Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ilvB
Description: acetolactate synthase 2 large subunit
Alias: ECK3662, JW3646
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Davis E, Blatt J, Henderson E, Whittaker J, Jackson J. Valine-sensitive acetohydroxy acid synthases in Escherichia coli K-12: unique regulation modulated by multiple genetic sites. Mol Gen Genet. 1977;156:239-49 pubmed
- Grimminger H, Umbarger H. Acetohydroxy acid synthase I of Escherichia coli: purification and properties. J Bacteriol. 1979;137:846-53 pubmed..The three enzymes can be readily distinguished from each other. Acetohydroxy acid synthase I, the product of the ilvB gene, has been purified to near homogeneity...
- Friden P, Donegan J, Mullen J, Tsui P, Freundlich M, Eoyang L, et al. The ilvB locus of Escherichia coli K-12 is an operon encoding both subunits of acetohydroxyacid synthase I. Nucleic Acids Res. 1985;13:3979-93 pubmedThe ilvB locus of Escherichia coli K-12 encloses two open reading frames defining polypeptides of 60,000 and 11,200 molecular weight. The entire locus, about 2.3 kb, is co-transcribed as an operon...
- Park J, Lee K, Kim T, Lee S. Metabolic engineering of Escherichia coli for the production of L-valine based on transcriptome analysis and in silico gene knockout simulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:7797-802 pubmed..These results suggest that an industrially competitive strain can be efficiently developed by metabolic engineering based on combined rational modification, transcriptome profiling, and systems-level in silico analysis. ..
- Guardiola J, De Felice M, Iaccarino M. Mutant of Escherichia coli K-12 missing acetolactate synthase activity. J Bacteriol. 1974;120:536-8 pubmed..At least one of three different genes (ilvG, ilvB, ilvI) is required for the expression of acetolactate synthase activity, thus suggesting the presence of three ..
- LEAVITT R, Umbarger H. Isoleucine and valine metabolism in Escherichia coli. XI. Valine inhibition of the growth of Escherichia coli strain K-12. J Bacteriol. 1962;83:624-30 pubmed..The levels of valine in the "free amino acid pool" were examined and found to be related to the differences in valine sensitivity of the acetolactate-forming systems of the three strains. ..
- Friden P, Newman T, Freundlich M. Nucleotide sequence of the ilvB promoter-regulatory region: a biosynthetic operon controlled by attenuation and cyclic AMP. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1982;79:6156-60 pubmedThe DNA sequence of the promoter-regulatory region of the ilvB operon of Escherichia coli was determined...
- Eoyang L, Silverman P. Purification and subunit composition of acetohydroxyacid synthase I from Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1984;157:184-9 pubmed
- Wek R, Hauser C, Hatfield G. The nucleotide sequence of the ilvBN operon of Escherichia coli: sequence homologies of the acetohydroxy acid synthase isozymes. Nucleic Acids Res. 1985;13:3995-4010 pubmed..The closest homology was seen between the AHAS I and AHAS II isozymes. On the basis of these comparisons a rationale for the evolution of the AHAS isozymes in E. coli has been proposed. ..
- Vinogradov V, Vyazmensky M, Engel S, Belenky I, Kaplun A, Kryukov O, et al. Acetohydroxyacid synthase isozyme I from Escherichia coli has unique catalytic and regulatory properties. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1760:356-63 pubmed..We have cloned the two subunits, ilvB and ilvN, of this Escherichia coli isoenzyme and examined the enzymatic properties of the purified holoenzyme and ..
- Engel S, Vyazmensky M, Berkovich D, Barak Z, Chipman D. Substrate range of acetohydroxy acid synthase I from Escherichia coli in the stereoselective synthesis of alpha-hydroxy ketones. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2004;88:825-31 pubmed..AHAS I is an effective biosynthetic platform for production of a variety of alpha-hydroxy ketones, compounds with considerable potential as pharmacological precursors. ..
