Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ihfA
Description: integration host factor (IHF), DNA-binding protein, alpha subunit
Alias: ECK1710, JW1702, hid, himA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Swinger K, Rice P. IHF and HU: flexible architects of bent DNA. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2004;14:28-35 pubmed..These techniques include time-resolved synchrotron X-ray footprinting, differential scanning calorimetry, isothermal titration calorimetry and single-molecule experiments. ..
- Zulianello L, de la Gorgue de Rosny E, van Ulsen P, van de Putte P, Goosen N. The HimA and HimD subunits of integration host factor can specifically bind to DNA as homodimers. EMBO J. 1994;13:1534-40 pubmed..We have isolated the individual subunits of IHF, HimA and HimD, and show that an active IHF protein can be reconstituted from these subunits...
- Luijsterburg M, Noom M, Wuite G, Dame R. The architectural role of nucleoid-associated proteins in the organization of bacterial chromatin: a molecular perspective. J Struct Biol. 2006;156:262-72 pubmed..In this review, we provide an overview of the major nucleoid-associated proteins from a structural perspective and we discuss their possible roles in dynamically shaping the bacterial nucleoid. ..
- Azam T, Hiraga S, Ishihama A. Two types of localization of the DNA-binding proteins within the Escherichia coli nucleoid. Genes Cells. 2000;5:613-26 pubmed..coli could be classified into two groups. One group proteins was distributed uniformly within the nucleoid, but the other group of proteins showed an irregular distribution, forming immuno-stained spots or clumps. ..
- Colland F, Barth M, Hengge Aronis R, Kolb A. sigma factor selectivity of Escherichia coli RNA polymerase: role for CRP, IHF and lrp transcription factors. EMBO J. 2000;19:3028-37 pubmed..This different ability of the two holoenzymes to interact productively with promoters once assembled in complex nucleoprotein structures may be a crucial factor in generating sigma(S) selectivity in vivo. ..
- von Freiesleben U, Rasmussen K, Atlung T, Hansen F. Rifampicin-resistant initiation of chromosome replication from oriC in ihf mutants. Mol Microbiol. 2000;37:1087-93 pubmed..This indicates that cells lacking IHF replicate their chromosome(s) very fast. ..
- Wang S, Cosstick R, Gardner J, Gumport R. The specific binding of Escherichia coli integration host factor involves both major and minor grooves of DNA. Biochemistry. 1995;34:13082-90 pubmed..Thus, the specific interaction of IHF with its H' site likely involves interactions with both the minor and major grooves of the DNA. ..
- Engelhorn M, Geiselmann J. Maximal transcriptional activation by the IHF protein of Escherichia coli depends on optimal DNA bending by the activator. Mol Microbiol. 1998;30:431-41 pubmed..We propose that wild-type IHF induces too strong a DNA bend (180 degrees) for optimal interactions between DNA upstream of the IHF binding site and the back of RNA polymerase. ..
- Zurla C, Samuely T, Bertoni G, Valle F, Dietler G, Finzi L, et al. Integration host factor alters LacI-induced DNA looping. Biophys Chem. 2007;128:245-52 pubmed
- Fayat G, Mayaux J, Sacerdot C, Fromant M, Springer M, Grunberg Manago M, et al. Escherichia coli phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase operon region. Evidence for an attenuation mechanism. Identification of the gene for the ribosomal protein L20. J Mol Biol. 1983;171:239-61 pubmed..Further evidence is provided for this model by the features of pheS, T regulation in vivo (see the accompanying paper). ..
- Boubrik F, Bonnefoy E, Rouviere Yaniv J. HU and IHF: similarities and differences. In Escherichia coli, the lack of HU is not compensated for by IHF. Res Microbiol. 1991;142:239-47 pubmed
- Becker N, Kahn J, Maher L. Effects of nucleoid proteins on DNA repression loop formation in Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:3988-4000 pubmed..These results suggest that host nucleoid proteins can directly facilitate or inhibit DNA looping in bacteria. ..
- Giladi H, Gottesman M, Oppenheim A. Integration host factor stimulates the phage lambda pL promoter. J Mol Biol. 1990;213:109-21 pubmed..IHF may stimulate recognition of pL by one or more of several mechanisms: (1) by bending DNA; (2) by making protein-protein contacts with RNA polymerase; or (3) by occluding a competing promoter upstream from pL. ..
