Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hycE
Description: hydrogenase 3, large subunit
Alias: ECK2716, JW2691, hevE
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Theodoratou E, Paschos A, Mintz Weber -, Bock A. Analysis of the cleavage site specificity of the endopeptidase involved in the maturation of the large subunit of hydrogenase 3 from Escherichia coli. Arch Microbiol. 2000;173:110-6 pubmed..The amino acid sequence requirements for the endopeptidase HycI involved in the C-terminal processing of HycE, the large subunit of the hydrogenase 3 from Escherichia coli, were investigated...
- Blokesch M, Bock A. Maturation of [NiFe]-hydrogenases in Escherichia coli: the HypC cycle. J Mol Biol. 2002;324:287-96 pubmed..In the absence of the hycE gene, the HypC-HypD complex did not disappear upon addition of citrulline but developed into a form migrating ..
- Zhang J, Butland G, Greenblatt J, Emili A, Zamble D. A role for SlyD in the Escherichia coli hydrogenase biosynthetic pathway. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:4360-6 pubmed..Western analysis revealed a decrease in the final proteolytic processing of the hydrogenase 3 HycE protein, indicating that the metal center was not assembled properly...
- Trchunian A, Ogandzhanian E, Mironova G, Martirosov S. [K+-dependent enzyme activity of H+-ATPase in the E. coli membrane]. Biofizika. 1991;36:102-4 pubmed..coli depended on K+ activity. F1F0 include two additional proteins which correspond to the Trk system. The data improve the possibility to form supercomplex (F1F0-Trk) functioning as the H(+)-K(+)-pump. ..
- Bagramyan K, Martirosov S. Formation of an ion transport supercomplex in Escherichia coli. An experimental model of direct transduction of energy. FEBS Lett. 1989;246:149-52 pubmed..Within this supercomplex direct transduction of energy is accomplished via oxidation of 2 SH to S-S. ..
- Lloyd J, Cole J, Macaskie L. Reduction and removal of heptavalent technetium from solution by Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:2014-21 pubmed..coli. This appears to be the first report of Hyc functioning as an H2-oxidizing hydrogenase or as a dissimilatory metal ion reductase in enteric bacteria. ..
- Magalon A, Bock A. Dissection of the maturation reactions of the [NiFe] hydrogenase 3 from Escherichia coli taking place after nickel incorporation. FEBS Lett. 2000;473:254-8 pubmedThe steps in the maturation of the precursor of the large subunit (pre-HycE) of hydrogenase 3 from Escherichia coli taking place after incorporation of both iron and nickel were investigated...
- Sauter M, B hm R, B ck A. Mutational analysis of the operon (hyc) determining hydrogenase 3 formation in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1992;6:1523-32 pubmed..based on the results of the mutational analysis, on the determination of the subcellular localization of the FdhF, HycE, HycF and HycG polypeptides and on the similarity of hyc gene product sequences with those from other hydrogenase ..
- Lloyd J, Thomas G, Finlay J, Cole J, Macaskie L. Microbial reduction of technetium by Escherichia coli and Desulfovibrio desulfuricans: enhancement via the use of high-activity strains and effect of process parameters. Biotechnol Bioeng. 1999;66:122-30 pubmed..3 h for the wild-type E. coli, 4.25 h for the upregulated mutant, and 1.5 h for D. desulfuricans. ..
- Magalon A, Bock A. Analysis of the HypC-hycE complex, a key intermediate in the assembly of the metal center of the Escherichia coli hydrogenase 3. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:21114-20 pubmed..formation of a complex between the specific chaperone-type protein HypC and the precursor form of the large subunit HycE in the maturation pathway of hydrogenase 3 from Escherichia coli has been studied by targeted replacement of amino ..
- B hm R, Sauter M, B ck A. Nucleotide sequence and expression of an operon in Escherichia coli coding for formate hydrogenlyase components. Mol Microbiol. 1990;4:231-43 pubmed..The operon described, therefore, appears to comprise genes for redox carriers linking formate oxidation to proton reduction and for a hydrogenase of hitherto unique composition...
- Rossmann R, Maier T, Lottspeich F, Bock A. Characterisation of a protease from Escherichia coli involved in hydrogenase maturation. Eur J Biochem. 1995;227:545-50 pubmed..The protease involved in processing of HycE, the large subunit of hydrogenase 3 from Escherichia coli, was purified by three chromatographic steps to apparent ..
