Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hflC
Description: HflB protease modulator specific for phage lambda cII repressor
Alias: ECK4171, JW4133, hflA
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Akiyama Y. Quality control of cytoplasmic membrane proteins in Escherichia coli. J Biochem. 2009;146:449-54 pubmed publisher..Further characterization of them as well as of the stress-sensing mechanisms would prove useful to obtain an integrated picture of the membrane protein quality control system. ..
- Cheng H, Muhlrad P, Hoyt M, Echols H. Cleavage of the cII protein of phage lambda by purified HflA protease: control of the switch between lysis and lysogeny. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:7882-6 pubmed..work has established that cII activity is regulated through the turnover of cII protein; the products of the hflA and hflB loci of Escherichia coli are needed for a degradative reaction, and lambda cIII functions in stabilizing ..
- Rivera Milla E, Stuermer C, Malaga Trillo E. Ancient origin of reggie (flotillin), reggie-like, and other lipid-raft proteins: convergent evolution of the SPFH domain. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2006;63:343-57 pubmed..widespread motif, reggies/flotillins have been included within the SPFH (stomatin-prohibitin-flotillin-HflC/K) protein superfamily...
- Tavernarakis N, Driscoll M, Kyrpides N. The SPFH domain: implicated in regulating targeted protein turnover in stomatins and other membrane-associated proteins. Trends Biochem Sci. 1999;24:425-7 pubmed
- Kihara A, Akiyama Y, Ito K. Host regulation of lysogenic decision in bacteriophage lambda: transmembrane modulation of FtsH (HflB), the cII degrading protease, by HflKC (HflA). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:5544-9 pubmed..both its absence and overproduction stabilized cII in vivo and the proposed serine protease-like sequence motif in HflC was dispensable for the lysogenization control...
- Herman C, Ogura T, Tomoyasu T, Hiraga S, Akiyama Y, Ito K, et al. Cell growth and lambda phage development controlled by the same essential Escherichia coli gene, ftsH/hflB. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:10861-5 pubmed..The lysogenic decision controlled by FtsH/HflB is independent of that controlled by the protease HflA. Overproduction of FtsH/HflB suppresses the high frequency of lysogenization in an hflA null mutant...
- Noble J, Innis M, Koonin E, Rudd K, Banuett F, Herskowitz I. The Escherichia coli hflA locus encodes a putative GTP-binding protein and two membrane proteins, one of which contains a protease-like domain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:10866-70 pubmedThe hflA (high frequency of lysogenization) locus of Escherichia coli governs the lysis-lysogeny decision of bacteriophage lambda by controlling stability of the phage cII protein...
- Cheng H, Echols H. A class of Escherichia coli proteins controlled by the hflA locus. J Mol Biol. 1987;196:737-40 pubmedThe HflA protein of Escherichia coli is critical for the choice of the lytic or lysogenic pathway by bacteriophage lambda. To investigate whether HflA plays a regulatory role in E...
- Bandyopadhyay K, Parua P, Datta A, Parrack P. Escherichia coli HflK and HflC can individually inhibit the HflB (FtsH)-mediated proteolysis of lambdaCII in vitro. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2010;501:239-43 pubmed publisher..The effect of CII is modulated by a number of phage and host proteins including Escherichia coli HflK and HflC. These membrane proteins copurify as a tightly bound complex 'HflKC' that inhibits the HflB (FtsH)-mediated ..
- Browman D, Hoegg M, Robbins S. The SPFH domain-containing proteins: more than lipid raft markers. Trends Cell Biol. 2007;17:394-402 pubmed
- Chiba S, Ito K, Akiyama Y. The Escherichia coli plasma membrane contains two PHB (prohibitin homology) domain protein complexes of opposite orientations. Mol Microbiol. 2006;60:448-57 pubmed..Multicopy suppression was also observed with hflK-hflC, encoding another set of PHB domain membrane proteins, which had been known to form a complex (HflKC) and to ..
- Morrow I, Parton R. Flotillins and the PHB domain protein family: rafts, worms and anaesthetics. Traffic. 2005;6:725-40 pubmed..This review will discuss recent insights into the cell biology of flotillins and the large family of evolutionarily conserved PHB domain proteins. ..