- Goodrich J, Schwartz M, McClure W. Searching for and predicting the activity of sites for DNA binding proteins: compilation and analysis of the binding sites for Escherichia coli integration host factor (IHF). Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:4993-5000 pubmed..The MacTargsearch program and its potential usefulness in searching for other sites and predicting their relative activities is discussed. ..
- Browning D, Lee D, Wolfe A, Cole J, Busby S. The Escherichia coli K-12 NarL and NarP proteins insulate the nrf promoter from the effects of integration host factor. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:7449-56 pubmed..The acs-nrf regulatory region is conserved in other pathogenic E. coli strains and related enteric bacteria but differs in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. ..
- Pagel J, Winkelman J, Adams C, Hatfield G. DNA topology-mediated regulation of transcription initiation from the tandem promoters of the ilvGMEDA operon of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1992;224:919-35 pubmed
- Vander Meulen K, Saecker R, Record M. Formation of a wrapped DNA-protein interface: experimental characterization and analysis of the large contributions of ions and water to the thermodynamics of binding IHF to H' DNA. J Mol Biol. 2008;377:9-27 pubmed publisher..7+/-0.4 at constant KCl activity, indicating the net release of ca. 150 H(2)O molecules from anionic surface. ..
- Paul L, Mishra P, Blumenthal R, Matthews R. Integration of regulatory signals through involvement of multiple global regulators: control of the Escherichia coli gltBDF operon by Lrp, IHF, Crp, and ArgR. BMC Microbiol. 2007;7:2 pubmed
- Giladi H, Koby S, Gottesman M, Oppenheim A. Supercoiling, integration host factor, and a dual promoter system, participate in the control of the bacteriophage lambda pL promoter. J Mol Biol. 1992;224:937-48 pubmed..In addition, IHF enhances RNA polymerase binding to pL. These data suggest that stimulation of pL by IHF involves the interaction of IHF and RNA polymerase to form a loop or otherwise distort the DNA between their binding sites. ..
- Kur J, Hasan N, Szybalski W. Integration host factor (IHF) binds to many sites in the A + T-rich b2 region of phage lambda DNA. Gene. 1992;111:1-9 pubmed..We discuss the possibility that some of the IHF-binding sites could be instrumental in repressing in vivo transcription from the A + T-rich b2 region during the lambda prophage state [Rosenvold et al., Virology 107 (1980) 476-487]. ..
- Mendelson I, Gottesman M, Oppenheim A. HU and integration host factor function as auxiliary proteins in cleavage of phage lambda cohesive ends by terminase. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:1670-6 pubmed..We propose that HU or IHF is required to establish the higher-order DNA-protein structure at cos that is the substrate for lambda terminase. ..
- Mendelson I, Haluzi H, Koby S, Oppenheim A. Physical map locations of the himA and hip genes of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:5249 pubmed
- Ramani N, Huang L, Freundlich M. In vitro interactions of integration host factor with the ompF promoter-regulatory region of Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1992;231:248-55 pubmed..This inhibition was reversed by increasing the concentration of OmpR, a positive activator required for ompF expression, suggesting that IHF may inhibit ompF transcription by altering how OmpR interacts with the ompF promoter. ..
- Miller H, Friedman D. An E. coli gene product required for lambda site-specific recombination. Cell. 1980;20:711-9 pubmedWe report characteristics of himA mutations of E. coli, selected for their inability to support the site-specific recombination reaction involved in the formation of lysogens by bacteriophage lambda...
- Zulianello L, van Ulsen P, van de Putte P, Goosen N. Participation of the flank regions of the integration host factor protein in the specificity and stability of DNA binding. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:17902-7 pubmed..In contrast the corresponding alpha 3 helix of HimA is essential for the sequence specificity, since an IHF mutant lacking this domain only binds to the DNA in a non-..
- Kuroda A, Nomura K, Takiguchi N, Kato J, Ohtake H. Inorganic polyphosphate stimulates lon-mediated proteolysis of nucleoid proteins in Escherichia coli. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2006;52:23-9 pubmed..Fusions of green fluorescent protein with HimA, Fis, HupA, and HupB were clearly associated with polyP in vivo...
- Weisberg R, Freundlich M, Friedman D, Gardner J, Goosen N, Nash H, et al. Nomenclature of the genes encoding IHF. Mol Microbiol. 1996;19:642 pubmed
- Sugimura S, Crothers D. Stepwise binding and bending of DNA by Escherichia coli integration host factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:18510-4 pubmed..Our observations on the bending step kinetics are in agreement with results using the temperature-jump kinetic method. ..
