Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mob
Description: molybdopterin-guanine dinucleotide synthase
Alias: ECK3849, JW3829, chlB, mob, narB
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Reiss J, Kleinhofs A, Klingmüller W. Cloning of seven differently complementing DNA fragments with chl functions from Escherichia coli K12. Mol Gen Genet. 1987;206:352-5 pubmed..The established complementation groups plus mutants of the chlD type represent eight distinct functions, which are all believed to be required for the molybdenum cofactor activity in the reduction of nitrate to nitrite by E. coli. ..
- Bachmann B. Linkage map of Escherichia coli K-12, edition 7. Microbiol Rev. 1983;47:180-230 pubmed
- Iobbi Nivol C, Palmer T, Whitty P, McNairn E, Boxer D. The mob locus of Escherichia coli K12 required for molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis is expressed at very low levels. Microbiology. 1995;141 ( Pt 7):1663-71 pubmedThe mob locus of Escherichia coli encodes functions which catalyse the synthesis of active molybdenum cofactor, molybdopterin guanine dinucleotide, from molybdopterin and GTP...
- del Campillo Campbell A, Campbell A. Molybdenum cofactor requirement for biotin sulfoxide reduction in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1982;149:469-78 pubmed..The products of four other E. coli genes (chlA, chlB, chlE and chlG) are also needed for enzymatic activity...
- Palmer T, Santini C, Iobbi Nivol C, Eaves D, Boxer D, Giordano G. Involvement of the narJ and mob gene products in distinct steps in the biosynthesis of the molybdoenzyme nitrate reductase in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1996;20:875-84 pubmedThe Escherichia coli mob locus is required for synthesis of active molybdenum cofactor, molybdopterin guanine dinucleotide...
- Adhya S, Cleary P, Campbell A. A deletion analysis of prophage lambda and adjacent genetic regions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1968;61:956-62 pubmed
- Rothery R, Grant J, Johnson J, Rajagopalan K, Weiner J. Association of molybdopterin guanine dinucleotide with Escherichia coli dimethyl sulfoxide reductase: effect of tungstate and a mob mutation. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:2057-63 pubmed..DmsABC) to be molybdopterin (MPT) guanine dinucleotide (MGD) and have studied the effects of tungstate and a mob mutation on cofactor (Mo-MGD) insertion. Tungstate severely inhibits anaerobic growth of E...
- Rothery R, Magalon A, Giordano G, Guigliarelli B, Blasco F, Weiner J. The molybdenum cofactor of Escherichia coli nitrate reductase A (NarGHI). Effect of a mobAB mutation and interactions with [Fe-S] clusters. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:7462-9 pubmed..0 of the highest potential [4Fe-4S] cluster. ..
- Guse A, Stevenson C, Kuper J, Buchanan G, Schwarz G, Giordano G, et al. Biochemical and structural analysis of the molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis protein MobA. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:25302-7 pubmed..Surprisingly, the individual and double substitution of asparagines 180 and 182 to aspartate did not affect MPT binding, catalysis, and product stabilization. ..
- Shanmugam K, Stewart V, Gunsalus R, Boxer D, Cole J, Chippaux M, et al. Proposed nomenclature for the genes involved in molybdenum metabolism in Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. Mol Microbiol. 1992;6:3452-4 pubmed
- Glaser J, DeMoss J. Comparison of nitrate reductase mutants of Escherichia coli selected by alternative procedures. Mol Gen Genet. 1972;116:1-10 pubmed
- Fimmel A, Haddock B. Use of chlC-lac fusions to determine regulation of gene chlC in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1979;138:726-30 pubmed..Gene fusions between the lac structural genes and the chlC locus were isolated, and the regulation of lac gene expression was studied. The fused lac genes were induced by nitrate anaerobically and repressed by the presence of oxygen. ..
- Rajagopalan K. Biosynthesis and processing of the molybdenum cofactors. Biochem Soc Trans. 1997;25:757-61 pubmed
- Neumann M, Seduk F, Iobbi Nivol C, Leimkuhler S. Molybdopterin dinucleotide biosynthesis in Escherichia coli: identification of amino acid residues of molybdopterin dinucleotide transferases that determine specificity for binding of guanine or cytosine nucleotides. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:1400-8 pubmed publisher..Analysis of protein-protein interactions showed that the C-terminal domain of either MocA or MobA determines the specific binding to the respective acceptor protein. ..
- Lambdren P, Guest J. A novel method for isolating chlorate-resistant mutants of Escherichia coli K12 by anaerobic selection on a lactate plus fumarate medium. J Gen Microbiol. 1976;93:173-6 pubmed