Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nfi
Description: endonuclease V; deoxyinosine 3' endonuclease
Alias: ECK3990, JW5547, yjaF
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Guo G, Weiss B. Endonuclease V (nfi) mutant of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:46-51 pubmedEndonuclease V (deoxyinosine 3' endonuclease), the product of the nfi gene, has a specificity that encompasses DNAs containing dIMP, abasic sites, base mismatches, uracil, and even untreated single-stranded DNA...
- Schouten K, Weiss B. Endonuclease V protects Escherichia coli against specific mutations caused by nitrous acid. Mutat Res. 1999;435:245-54 pubmed..An endonuclease V (nfi) mutation was tested for specific mutator effects on a battery of trp and lac mutant alleles...
- Blackmore R, Linn S. Partial purification and characterization of four endodeoxyribonuclease activities from Escherichia coli K-12. Nucleic Acids Res. 1974;1:1-17 pubmed..Irradiation of the RFI with ultraviolet light markedly increases the rate of hydrolysis by A(3). B appears to form 3'-phosphoryl termini with fd DNA, but its characterization is highly preliminary due to its instability. ..
- Burgis N, Brucker J, Cunningham R. Repair system for noncanonical purines in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:3101-10 pubmed..Disruption of the endonuclease V gene, nfi, rescues the HAP sensitivity displayed by moa and moa rdgB mutants and reduces the level of recombination and SOS ..
- Bradshaw J, Kuzminov A. RdgB acts to avoid chromosome fragmentation in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2003;48:1711-25 pubmed..We find that DNA isolated from rdgB mutants contains EndoV-recognizable modifications, whereas DNA from nfi mutants does not, substantiating the dITP/dXTP interception by RdgB...
- Yao M, Kow Y. Further characterization of Escherichia coli endonuclease V. Mechanism of recognition for deoxyinosine, deoxyuridine, and base mismatches in DNA. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:30774-9 pubmed..The gene coding for the enzyme was identified to be orf 225 or nfi (endonuclease five)...
- Yao M, Hatahet Z, Melamede R, Kow Y. Purification and characterization of a novel deoxyinosine-specific enzyme, deoxyinosine 3' endonuclease, from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:16260-8 pubmed..Therefore, deoxyinosine 3' endonuclease recognizes, but does not remove, the lesion from the DNA molecule. The biological significance of this novel activity is discussed with reference to other repair activities in E. coli. ..
- Yao M, Kow Y. Strand-specific cleavage of mismatch-containing DNA by deoxyinosine 3'-endonuclease from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:31390-6 pubmed
- Demple B, Linn S. On the recognition and cleavage mechanism of Escherichia coli endodeoxyribonuclease V, a possible DNA repair enzyme. J Biol Chem. 1982;257:2848-55 pubmed..Endonuclease V seems well suited to act as a DNA repair enzyme, surveying the genome for structural distortions generated by lesions for which specific repair systems might not exist. ..