Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: kefB
Description: potassium:proton antiporter
Alias: ECK3338, JW3313, trkB
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Trchounian A. Ion exchange in facultative anaerobes: does a proton-potassium pump exist in anaerobic Escherichia Coli?. Anaerobe. 1997;3:355-71 pubmed
- Booth I, Epstein W, Giffard P, Rowland G. Roles of the trkB and trkC gene products of Escherichia coli in K+ transport. Biochimie. 1985;67:83-9 pubmedMutations at the trkB and trkC loci of Escherichia coli produce an abnormal efflux of K+. The mutations are partially dominant in diploids and revert frequently by what appears to be intragenic suppression to the null state...
- Bakker E, Booth I, Dinnbier U, Epstein W, Gajewska A. Evidence for multiple K+ export systems in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:3743-9 pubmedThe role of the K+ transport systems encoded by the kefB (formerly trkB) and kefC (formerly trkC) genes of Escherichia coli in K+ efflux has been investigated...
- Booth I, Ferguson G, Miller S, Li C, Gunasekera B, Kinghorn S. Bacterial production of methylglyoxal: a survival strategy or death by misadventure?. Biochem Soc Trans. 2003;31:1406-8 pubmed..The KefB and KefC glutathione-gated K(+) efflux systems are integrated with the activity of the glyoxalase system to ..
- Ferguson G, Munro A, Douglas R, McLaggan D, Booth I. Activation of potassium channels during metabolite detoxification in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1993;9:1297-303 pubmed..g. Escherichia coli, such glutathione adducts activate one, or both, of a pair of potassium efflux systems KefB and KefC. These systems share many of the properties of cation-translocating channels in eukaryotes...
- Elmore M, Lamb A, Ritchie G, Douglas R, Munro A, Gajewska A, et al. Activation of potassium efflux from Escherichia coli by glutathione metabolites. Mol Microbiol. 1990;4:405-12 pubmed..critical factor is the formation of specific glutathione metabolites that activate transport systems encoded by the kefB and kefC gene products...
- Ferguson G, Nikolaev Y, McLaggan D, MacLean M, Booth I. Survival during exposure to the electrophilic reagent N-ethylmaleimide in Escherichia coli: role of KefB and KefC potassium channels. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:1007-12 pubmedThe role of the KefB and KefC potassium efflux systems in protecting Escherichia coli cells against the toxic effects of the electrophile N-ethylmaleimide has been investigated...