- Yang C, Nash H. The interaction of E. coli IHF protein with its specific binding sites. Cell. 1989;57:869-80 pubmed
- Bonnefoy E, Rouviere Yaniv J. HU and IHF, two homologous histone-like proteins of Escherichia coli, form different protein-DNA complexes with short DNA fragments. EMBO J. 1991;10:687-96 pubmed..coli (IHF) form different structures with the same DNA fragments. Moreover, HU seems to enhance the DNA-binding capacity of IHF to a DNA fragment which does not contain its consensus sequence. ..
- Rowbury R, Hussain N. Exposure of Escherichia coli to acid habituation conditions sensitizes it to alkaline stress. Lett Appl Microbiol. 1996;22:57-61 pubmed..Alkali sensitivity failed to appear at pHo 5.5 plus DNA gyrase inhibitors and was markedly reduced by himA, himD, hns, ompC and nhaA lesions. A tonB deletion mutant showed alkali sensitivity at pHo 7.0...
- Kaur G, Vora M, Czerwonka C, Rozgaja T, Grimwade J, Leonard A. Building the bacterial orisome: high-affinity DnaA recognition plays a role in setting the conformation of oriC DNA. Mol Microbiol. 2014;91:1148-63 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which interaction of DnaA molecules at high-affinity sites regulates oriC DNA conformation. ..
- Frumerie C, Sylwan L, Ahlgren Berg A, Haggård Ljungquist E. Cooperative interactions between bacteriophage P2 integrase and its accessory factors IHF and Cox. Virology. 2005;332:284-94 pubmed..The Int and Cox proteins also bind cooperatively to attP...
- Nystrom T. Glucose starvation stimulon of Escherichia coli: role of integration host factor in starvation survival and growth phase-dependent protein synthesis. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:5707-10 pubmed..Overexpression of IHF during balanced growth was not sufficient to induce these proteins, but it resulted in an increased synthesis of rpoH-dependent heat shock proteins. ..
- Pellicer M, Fernandez C, Badia J, Aguilar J, Lin E, Baldom L. Cross-induction of glc and ace operons of Escherichia coli attributable to pathway intersection. Characterization of the glc promoter. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:1745-52 pubmed..The similar pattern of regulation of the Glc and Ace systems by IHF and ArcA-P ensures their effective cross-induction. ..
- Nozaki S, Yamada Y, Ogawa T. Initiator titration complex formed at datA with the aid of IHF regulates replication timing in Escherichia coli. Genes Cells. 2009;14:329-41 pubmed publisher..Therefore, IHF is a unique element in the control of replication initiation that acts negatively at datA, while known to act as a positive regulator at oriC. ..
- Aeling K, Opel M, Steffen N, Tretyachenko Ladokhina V, Hatfield G, Lathrop R, et al. Indirect recognition in sequence-specific DNA binding by Escherichia coli integration host factor: the role of DNA deformation energy. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:39236-48 pubmed
- Lee E, Hales L, Gumport R, Gardner J. The isolation and characterization of mutants of the integration host factor (IHF) of Escherichia coli with altered, expanded DNA-binding specificities. EMBO J. 1992;11:305-13 pubmed..It is composed of two subunits, alpha and beta, that are encoded by the himA and hip (himD) genes, respectively. IHF is a sequence-specific DNA-binding protein and bends the DNA when it binds...
- Vitko J, Rujan I, Androga L, Mukerji I, Bolton P. Molecular beacon-equilibrium cyclization detection of DNA-protein complexes. Biophys J. 2007;93:3210-7 pubmed..These MBEC results have been compared with those from other approaches. ..
- Browning D, Cole J, Busby S. Transcription activation by remodelling of a nucleoprotein assembly: the role of NarL at the FNR-dependent Escherichia coli nir promoter. Mol Microbiol. 2004;53:203-15 pubmed
- Lloyd L, Jones S, Jovanovic G, Gyaneshwar P, Rolfe M, Thompson A, et al. Identification of a new member of the phage shock protein response in Escherichia coli, the phage shock protein G (PspG). J Biol Chem. 2004;279:55707-14 pubmed..Because yjbO is co-conserved and co-regulated with the psp operon and is a member of the phage shock protein F regulon, we propose that yjbO be renamed pspG. ..
