Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: modB
Description: molybdate ABC transporter permease; chlorate resistance protein
Alias: ECK0753, JW0747, chlJ
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Grunden A, Shanmugam K. Molybdate transport and regulation in bacteria. Arch Microbiol. 1997;168:345-54 pubmed..These three proteins are coded by modA, modB, and modC genes, respectively...
- Rosentel J, Healy F, Maupin Furlow J, Lee J, Shanmugam K. Molybdate and regulation of mod (molybdate transport), fdhF, and hyc (formate hydrogenlyase) operons in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:4857-64 pubmed..This level was increased by over 175 times by a mutation in the modA, modB, or modC gene. The addition of molybdate to the growth medium of a mod mutant lowered phi (modA'-'lacZ+) expression...
- Maupin Furlow J, Rosentel J, Lee J, Deppenmeier U, Gunsalus R, Shanmugam K. Genetic analysis of the modABCD (molybdate transport) operon of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:4851-6 pubmed..The second gene (modB) encodes a 229-amino-acid protein with a potential membrane location, while the 352-amino-acid ModC protein (modC ..
- McNicholas P, Rech S, Gunsalus R. Characterization of the ModE DNA-binding sites in the control regions of modABCD and moaABCDE of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1997;23:515-24 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that ModE acts both as a repressor and activator of the mod and moa operons, respectively, depending on the properties of the binding site. ..
- Miyake H, Yabu H, Satoh T, Yamamoto I. Characterization and transcriptional regulation of the modABCD genes for molybdenum transport in Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser. 1995;:91-2 pubmed..The genes were named modA, modB, modC, and modD...
- Joshi M, Johnson J, Rajagopalan K. Molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis in Escherichia coli mod and mog mutants. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:4310-2 pubmed..The results are in accord with complete phenotypic repair of mod, and incomplete repair of mog, by culture in high concentrations of molybdate. A possible role for Mog as a molybdochelatase is discussed. ..
- McNicholas P, Chiang R, Gunsalus R. The Escherichia coli modE gene: effect of modE mutations on molybdate dependent modA expression. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1996;145:117-23 pubmed..Finally, a mutational analysis of a proposed molybdate binding motif indicates that this motif does not function in regulating the repressor activity of ModE. ..
- Shanmugam K, Stewart V, Gunsalus R, Boxer D, Cole J, Chippaux M, et al. Proposed nomenclature for the genes involved in molybdenum metabolism in Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. Mol Microbiol. 1992;6:3452-4 pubmed