Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: kdpA
Description: potassium translocating ATPase, subunit A
Alias: ECK0686, JW0686, kac
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Schniederberend M, Zimmann P, Bogdanov M, Dowhan W, Altendorf K. Influence of K+-dependent membrane lipid composition on the expression of the kdpFABC operon in Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1798:32-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that kinase activity of KdpD is stimulated in its native membrane environment by fusion with liposomes of anionic, but reduced with liposomes of zwitterionic phospholipids. ..
- Siebers A, Altendorf K. The K+-translocating Kdp-ATPase from Escherichia coli. Purification, enzymatic properties and production of complex- and subunit-specific antisera. Eur J Biochem. 1988;178:131-40 pubmed..1 mM). The purification protocol was likewise applicable to the isolation of a KdpA mutant ATPase which in contrast to the wild-type enzyme exhibited an increased Km value for K+ of 6 mM and a 10-..
- Epstein W, Davies M. Potassium-dependant mutants of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1970;101:836-43 pubmed..1 mm. The mutants do not appear to have a primary alteration in K transport, and are therefore referred to as K-dependent. The abbreviation kdp is proposed for this class of mutant. ..
- Hesse J, Wieczorek L, Altendorf K, Reicin A, Dorus E, Epstein W. Sequence homology between two membrane transport ATPases, the Kdp-ATPase of Escherichia coli and the Ca2+-ATPase of sarcoplasmic reticulum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1984;81:4746-50 pubmed..The phosphorylated aspartate residue of the latter is within a region of homology. ..
- Rhoads D, Epstein W. Cation transport in Escherichia coli. IX. Regulation of K transport. J Gen Physiol. 1978;72:283-95 pubmed..The protonmotive-force dependence of the TrkA system is interpreted as a regulatory influence, limiting this system to exchange except when the protonmotive force is high. ..
- Altendorf K, Gassel M, Puppe W, Möllenkamp T, Zeeck A, Boddien C, et al. Structure and function of the Kdp-ATPase of Escherichia coli. Acta Physiol Scand Suppl. 1998;643:137-46 pubmedThe kdpFABC operon of Escherichia coli consists of the four structural genes kdpF, kdpA, kdpB, and kdpC. Expression of the kdpF gene was demonstrated using minicells of E. coli...
- Buurman E, Kim K, Epstein W. Genetic evidence for two sequentially occupied K+ binding sites in the Kdp transport ATPase. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:6678-85 pubmed..Most of the mutants have an altered KdpA subunit, a hydrophobic subunit not found in other P-type ATPases...
- Stumpe -, Bakker -. Requirement of a large K+-uptake capacity and of extracytoplasmic protease activity for protamine resistance of Escherichia coli. Arch Microbiol. 1997;167:126-36 pubmed..Cells that cannot take up K+ rapidly remain metabolically compromised to such an extent that extracytoplasmic protease activity is not induced, leading to a prolonged susceptibility of the cells to the toxic peptide. ..
- Siebers A, Altendorf K. Characterization of the phosphorylated intermediate of the K+-translocating Kdp-ATPase from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:5831-8 pubmed..level and on the ATPase activity was analyzed in purified wild-type enzyme (apparent Km = 10 microM) and a KdpA mutant ATPase exhibiting a lower affinity for K+ (Km = 6 mM)...
- Brandon L, Dorus S, Epstein W, Altendorf K, Jung K. Modulation of KdpD phosphatase implicated in the physiological expression of the kdp ATPase of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2000;38:1086-92 pubmed..The data also suggest that levels of activity in vitro may differ from what occurs in vivo, because in vitro conditions cannot replicate those in vivo. ..
- Trchounian A, Bagramyan K, Poladian A. Formate hydrogenlyase is needed for proton-potassium exchange through the F0F1-ATPase and the TrkA system in anaerobically grown and glycolysing Escherichia coli. Curr Microbiol. 1997;35:201-6 pubmed..H2 production was observed in the trkA trkD kdpA mutant...
