Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mtn
Description: 5'-methylthioadenosine/S-adenosylhomocysteine nucleosidase
Alias: ECK0158, JW0155, mtnN, pfs, yadA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Lee J, Smith G, Horvatin C, Huang D, Cornell K, Riscoe M, et al. Structural snapshots of MTA/AdoHcy nucleosidase along the reaction coordinate provide insights into enzyme and nucleoside flexibility during catalysis. J Mol Biol. 2005;352:559-74 pubmed..A "catalytic movie" detailing substrate binding, catalysis, and product release is presented. ..
- Lee J, Cornell K, Riscoe M, Howell P. Structure of Escherichia coli 5'-methylthioadenosine/ S-adenosylhomocysteine nucleosidase inhibitor complexes provide insight into the conformational changes required for substrate binding and catalysis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:8761-70 pubmed..and Howell, P. L. (2001) Structure (Camb.) 9, 941-953) structure provide evidence for a ligand-induced conformational change in the active site and the substrate preference of the enzyme. The enzymatic mechanism has been re-examined. ..
- Ren D, Bedzyk L, Ye R, Thomas S, Wood T. Differential gene expression shows natural brominated furanones interfere with the autoinducer-2 bacterial signaling system of Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2004;88:630-42 pubmed..indicated that 100 microg/mL furanone decreased the extracellular concentration of AI-2 2-fold, yet luxS and pfs transcription were not significantly altered...
- Allart B, Gatel M, Guillerm D, Guillerm G. The catalytic mechanism of adenosylhomocysteine/methylthioadenosine nucleosidase from Escherichia coli--chemical evidence for a transition state with a substantial oxocarbenium character. Eur J Biochem. 1998;256:155-62 pubmed..This result indicates a transition state with a substantial oxocarbenium character. From these data, the reaction mechanism for AdoHcy/MeSAdo nucleosidase is discussed. ..
- Challand M, Ziegert T, Douglas P, Wood R, Kriek M, Shaw N, et al. Product inhibition in the radical S-adenosylmethionine family. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:1358-62 pubmed publisher..Addition of 5'-methylthioadenosine/S-adenosylhomocysteine nucleosidase (MTAN) to BioB, LipA or ThiH activity assays removed the product inhibition by catalysing the hydrolysis of DOA and gave an increase in activity. ..
- Lee J, Luong W, Huang D, Cornell K, Riscoe M, Howell P. Mutational analysis of a nucleosidase involved in quorum-sensing autoinducer-2 biosynthesis. Biochemistry. 2005;44:11049-57 pubmed..Furthermore, mutation of Arg193 to alanine shows that the nucleophilic water is able to direct its attack without assistance from the enzyme. This mutagenesis study has allowed a reevaluation of the catalytic mechanism. ..
- Kim Y, Lew C, Gralla J. Escherichia coli pfs transcription: regulation and proposed roles in autoinducer-2 synthesis and purine excretion. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:7457-63 pubmedb>Pfs expression is required for several metabolic pathways and limits the production of autoinducer-2, a molecule proposed to play a central role in interspecies quorum sensing...
- Cornell K, Riscoe M. Cloning and expression of Escherichia coli 5'-methylthioadenosine/S-adenosylhomocysteine nucleosidase: identification of the pfs gene product. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1396:8-14 pubmed..coli (designated pfs) encoded MTA/SAH nucleosidase...
- Thomas K, Cameron S, Almo S, Burgos E, Gulab S, Schramm V. Active site and remote contributions to catalysis in methylthioadenosine nucleosidases. Biochemistry. 2015;54:2520-9 pubmed publisher..The overall protein architectures of these closely related proteins are implicated in contributing to the catalytic site differences. ..