- Moitoso de Vargas L, Kim S, Landy A. DNA looping generated by DNA bending protein IHF and the two domains of lambda integrase. Science. 1989;244:1457-61 pubmed..The bivalent DNA binding protein is positioned at high affinity sites and directed, by a DNA bending protein, to interactions with distant lower affinity sites. Assembly of this complex is independent of protein-protein interactions. ..
- Pereira R, Ortuno M, Lawther R. Binding of integration host factor (IHF) to the ilvGp1 promoter of the ilvGMEDA operon of Escherichia coli K12. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16:5973-89 pubmed..Analysis with mutant strains of E. coli K-12 and purified IHF indicate that IHF binds to ilvGp1. Furthermore, both analysis in vivo and in vitro indicate that IHF precludes transcription from ilvGp1. ..
- Ellenberger T, Landy A. A good turn for DNA: the structure of integration host factor bound to DNA. Structure. 1997;5:153-7 pubmed..IHF exerts leverage in the minor groove and wraps DNA around the body of the protein, providing another example of sequence-specific recognition of the minor groove. ..
- Dhavan G, Crothers D, Chance M, Brenowitz M. Concerted binding and bending of DNA by Escherichia coli integration host factor. J Mol Biol. 2002;315:1027-37 pubmed
- Ryan V, Grimwade J, Nievera C, Leonard A. IHF and HU stimulate assembly of pre-replication complexes at Escherichia coli oriC by two different mechanisms. Mol Microbiol. 2002;46:113-24 pubmed..HU did not redistribute DnaA, but suppressed binding specifically at I3. These results suggest that different pathways mediated by bacterial chromatin proteins exist to regulate pre-RC assembly and unwind oriC. ..
- Ryan V, Grimwade J, Camara J, Crooke E, Leonard A. Escherichia coli prereplication complex assembly is regulated by dynamic interplay among Fis, IHF and DnaA. Mol Microbiol. 2004;51:1347-59 pubmed
- Engelhorn M, Boccard F, Murtin C, Prentki P, Geiselmann J. In vivo interaction of the Escherichia coli integration host factor with its specific binding sites. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:2959-65 pubmed..The occupancy of binding sites varies with the concentration of IHF in the cell and allows to estimate the concentration of free IHF protein in the cell. ..
- Mart nez Santos V, Medrano L pez A, Salda a Z, Gir n J, Puente J. Transcriptional regulation of the ecp operon by EcpR, IHF, and H-NS in attaching and effacing Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:5020-33 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates evidence about the interplay between a novel member of a diverse family of regulatory proteins and global regulators in the regulation of a fimbrial operon...
- Prieto A, Kahramanoglou C, Ali R, Fraser G, Seshasayee A, Luscombe N. Genomic analysis of DNA binding and gene regulation by homologous nucleoid-associated proteins IHF and HU in Escherichia coli K12. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:3524-37 pubmed publisher..Finally, by performing ChIP-seq experiments, where possible, of each subunit of IHF and HU in the absence of the other subunit, we define genome-wide maps of DNA binding of the proteins in their hetero- and homodimeric forms...
- dos Santos M, Rodrigues P. A genomic-scale search for regulatory binding sites in the integration host factor regulon of Escherichia coli K12. Genet Mol Res. 2005;4:783-9 pubmed..We concluded that IHF may regulate two genes encoding ATP-dependent RNA helicases. This interaction is not described in RegulonDB, even as a computational prediction. IHF may also regulate RNA modification processes. ..
- Presutti D, Hassan H. Binding of integration host factor (IHF) to the Escherichia coli sodA gene and its role in the regulation of a sodA-lacZ fusion gene. Mol Gen Genet. 1995;246:228-35 pubmed..Mobility-shift experiments with cell-free extracts prepared from himA (IHF-negative) mutant strains lacked a specific DNA-protein band relative to shifts made with wild-type extracts...
- Kuznetsov S, Sugimura S, Vivas P, Crothers D, Ansari A. Direct observation of DNA bending/unbending kinetics in complex with DNA-bending protein IHF. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:18515-20 pubmed..Thus, our results suggest that spontaneous thermal disruption in base-paring, nucleated at an A:T site, may be sufficient to overcome the free energy barrier needed to partially bend/kink DNA before forming a tight complex with IHF. ..