- Ohashi K, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. Molecular basis for promoter selectivity of the transcriptional activator OmpR of Escherichia coli: isolation of mutants that can activate the non-cognate kdpABC promoter. J Biochem. 2005;137:51-9 pubmed..We propose that the promoter selectivity of OmpR is determined not only by its DNA-binding specificity, but also by the spatial configuration of the promoter on which OmpR must properly associate with RNA polymerase. ..
- Asha H, Gowrishankar J. Regulation of kdp operon expression in Escherichia coli: evidence against turgor as signal for transcriptional control. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:4528-37 pubmed..On the basis of these data, we discuss alternative candidates that might serve as the signal for control of kdp operon transcription. ..
- Greie J, Altendorf K. The K+-translocating KdpFABC complex from Escherichia coli: a P-type ATPase with unique features. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2007;39:397-402 pubmed..However, the translocation of the transport substrate, potassium, is mediated by the KdpA subunit, which comprises structural as well as functional homologies to MPM-type potassium channels like KcsA from ..
- Nakashima K, Sugiura A, Momoi H, Mizuno T. Phosphotransfer signal transduction between two regulatory factors involved in the osmoregulated kdp operon in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1992;6:1777-84 pubmed..We also developed a procedure for preparing cytoplasmic membrane enriched with the KdpD protein that exhibits in vitro ability with regard to phosphorylation of KdpE protein. ..
- Epstein W, Kim B. Potassium transport loci in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1971;108:639-44 pubmed..The trk loci are widely scattered over the E. coli chromosome; none of them is very near any other trk locus or near the kdp genes. ..
- Ferguson G, Chacko A, Lee C, Booth I, Lee C. The activity of the high-affinity K+ uptake system Kdp sensitizes cells of Escherichia coli to methylglyoxal. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:3957-61 pubmed
- Stumpe S, Bakker E. Requirement of a large K+-uptake capacity and of extracytoplasmic protease activity for protamine resistance of Escherichia coli. Arch Microbiol. 1997;167:126-36 pubmed..Cells that cannot take up K+ rapidly remain metabolically compromised to such an extent that extracytoplasmic protease activity is not induced, leading to a prolonged susceptibility of the cells to the toxic peptide. ..
- Frymier J, Reed T, Fletcher S, Csonka L. Characterization of transcriptional regulation of the kdp operon of Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:3061-3 pubmed..This result, which has not been reported for Escherichia coli, is inconsistent with the model in which the signal for the induction of the kdp operon is turgor loss. ..
- Altendorf K, Siebers A, Epstein W. The KDP ATPase of Escherichia coli. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1992;671:228-43 pubmed
- Roe A, McLaggan D, O Byrne C, Booth I. Rapid inactivation of the Escherichia coli Kdp K+ uptake system by high potassium concentrations. Mol Microbiol. 2000;35:1235-43 pubmed
- Heitkamp T, Bottcher B, Greie J. Solution structure of the KdpFABC P-type ATPase from Escherichia coli by electron microscopic single particle analysis. J Struct Biol. 2009;166:295-302 pubmed publisher..The model showed that the K+-translocating KdpA subunit is in close contact with the transmembrane region of the ATP-hydrolyzing subunit KdpB...
- Rhoads D, Laimins L, Epstein W. Functional organization of the kdp genes of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1978;135:445-52 pubmed..Deletions extending clockwise from kdp as far as the gltA locus were isolated from strains with bacteriophage lambda integrated into kdpD. Plaque-forming transducing lambda phages carrying the kdpABC operon were isolated. ..
- Gassel M, Möllenkamp T, Puppe W, Altendorf K. The KdpF subunit is part of the K(+)-translocating Kdp complex of Escherichia coli and is responsible for stabilization of the complex in vitro. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:37901-7 pubmed..polypeptide, KdpF, could be identified on high resolution SDS-polyacrylamide gels in addition to the subunits KdpA, KdpB, and KdpC. Furthermore, it could be demonstrated that KdpF remains associated with the purified complex...