- Newman T, Levinthal M. A new map location for the ilvB locus of Escherichia coli. Genetics. 1980;96:59-77 pubmedWe isolated, in E. coli K12, new alleles of the ilvB locus, the structural gene for acetolactate synthase isoenzyme I, and showed them to map at or near the ilvB619 site...
- Gollop N, Chipman D, Barak Z. Inhibition of acetohydroxy acid synthase by leucine. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1983;748:34-9 pubmed..coli K-12. ..
- Chang Y, Cronan J, Li S, Reed K, Vanden Boom T, Wang A. Locations of the lip, poxB, and ilvBN genes on the physical map of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:5258-9 pubmed
- Hauser C, Hatfield G. Nucleotide sequence of the ilvB multivalent attenuator region of Escherichia coli K12. Nucleic Acids Res. 1983;11:127-39 pubmedThe ilvB gene of Escherichia coli K12 has been cloned into a multicopy plasmid. The regulation of the cloned gene by valine or leucine limitation and by catabolite repression is the same as for the chromosome encoded gene...
- Sutton A, Newman T, Francis M, Freundlich M. Valine-resistant Escherichia coli K-12 strains with mutations in the ilvB operon. J Bacteriol. 1981;148:998-1001 pubmed..These strains contained mutations in the ilvB operon effecting either the regulation of acetohydroxy acid synthase I or the sensitivity of the enzyme to end ..
- Newman T, Friden P, Sutton A, Freundlich M. Cloning and expression of the ilvB gene of Escherichia coli K-12. Mol Gen Genet. 1982;186:378-84 pubmedA plasmid containing the ilvB operon, which codes for acetohydroxy acid synthase I of Escherichia coli K-12, was isolated using a ligated mixture of DNA from plasmid pBR322 and FilvB4 treated with endonuclease SalI...
- Weinstock O, Sella C, Chipman D, Barak Z. Properties of subcloned subunits of bacterial acetohydroxy acid synthases. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:5560-6 pubmed..The small subunits are required, however, for specific stabilization of an active conformation of the large subunits as well as for value sensitivity. ..
- Yang C, Shapiro B, Hung S, Mjolsness E, Hatfield G. A mathematical model for the branched chain amino acid biosynthetic pathways of Escherichia coli K12. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:11224-32 pubmed..This model simulates the results of experimental measurements. ..
- Lee C, Koo B, Cho S, Kim Y, Yoon M, Peterkofsky A, et al. Requirement of the dephospho-form of enzyme IIANtr for derepression of Escherichia coli K-12 ilvBN expression. Mol Microbiol. 2005;58:334-44 pubmed
- Vyazmensky M, Engel S, Kryukov O, Berkovich Berger D, Kaplun L. Construction of an active acetohydroxyacid synthase I with a flexible linker connecting the catalytic and the regulatory subunits. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1764:955-960 pubmed..The most successful BuXN linked protein (Bu30N-r) was inserted into and expressed in yeast and its catalytic properties were tested. ..
- La Cara F, De Felice M. Chromatographic detection of the acetohydroxy acid synthase isoenzymes of Escherichia coli K-12. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1979;91:319-26 pubmed
- De Felice M, Guardiola J, Schreil W, Levinthal M, Iaccarino M. Metabolic interlock between the acetolactate synthase isoenzymes and lysine biosynthesis in Escherichia coli K-12. Mol Gen Genet. 1977;156:9-16 pubmed
- Silverman P, Eoyang L. Alkylation of acetohydroxyacid synthase I from Escherichia coli K-12 by 3-bromopyruvate: evidence for a single active site catalyzing acetolactate and acetohydroxybutyrate synthesis. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:2494-9 pubmed..More than 95% of the incorporated radioactivity coelectrophoresed with the 60-kilodalton IlvB subunit of the enzyme through a sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel; less than 5% coelectrophoresed with the ..
- Guardiola J, De Felice M, Lamberti A, Iaccarino M. The acetolactate synthase isoenzymes of Escherichia coli K-12. Mol Gen Genet. 1977;156:17-25 pubmed