- Han X, Bai H, Liu L, Chen W, Ding C, Hu Q, et al. [Cloning and expression of luxS and pfs and in vitro biosynthesis autoinducer 2 of avian pathogenic Escherichia coli from Anhui Province]. Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao. 2012;52:1167-72 pubmed..In this study, the method of biosynthesis of AI-2 was established using recombinant LuxS and Pfs of avian pathogenic Escherichia coli (APEC), which will be benefit for future study of the role of AI-2 in APEC...
- Albers E. Metabolic characteristics and importance of the universal methionine salvage pathway recycling methionine from 5'-methylthioadenosine. IUBMB Life. 2009;61:1132-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, promising targets for antimicrobial agents have been identified. Other medical topics to which this pathway has connections are cancer, apoptosis, and inflammatory response. ..
- Cornell K, Swarts W, Barry R, Riscoe M. Characterization of recombinant Eschericha coli 5'-methylthioadenosine/S-adenosylhomocysteine nucleosidase: analysis of enzymatic activity and substrate specificity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;228:724-32 pubmed..The truncated enzyme exhibited a K(m)[MTA] of 1.43 microM, approximately 3 fold higher than the K(m) reported for the full-length nucleosidase. ..
- Beeston A, Surette M. pfs-dependent regulation of autoinducer 2 production in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:3450-6 pubmed..G. Surette and B. L. Bassler, Mol. Microbiol. 31:585-595, 1999). In addition to LuxS, the pfs gene product (Pfs) is required for AI-2 production, as well as S-adenosylhomocysteine (SAH) (S. Schauder, K...
- Lee J, Cornell K, Riscoe M, Howell P. Expression, purification, crystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of Escherichia coli 5'-methylthioadenosine/S-adenosylhomocysteine nucleosidase. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2001;57:150-2 pubmed..On the basis of density calculations, two monomers are predicted per asymmetric unit (Matthews coefficient, V(M) = 2.37 A(3) Da(-1)), with a solvent content of 48%. ..
- Depping R, Lohaus C, Meyer H, Rüger W. The mono-ADP-ribosyltransferases Alt and ModB of bacteriophage T4: target proteins identified. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;335:1217-23 pubmed..E. coli trigger factor and the elongation factor EF-Tu were 2 targets of ModB action, and these proteins were among the 10 identified as targets of Alt, hinting that these factors are involved in phage replication. ..
- Li J, Wang L, Hashimoto Y, Tsao C, Wood T, Valdes J, et al. A stochastic model of Escherichia coli AI-2 quorum signal circuit reveals alternative synthesis pathways. Mol Syst Biol. 2006;2:67 pubmed..testable hypotheses, and made several discoveries: (1) the mRNA transcript and protein levels of AI-2 synthases, Pfs and LuxS, do not contribute to the dramatically increased level of AI-2 found when cells are grown in the presence ..
- Lee J, Cornell K, Riscoe M, Howell P. Structure of E. coli 5'-methylthioadenosine/S-adenosylhomocysteine nucleosidase reveals similarity to the purine nucleoside phosphorylases. Structure. 2001;9:941-53 pubmed..The structure of MTA/AdoHcy nucleosidase is the first structure of a prokaryotic nucleoside N-ribohydrolase specific for 6-aminopurines...
- Choi Rhee E, Cronan J. A nucleosidase required for in vivo function of the S-adenosyl-L-methionine radical enzyme, biotin synthase. Chem Biol. 2005;12:589-93 pubmed..that Escherichia coli strains lacking the 5'-methylthioadenosine/S-adenosylhomocysteine nucleosidase encoded by the pfs gene are deficient in biotin synthase activity due to accumulation of 5'-deoxyadenosine, a new substrate of the pfs-..
- Allart B, Guillerm D, Guillerm G. On the catalytic mechanism of adenosylhomocysteine/methylthioadenosine nucleosidase from E. coli. Nucleosides Nucleotides. 1999;18:861-2 pubmed..AdoHcy/MTA nucleosidase has been under scrutiny in a series of studies to explore its catalytic mechanism. ..