Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: moaD
Description: molybdopterin synthase, small subunit
Alias: ECK0773, JW0767, chlM
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Rivers S, McNairn E, Blasco F, Giordano G, Boxer D. Molecular genetic analysis of the moa operon of Escherichia coli K-12 required for molybdenum cofactor biosynthesis. Mol Microbiol. 1993;8:1071-81 pubmed..mutants, which have been biochemically characterized as defective in molybdopterin biosynthesis, indicates that these carry lesions in moaA and moaD respectively. The moa locus is orientated clockwise at 17.7 minutes in the chromosome.
- McNicholas P, Rech S, Gunsalus R. Characterization of the ModE DNA-binding sites in the control regions of modABCD and moaABCDE of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1997;23:515-24 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that ModE acts both as a repressor and activator of the mod and moa operons, respectively, depending on the properties of the binding site. ..
- Tong Y, Wuebbens M, Rajagopalan K, Fitzgerald M. Thermodynamic analysis of subunit interactions in Escherichia coli molybdopterin synthase. Biochemistry. 2005;44:2595-601 pubmedThe molybdopterin (MPT) synthase complex in Escherichia coli consists of two MoaE subunits and two MoaD subunits in a heterotetrameric structure with the two MoaE subunits forming a central dimer...
- Johnson M, Rajagopalan K. Involvement of chlA, E, M, and N loci in Escherichia coli molybdopterin biosynthesis. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:117-25 pubmed..genetic complementation groups from previously isolated chlA and chlE mutations and have been designated as chlM and chlN (closely linked to chlA and chlE, respectively)...
- Rudolph M, Wuebbens M, Rajagopalan K, Schindelin H. Crystal structure of molybdopterin synthase and its evolutionary relationship to ubiquitin activation. Nat Struct Biol. 2001;8:42-6 pubmed..The strong structural similarity between the small subunit of MPT synthase and ubiquitin provides evidence for the evolutionary antecedence of the Moco biosynthetic pathway to the ubiquitin dependent protein degradation pathway. ..
- Leimkuhler S, Wuebbens M, Rajagopalan K. Characterization of Escherichia coli MoeB and its involvement in the activation of molybdopterin synthase for the biosynthesis of the molybdenum cofactor. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:34695-701 pubmed..of Escherichia coli MoeB suggested that the MoeB-dependent formation of a C-terminal thiocarboxylate on the MoaD subunit of molybdopterin synthase might resemble the ubiquitin-activating step in the ubiquitin-targeted ..
- Leimkuhler S, Rajagopalan K. A sulfurtransferase is required in the transfer of cysteine sulfur in the in vitro synthesis of molybdopterin from precursor Z in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:22024-31 pubmed..A comparison of the ability of the three sulfurtransferases to provide the sulfur for MPT formation showed the highest activity for CSD in the in vitro system. ..
- Rajagopalan K. Biosynthesis and processing of the molybdenum cofactors. Biochem Soc Trans. 1997;25:757-61 pubmed