Genomes and Genes
L arabinose isomerase
Gene Symbol: L arabinose isomerase
Description: L-arabinose isomerase
Alias: ECK0063, JW0061
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
Products: L arabinose isomerase
- Schleif R, Greenblatt J, Davis R. Dual control of arabinose genes on transducing phage lambda-dara. J Mol Biol. 1971;59:127-50 pubmed
- Patrick J, Lee N, Barnes N, Englesberg E. Coordination of enzyme synthesis in the L-arabinose operon in Escherichia coli. I. The effect of manganous ion on the synthesis of L-arabinose isomerase. J Biol Chem. 1971;246:5102-6 pubmed
- Roh H, Kim P, Park Y, Choi J. Bioconversion of D-galactose into D-tagatose by expression of L-arabinose isomerase. Biotechnol Appl Biochem. 2000;31 ( Pt 1):1-4 pubmed..coli with pTC101, pTC105 and pTC106, tagatose was produced from galactose in 9.9, 7.1 and 6.9% yields respectively. The enzyme extract of E. coli with the plasmid pTC101 also converted galactose into tagatose with a 96.4% yield. ..
- Casadaban M. Fusion of the Escherichia coli lac genes to the ara promoter: a general technique using bacteriophage Mu-1 insertions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1975;72:809-13 pubmed..These fusions extend the techniques available for studies on the lac operon to studies on the ara operon. It should be possible to fuse other operons by this method. ..
- Johnson C, Schleif R. In vivo induction kinetics of the arabinose promoters in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:3438-42 pubmed..5, 5, and 1, respectively. These results provide a basis for subsequent studies to determine the mechanism(s) by which AraC protein activates transcription from the different arabinose promoters. ..
- Ebright R, Beckwith J. The catabolite gene activator protein (CAP) is not required for indole-3-acetic acid to activate transcription of the araBAD operon of Escherichia coli K-12. Mol Gen Genet. 1985;201:51-5 pubmed..However, contrary to the results of Kline et al., we find that the action of IAA does not require CAP. Thus, IAA fully stimulates the transcription of araBAD in a strain which bears a complete deletion of the crp gene. ..
- Wade J, Struhl K. Association of RNA polymerase with transcribed regions in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:17777-82 pubmed..These observations suggest that in vivo association of sigma(70) and NusA with elongating RNAP is regulated by growth conditions. ..
- Manjasetty B, Chance M. Crystal structure of Escherichia coli L-arabinose isomerase (ECAI), the putative target of biological tagatose production. J Mol Biol. 2006;360:297-309 pubmed..Further, the crystal structure of ECAI forms a basis for identifying molecular determinants responsible for isomerization of arabinose to ribulose in vivo and galactose to tagatose in vitro. ..
- Schleif R. L-arabinose operon messenger of Escherichia coli. Its inducibility and translation efficiency relative to lactose operon messenger. J Mol Biol. 1971;61:275-9 pubmed
- Patrick J, Lee N. Subunit structure of L-arabinose isomerase from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1969;244:4277-83 pubmed
- Lee D, Schleif R. In vivo DNA loops in araCBAD: size limits and helical repeat. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:476-80 pubmed..As the spacing between araI and araO2 varied, the activity of PBAD oscillated with an 11.1-base-pair periodicity, implying that the in vivo helical repeat of this DNA is 11.1 base pairs per turn. ..
- Gross J, Englesberg E. Determination of the order of mutational sites governing L-arabinose utilization in Escherichia coli B/r bv transduction with phage Plbt. Virology. 1959;9:314-31 pubmed