- Lee S, Lim C, DrÃ¶ge P, Yan J. Regulation of Bacterial DNA Packaging in Early Stationary Phase by Competitive DNA Binding of Dps and IHF. Sci Rep. 2015;5:18146 pubmed publisher..The environment dependent selection between IHF and Dps results in different physical organizations of DNA. Overall, our findings provide important insights into E. coli nucleoid architecture. ..
- Nash H, Robertson C, Flamm E, Weisberg R, Miller H. Overproduction of Escherichia coli integration host factor, a protein with nonidentical subunits. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:4124-7 pubmed..We have constructed strains in which the two subunits of IHF, encoded by the himA and hip genes of Escherichia coli, are expressed under the control of the lambda rho L promoter...
- Pagel J, Hatfield G. Integration host factor-mediated expression of the ilvGMEDA operon of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:1985-96 pubmed
- Grimwade J, Ryan V, Leonard A. IHF redistributes bound initiator protein, DnaA, on supercoiled oriC of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2000;35:835-44 pubmed
- Sut M, Mihajlovic S, Lang S, Gruber C, Zechner E. Protein and DNA effectors control the TraI conjugative helicase of plasmid R1. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:6888-99 pubmed publisher..The data support a model where protein-protein and DNA ligand interactions at the coupling protein interface coordinate the transition initiating production and uptake of the nucleoprotein secretion substrate. ..
- Mumm J, Landy A, Gelles J. Viewing single lambda site-specific recombination events from start to finish. EMBO J. 2006;25:4586-95 pubmed..Our kinetic analysis shows that directionality of this recombination reaction is conferred by the irreversibility of multiple reaction steps. ..
- Mayaux J, Fayat G, Panvert M, Springer M, Grunberg Manago M, Blanquet S. Control of phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase genetic expression. Site-directed mutagenesis of the pheS, T operon regulatory region in vitro. J Mol Biol. 1985;184:31-44 pubmed
- Friedman D. Integration host factor: a protein for all reasons. Cell. 1988;55:545-54 pubmed
- Hoover T, Santero E, Porter S, Kustu S. The integration host factor stimulates interaction of RNA polymerase with NIFA, the transcriptional activator for nitrogen fixation operons. Cell. 1990;63:11-22 pubmed..IHF binds to nif promoter regulatory regions from a variety of organisms within the phylum "purple bacteria," suggesting a general ability to stimulate NIFA-mediated activation of nif transcription. ..
- Lyzeń R, Kochanowska M, Wegrzyn G, Szalewska Pałasz A. IHF- and SeqA-binding sites, present in plasmid cloning vectors, may significantly influence activities of promoters. Plasmid. 2008;60:125-30 pubmed publisher..This may have a significant impact on experiments employing recombinant genes cloned in plasmids and on choosing appropriate plasmid vectors...
- Snyder U, Thompson J, Landy A. Phasing of protein-induced DNA bends in a recombination complex. Nature. 1989;341:255-7 pubmed..IHF, which appears to bend DNA by more than 140 degrees, is a major determinant of the DNA path in the recombination complex and is also involved in a wide range of other cellular events. ..
- Nuñez J, Bai L, Harrington L, Hinder T, Doudna J. CRISPR Immunological Memory Requires a Host Factor for Specificity. Mol Cell. 2016;62:824-833 pubmed publisher..Together, these results reveal that Cas1-Cas2-mediated spacer integration requires IHF-induced target DNA bending and explain the elusive role of CRISPR leader sequences during spacer acquisition. ..
- Charlier D, Roovers M, Gigot D, Huysveld N, Pierard A, Glansdorff N. Integration host factor (IHF) modulates the expression of the pyrimidine-specific promoter of the carAB operons of Escherichia coli K12 and Salmonella typhimurium LT2. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;237:273-86 pubmed..Band-shift assays, performed with S-30 extracts of the wild type and a himA, hip double mutant or with purified IHF demonstrate that, in vitro, this factor binds to a region 300 bp upstream ..
- Ortega M, Catalano C. Bacteriophage lambda gpNu1 and Escherichia coli IHF proteins cooperatively bind and bend viral DNA: implications for the assembly of a genome-packaging motor. Biochemistry. 2006;45:5180-9 pubmed..The relevance of these results with respect to the assembly of a viral DNA-packaging motor is discussed. ..