- Saikawa N, Akiyama Y, Ito K. FtsH exists as an exceptionally large complex containing HflKC in the plasma membrane of Escherichia coli. J Struct Biol. 2004;146:123-9 pubmed..Although previous studies suggested that it functions as a homo-oligomer and it also interacts with HflK-HflC membrane protein complex (HflKC), it is still important to address the question of what kind of supramolecular ..
- Kihara A, Akiyama Y, Ito K. Different pathways for protein degradation by the FtsH/HflKC membrane-embedded protease complex: an implication from the interference by a mutant form of a new substrate protein, YccA. J Mol Biol. 1998;279:175-88 pubmed..zinc-metalloproteinase, which forms a complex with a pair of periplasmically exposed membrane proteins, HflK and HflC. It is the protease that degrades uncomplexed forms of the SecY subunit of protein translocase...
- Kihara A, Akiyama Y, Ito K. A protease complex in the Escherichia coli plasma membrane: HflKC (HflA) forms a complex with FtsH (HflB), regulating its proteolytic activity against SecY. EMBO J. 1996;15:6122-31 pubmed..We have now isolated SecY-stabilizing mutations that cause an amino acid substitution in the HflK-HflC membrane protein complex...
- Tsui H, Feng G, Winkler M. Transcription of the mutL repair, miaA tRNA modification, hfq pleiotropic regulator, and hflA region protease genes of Escherichia coli K-12 from clustered Esigma32-specific promoters during heat shock. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:5719-31 pubmed..In these cells, a significant fraction of mutL and hfq-hflA region transcripts were from P(mutL)HS and P1(hfq)HS, respectively, and the amounts of the miaA, hfq, hflX, hflK, ..
- Zorick T, Echols H. Membrane localization of the HflA regulatory protease of Escherichia coli by immunoelectron microscopy. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:6307-10 pubmedThe hflA locus of Escherichia coli specifies a multisubunit protease that selectively degrades the cII transcriptional activator of phage lambda...
- Hoyt M, Knight D, Das A, Miller H, Echols H. Control of phage lambda development by stability and synthesis of cII protein: role of the viral cIII and host hflA, himA and himD genes. Cell. 1982;31:565-73 pubmed..We have found that the stability of cII is controlled by the host hflA and viral cIII genes; hflA protein facilitates degradation of cII, whereas cIII protects cII...
- Banuett F, Hoyt M, McFarlane L, Echols H, Herskowitz I. hflB, a new Escherichia coli locus regulating lysogeny and the level of bacteriophage lambda cII protein. J Mol Biol. 1986;187:213-24 pubmed..A double mutant defective in both hflB and the previously identified hflA gene displays a more severe Hfl- phenotype than either single mutant. The hflB locus is at 69 minutes on the E...
- van Bloois E, Dekker H, Fröderberg L, Houben E, Urbanus M, de Koster C, et al. Detection of cross-links between FtsH, YidC, HflK/C suggests a linked role for these proteins in quality control upon insertion of bacterial inner membrane proteins. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:1419-24 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that FtsH and its modulator proteins HflK and HflC copurify with tagged YidC and, vice versa, that YidC copurifies with tagged FtsH...
- Hinderhofer M, Walker C, Friemel A, Stuermer C, Möller H, Reuter A. Evolution of prokaryotic SPFH proteins. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:10 pubmed publisher..Phylogenetic evidence points towards lateral gene transfer as one source of the very diverse patterns of occurrence in bacterial species. ..
- Schumann W. FtsH--a single-chain charonin?. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 1999;23:1-11 pubmed..In Escherichia coli, FtsH forms a complex with a pair of periplasmically exposed membrane proteins, HflK and HflC. The E...
- Shimohata N, Chiba S, Saikawa N, Ito K, Akiyama Y. The Cpx stress response system of Escherichia coli senses plasma membrane proteins and controls HtpX, a membrane protease with a cytosolic active site. Genes Cells. 2002;7:653-62 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that the Cpx "extracytoplasmic" stress response system controls the quality of the plasma membrane, even on its cytoplasmic side. ..
- Banuett F, Herskowitz I. Identification of polypeptides encoded by an Escherichia coli locus (hflA) that governs the lysis-lysogeny decision of bacteriophage lambda. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:4076-85 pubmed..the proteins encoded by the hflA-containing fragment shows that hflA consists of at least two nonoverlapping genes, hflC and hflK, encoding polypeptides of 37,000 (C) and 46,000 (K) daltons...
