Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mreD
Description: cell wall structural complex MreBCD transmembrane component MreD
Alias: ECK3237, JW3218
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Vats P, Rothfield L. Duplication and segregation of the actin (MreB) cytoskeleton during the prokaryotic cell cycle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:17795-800 pubmed..The cytoskeletal division and segregation events occur before and independently of cytokinesis and involve specialized MreB structures that appear to be intermediates in this process. ..
- Mohammadi T, Karczmarek A, Crouvoisier M, Bouhss A, Mengin Lecreulx D, Den Blaauwen T. The essential peptidoglycan glycosyltransferase MurG forms a complex with proteins involved in lateral envelope growth as well as with proteins involved in cell division in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2007;65:1106-21 pubmed..It is postulated that the involvement of MurG in the peptidoglycan synthesis concurs with two complexes, one implicated in cell elongation and the other in division. A model representing the first complex is proposed. ..
- Wachi M, Osaka K, Kohama T, Sasaki K, Ohtsu I, Iwai N, et al. Transcriptional analysis of the Escherichia coli mreBCD genes responsible for morphogenesis and chromosome segregation. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2006;70:2712-9 pubmed..Just downstream of mreB, the mreC and mreD genes are located...
- Espeli O, Nurse P, Levine C, Lee C, Marians K. SetB: an integral membrane protein that affects chromosome segregation in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2003;50:495-509 pubmed..SetB localizes in the cell as a helix and interacts with MreB, the bacterial actin homologue, which also forms a helix. These observations suggest that there may be a link between chromosome segregation and cellular infrastructure. ..
- Kruse T, Møller Jensen J, Løbner Olesen A, Gerdes K. Dysfunctional MreB inhibits chromosome segregation in Escherichia coli. EMBO J. 2003;22:5283-92 pubmed..Our observations indicate that MreB filaments participate in directional chromosome movement and segregation. ..
- Wachi M, Doi M, Ueda T, Ueki M, Tsuritani K, Nagai K, et al. Sequence of the downstream flanking region of the shape-determining genes mreBCD of Escherichia coli. Gene. 1991;106:135-6 pubmedThe nucleotide sequence of the downstream flanking region of the mreD gene of Escherichia coli was determined. Two open reading frames (ORFs) were found, a 591-bp orfE and a 1467-bp orfF...
- Figge R, Divakaruni A, Gober J. MreB, the cell shape-determining bacterial actin homologue, co-ordinates cell wall morphogenesis in Caulobacter crescentus. Mol Microbiol. 2004;51:1321-32 pubmed..We hypothesize that MreB filaments function as a cytoskeleton that serves as an organizer or tracking device for the PBP2-peptidoglycan biosynthesis complex...
- Vats P, Shih Y, Rothfield L. Assembly of the MreB-associated cytoskeletal ring of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2009;72:170-82 pubmed publisher..We show here that the MreB cytoskeletal ring also contains the MreC, MreD, Pbp2 and RodA proteins...