binding sites, and in the sequences of the motifs themselves, determine the extent to which NrdR represses the transcription of each RNR operon. ..
- Eliasson R, Pontis E, Eckstein F, Reichard P. Interactions of 2'-modified azido- and haloanalogs of deoxycytidine 5'-triphosphate with the anaerobic ribonucleotide reductase of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:26116-20 pubmed..Our results suggest that the chemistry at the nucleotide level for the reduction of ribose by class III enzymes is similar to the chemistry employed by class I and II enzymes. ..
- Eliasson R, Pontis E, Sun X, Reichard P. Allosteric control of the substrate specificity of the anaerobic ribonucleotide reductase from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:26052-7 pubmed..The similarity of a highly sophisticated control mechanism for the aerobic and anaerobic enzymes suggests that both arose by divergent evolution from a common ancestor, in spite of their different structures. ..
- Ollagnier S, Mulliez E, Schmidt P, Eliasson R, Gaillard J, Deronzier C, et al. Activation of the anaerobic ribonucleotide reductase from Escherichia coli. The essential role of the iron-sulfur center for S-adenosylmethionine reduction. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:24216-23 pubmed..e redox catalysis, as recently proposed by others (Staples, R. C., Ameyibor, E., Fu, W., Gardet-Salvi, L., Stritt-Etter, A. L., Schürmann, P., Knaff, D. B., and Johnson, M. K. (1996) Biochemistry 35, 11425-11434). ..