- Briere L, Dunn S. The periplasmic domains of Escherichia coli HflKC oligomerize through right-handed coiled-coil interactions. Biochemistry. 2006;45:8607-16 pubmedThe periplasmic domains of the Escherichia coli HflK and HflC were coexpressed and purified. The two polypeptides copurified in a 1:1 ratio, as determined by quantitative amino acid analysis...
- Cronan J, Silbert D, Wulff D. Mapping of the fabA locus for unsaturated fatty acid biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1972;112:206-11 pubmed..5 of the linkage map of E. coli. The locus is cotransduced with pyrD and aroA but not with pyrC, purB, or pdxC. The clockwise order of markers in the region is pdxC, aroA, cmlB, pyrD, fabA, pyrC. ..
- Chuang S, Blattner F. Characterization of twenty-six new heat shock genes of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:5242-52 pubmed..Possible assignments of some of the hsl genes to known proteins are discussed. ..
- Gautsch J, Wulff D. Fine structure mapping, complementation, and physiology of Escherichia coli hfl mutants. Genetics. 1974;77:435-48 pubmed..It is further argued that the function of the lambdacIII gene product is to negate the antagonistic effect of this hfl(+) protein. ..
- Kihara A, Ito K. Translocation, folding, and stability of the HflKC complex with signal anchor topogenic sequences. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:29770-5 pubmed..We characterized several hflA alleles isolated in early studies; they alter the HflK or the HflC sequence and destabilize the HflKC complex.
- Tsui H, Winkler M. Transcriptional patterns of the mutL-miaA superoperon of Escherichia coli K-12 suggest a model for posttranscriptional regulation. Biochimie. 1994;76:1168-77 pubmedThe complex amiB-mutL-miaA-hfq-hflX-hflK-hflC superoperon of E coli contains important genes for several fundamental cellular processes, including cell-wall hydrolysis (amiB), DNA repair (mutL), tRNA modification (miaA) and proteolysis (..
- Tsui H, Leung H, Winkler M. Characterization of broadly pleiotropic phenotypes caused by an hfq insertion mutation in Escherichia coli K-12. Mol Microbiol. 1994;13:35-49 pubmedThe region immediately downstream from the miaA tRNA modification gene at 94.8 min contains the hfq gene and the hflA region, which are important in the bacteriophage Q beta and lambda life cycles...
- Bandyopadhyay K, Parua P, Datta A, Parrack P. Studies on Escherichia coli HflKC suggest the presence of an unidentified ? factor that influences the lysis-lysogeny switch. BMC Microbiol. 2011;11:34 pubmed publisher..We propose that a yet unidentified CII-stabilizing factor in ? may influence the lysis-lysogeny decision in ?hflKC cells. ..
- Green J, Fricke B, Chetty M, von Düring M, Preston G, Stewart G. Eukaryotic and prokaryotic stomatins: the proteolytic link. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2004;32:411-22 pubmed..The corollary is that stomatin could be a partner protein for a membrane-bound proteolytic process, in both prokaryotes and in eukaryotes generally: this idea is consistent with experimental evidence. ..
- Belfort M, Wulff D. Genetic and biochemical investigation of the Escherichia coli mutant hfl-1 which is lysogenized at high frequency by bacteriophage lambda. J Bacteriol. 1973;115:299-306 pubmed..It is not known whether this change in cell surface is the primary lesion, or a pleiotropic effect of some more basic metabolic shift. ..
- Belfort M, Wulff D. An analysis of the processes of infection and induction of E. coli mutant hfl-1 by bacteriophage lambda. Virology. 1973;55:183-92 pubmed
- Young R, Davis R. Efficient isolation of genes by using antibody probes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1983;80:1194-8 pubmed..clones in lambda gt11 recombinant cDNA libraries is achieved through lysogeny of the phage library in hflA (high-frequency lysogeny) mutant cells of Escherichia coli; lysogens produce detectable quantities of antigen on ..
- Kitagawa R, Mitsuki H, Okazaki T, Ogawa T. A novel DnaA protein-binding site at 94.7 min on the Escherichia coli chromosome. Mol Microbiol. 1996;19:1137-47 pubmed..A role for the DnaA-binding site in controlling DnaA-protein concentration in the cell cycle is discussed. ..