- Theodoratou E, Paschos A, Magalon A, Fritsche E, Huber R, Bock A. Nickel serves as a substrate recognition motif for the endopeptidase involved in hydrogenase maturation. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:1995-9 pubmed..It is concluded that the endopeptidase uses the metal in the large subunit of [NiFe]-hydrogenases as a recognition motif. ..
- Trchunian A, Durgar ian S, Ogandzhanian E, Ter Nikogosian V, Vardanian A. [The capacity of anaerobically grown bacteria to exchange the 2H+ of the cell for the K+ of the medium and to maintain a high K+ distribution between cell and medium]. Nauchnye Doki Vyss Shkoly Biol Nauki. 1986;:82-8 pubmed
- Pinske C, Krüger S, Soboh B, Ihling C, Kuhns M, Braussemann M, et al. Efficient electron transfer from hydrogen to benzyl viologen by the [NiFe]-hydrogenases of Escherichia coli is dependent on the coexpression of the iron-sulfur cluster-containing small subunit. Arch Microbiol. 2011;193:893-903 pubmed publisher..activity of the respective hydrogenase to strain FTD147, which carries in-frame deletions in the hyaB, hybC, and hycE genes encoding the large subunits of Hyd-1, Hyd-2, and Hyd-3, respectively...
- Redwood M, Mikheenko I, Sargent F, Macaskie L. Dissecting the roles of Escherichia coli hydrogenases in biohydrogen production. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2008;278:48-55 pubmed..The effect of a deletion in hycA on H2 production was found to be dependent upon environmental conditions, but H2 uptake was not significantly affected by this mutation. ..
- Binder U, Maier T, Bock A. Nickel incorporation into hydrogenase 3 from Escherichia coli requires the precursor form of the large subunit. Arch Microbiol. 1996;165:69-72 pubmedA mutant derivative of hycE, the gene for the large subunit of hydrogenase 3 from Escherichia coli, was constructed that lacks the 3'-terminal part encoding the C-terminal portion of the HycE polypeptide, which is proteolytically removed ..
- Rossmann R, Sauter M, Lottspeich F, Bock A. Maturation of the large subunit (HYCE) of Escherichia coli hydrogenase 3 requires nickel incorporation followed by C-terminal processing at Arg537. Eur J Biochem. 1994;220:377-84 pubmedPurification of the large subunit, HYCE, of Escherichia coli hydrogenase 3 revealed that it is a nickel-containing polypeptide, which is subject to C-terminal proteolytic processing...
- Sawers G. The hydrogenases and formate dehydrogenases of Escherichia coli. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 1994;66:57-88 pubmed..This article aims to review the current state of knowledge regarding the biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology and physiology of these enzymes. ..
- Chan Chung K, Zamble D. Protein interactions and localization of the Escherichia coli accessory protein HypA during nickel insertion to [NiFe] hydrogenase. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:43081-90 pubmed publisher..been characterized, little is known about how they interact with each other and the hydrogenase 3 large subunit, HycE. In this study the complexes of HypA and HycE were investigated after modification with the Strep-tag II...
- Maier T, Bock A. Generation of active [NiFe] hydrogenase in vitro from a nickel-free precursor form. Biochemistry. 1996;35:10089-93 pubmed..An in vitro system for the maturation of the large subunit (HycE) of hydrogenase 3 of Escherichia coli leading to an active enzyme was established...
- Maeda T, Sanchez Torres V, Wood T. Escherichia coli hydrogenase 3 is a reversible enzyme possessing hydrogen uptake and synthesis activities. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2007;76:1035-42 pubmed..that lacks hydrogen uptake via hydrogenase 1 (hyaB) and via hydrogenase 2 (hybC), inactivation of hydrogenase 3 (hycE) decreased hydrogen uptake...
- Hopper S, Babst M, Schlensog V, Fischer H, Hennecke H, Bock A. Regulated expression in vitro of genes coding for formate hydrogenlyase components of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:19597-604 pubmed..A supramolecular transcription complex is proposed which involves the binding of IHF to a site located between the UAS and the promoter responsible for transcription of the hyc operon. ..