- Nakashima K, Sugiura A, Kanamaru K, Mizuno T. Signal transduction between the two regulatory components involved in the regulation of the kdpABC operon in Escherichia coli: phosphorylation-dependent functioning of the positive regulator, KdpE. Mol Microbiol. 1993;7:109-16 pubmed
- Sugiura A, Nakashima K, Tanaka K, Mizuno T. Clarification of the structural and functional features of the osmoregulated kdp operon of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1992;6:1769-76 pubmed..e. in addition to them, a cis-acting sequence located upstream of the -35 region was essential for full activation of the promoter. This upstream sequence was demonstrated to be the target site for the trans-acting activator, KdpE. ..
- Gassel M, Siebers A, Epstein W, Altendorf K. Assembly of the Kdp complex, the multi-subunit K+-transport ATPase of Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1415:77-84 pubmed..the high affinity ATP-driven K+-transport system of Escherichia coli, is a complex of the membrane-bound subunits KdpA, KdpB, KdpC and the small peptide KdpF...
- Buurman E, McLaggan D, Naprstek J, Epstein W. Multiple paths for nonphysiological transport of K+ in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:4238-45 pubmed..These results support the view that TrkF is composed of multiple, "aberrant" K+ transport activities, i.e., paths that, regardless of their physiological function, allow K+ to cross the cell membrane by a uniport process. ..
- Bertrand J, Altendorf K, Bramkamp M. Amino acid substitutions in putative selectivity filter regions III and IV in KdpA alter ion selectivity of the KdpFABC complex from Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:5519-22 pubmed..The KdpA subunit, which has sequence homology to potassium channels of the KcsA type, has been shown to be important for ..
- Trchounian A. Ion exchange in facultative anaerobes: does a proton-potassium pump exist in anaerobic Escherichia Coli?. Anaerobe. 1997;3:355-71 pubmed
- Bramkamp M, Altendorf K, Greie J. Common patterns and unique features of P-type ATPases: a comparative view on the KdpFABC complex from Escherichia coli (Review). Mol Membr Biol. 2007;24:375-86 pubmed..This review compares generic features of P-type ATPases with the rather unique KdpFABC complex and gives a comprehensive overview of common principles of catalysis as well as of special aspects connected to distinct enzyme functions. ..
- Meury J, Lebail S, Kepes A. Opening of potassium channels in Escherichia coli membranes by thiol reagents and recovery of potassium tightness. Eur J Biochem. 1980;113:33-8 pubmed
- Hu G, Rice W, Dröse S, Altendorf K, Stokes D. Three-dimensional structure of the KdpFABC complex of Escherichia coli by electron tomography of two-dimensional crystals. J Struct Biol. 2008;161:411-8 pubmed..oligomeric composition and is notable for segregating K+ transport and ATP hydrolysis onto separate subunits (KdpA and KdpB, respectively)...
- Goldman D, Schultz S, Epstein W. Repressive control of potassium transport in Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1966;130:546-8 pubmed
- Gassel M, Altendorf K. Analysis of KdpC of the K(+)-transporting KdpFABC complex of Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 2001;268:1772-81 pubmed..ATP-driven K(+) transport system of Escherichia coli, is composed of the four membrane-bound subunits KdpF, KdpA, KdpB and KdpC...
- Sugiura A, Nakashima K, Mizuno T. Sequence-directed DNA curvature in activator-binding sequence in the Escherichia coli kdp ABC promoter. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1993;57:356-7 pubmed
- Rhoads D, Waters F, Epstein W. Cation transport in Escherichia coli. VIII. Potassium transport mutants. J Gen Physiol. 1976;67:325-41 pubmed..All transport systems are able to extrude Na during K uptake. The measurements of cell Na suggest that growing cells of E. coli have very low concentrations of Na, considerably lower than indicated by earlier studies. ..