- Granston A, Nash H. Characterization of a set of integration host factor mutants deficient for DNA binding. J Mol Biol. 1993;234:45-59 pubmed..We discuss the positions of the mutant amino acid residues as they relate to a proposed molecular model of an IHF:DNA complex. ..
- Friedrich M, De Veaux L, Kadner R. Nucleotide sequence of the btuCED genes involved in vitamin B12 transport in Escherichia coli and homology with components of periplasmic-binding-protein-dependent transport systems. J Bacteriol. 1986;167:928-34 pubmed..The nucleotide sequence of the 3,410-base-pair HindIII-HincII DNA fragment carrying a portion of the himA gene and the entire btuCED region was determined...
- Springer M, Trudel M, Graffe M, Plumbridge J, Fayat G, Mayaux J, et al. Escherichia coli phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase operon is controlled by attenuation in vivo. J Mol Biol. 1983;171:263-79 pubmed..indicate that phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase is controlled by attenuation in a way analogous to several amino acid biosynthetic operons. ..
- Nelson W, Howard M, Sherman J, Matson S. The traY gene product and integration host factor stimulate Escherichia coli DNA helicase I-catalyzed nicking at the F plasmid oriT. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:28374-80 pubmed..These data, coupled with data presented in the accompanying report, suggest that TraYp and IHF bind independent of one another, forming a nucleo-protein complex with oriT that can be recognized and nicked by TraIp. ..
- César C, Llosa M. TrwC-mediated site-specific recombination is controlled by host factors altering local DNA topology. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:9037-43 pubmed..TrwA would then activate both recombination and conjugation by switching the conformation of the relaxosome to an "open" form that exposes single-stranded DNA at the nic site, promoting the initial TrwC nicking reaction. ..
- Davidge K, Sanguinetti G, Yee C, Cox A, McLeod C, Monk C, et al. Carbon monoxide-releasing antibacterial molecules target respiration and global transcriptional regulators. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4516-24 pubmed publisher..Our discovery that CORM-3 is an effective inhibitor and global regulator of gene expression, especially under aerobic conditions, has important implications for administration of CO-releasing agents in sepsis and inflammation. ..
- Wu Y, Datta P. Integration host factor is required for positive regulation of the tdc operon of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:233-40 pubmed..coli integration host factor (IHF). In an himA (IHF-deficient) strain, expression of beta-galactosidase from a tdcB'-'lacZ protein fusion plasmid was about 10% of ..
- Oppenheim A, Rudd K, Mendelson I, Teff D. Integration host factor binds to a unique class of complex repetitive extragenic DNA sequences in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1993;10:113-22 pubmed..It is estimated that there are about 70 RIP elements in E. coli. Our analysis shows that the RIP elements are evenly distributed around the bacterial chromosome. The possible function of the RIP element is discussed. ..
- Miller H, Kirk M, Echols H. SOS induction and autoregulation of the himA gene for site-specific recombination in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1981;78:6754-8 pubmedThe himA gene of EScherichia coli controls the lysogenization of bacteriophage lambda at the level of catalysis of site-specific recombination and expression of the lambda int and cI genes required for lysogenic development...
- Mengeritsky G, Goldenberg D, Mendelson I, Giladi H, Oppenheim A. Genetic and biochemical analysis of the integration host factor of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1993;231:646-57 pubmed..heterodimeric DNA-binding protein of Escherichia coli composed of two subunits, alpha and beta, encoded by the himA and hip genes, respectively. IHF binds to the minor groove at a consensus sequence and bends DNA...
- Dame R, van Mameren J, Luijsterburg M, Mysiak M, Janićijević A, Pazdzior G, et al. Analysis of scanning force microscopy images of protein-induced DNA bending using simulations. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:e68 pubmed..In this manner, we were able to obtain accurate estimates for the bending angles induced by nuclear factor I, octamer-binding transcription factor 1, the human XPC-Rad23B complex and integration host factor [correction] ..
- Boccard F, Prentki P. Specific interaction of IHF with RIBs, a class of bacterial repetitive DNA elements located at the 3' end of transcription units. EMBO J. 1993;12:5019-27 pubmed..RIB elements are at the end of transcription units, and thus define a new class of ihf sites. Possible implications for genome structure and DNA topology are discussed. ..
- Miller H, Kikuchi A, Nash H, Weisberg R, Friedman D. Site-specific recombination of bacteriophage lambda: the role of host gene products. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1979;43 Pt 2:1121-6 pubmed