Gene Symbol: lit
Description: T4 phage exclusion protein; cell death peptidase, e14 prophage
Alias: ECK1125, JW1125
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Linder C, Carlson K, Albertioni F, Soderstrom J, Pahlson C. A late exclusion of bacteriophage T4 can be suppressed by Escherichia coli GroEL or Rho. Genetics. 1994;137:613-25 pubmed..GroEL-suppression restored packaging to normal levels, perhaps by preventing GP23 from activating the host Lit protein; in addition DNA synthesis was delayed and reduced and cell lysis enhanced, demonstrating involvement of ..
- Kraal B, Lippmann C, Kleanthous C. Translational regulation by modifications of the elongation factor Tu. Folia Microbiol (Praha). 1999;44:131-41 pubmed..T4 infection of E. coli may trigger a phase-exclusion mechanism by activation of Lit, a host-encoded proteinase...
- Bingham R, Ekunwe S, Falk S, Snyder L, Kleanthous C. The major head protein of bacteriophage T4 binds specifically to elongation factor Tu. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:23219-26 pubmedThe Lit protease in Escherichia coli K-12 strains induces cell death in response to bacteriophage T4 infection by cleaving translation elongation factor (EF) Tu and shutting down translation...
- Copeland N, Bingham R, Georgiou T, Cooper P, Kleanthous C. Identification of essential residues within Lit, a cell death peptidase of Escherichia coli K-12. Biochemistry. 2004;43:7948-53 pubmed..In strains of Escherichia coli K-12 infected with T4 phage this process is mediated by the host-encoded Lit peptidase...
- Bergsland K, Kao C, Yu Y, Gulati R, Snyder L. A site in the T4 bacteriophage major head protein gene that can promote the inhibition of all translation in Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1990;213:477-94 pubmedThe cryptic DNA element, e14, synthesizes a protein, Lit, which can inhibit gene expression late in T4 bacteriophage development...
- Yu Y, Snyder L. Translation elongation factor Tu cleaved by a phage-exclusion system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:802-6 pubmed..T4 multiples poorly in Escherichia coli strains carrying the defective prophage, e14; the e14 prophage contains the lit gene for late inhibitor of T4 in E. coli...
- Gottesman S. Protecting the neighborhood: extreme measures. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:2731-2 pubmed