Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: grxC
Description: glutaredoxin 3
Alias: ECK3600, JW3585, yibM
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Meyer Y, Buchanan B, Vignols F, Reichheld J. Thioredoxins and glutaredoxins: unifying elements in redox biology. Annu Rev Genet. 2009;43:335-67 pubmed publisher..The new information will be important not only to our understanding of the role of Trx and Grx in fundamental cell processes but also to future societal benefits as the proteins find new applications in a range of fields. ..
- Elgán T, Planson A, Beckwith J, Güntert P, Berndt K. Determinants of activity in glutaredoxins: an in vitro evolved Grx1-like variant of Escherichia coli Grx3. Biochem J. 2010;430:487-95 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the Grx1-like activity of the Grx3(M43V/C65Y) mutant may be explained by enhanced intrinsic motion allowing for increased specificity towards larger substrates such as RR. ..
- Nordstrand K, slund F, Holmgren A, Otting G, Berndt K. NMR structure of Escherichia coli glutaredoxin 3-glutathione mixed disulfide complex: implications for the enzymatic mechanism. J Mol Biol. 1999;286:541-52 pubmed..A comparison of glutathione binding in Grx3-SG and ligand binding in other members of the thioredoxin superfamily is presented, which illustrates the highly conserved intermolecular interactions in this protein family. ..
- Achebach S, Tran Q, Vlamis Gardikas A, Müllner M, Holmgren A, Unden G. Stimulation of Fe-S cluster insertion into apoFNR by Escherichia coli glutaredoxins 1, 2 and 3 in vitro. FEBS Lett. 2004;565:203-6 pubmed..Thioredoxin (Trx) 1 showed no stimulation of FNR reconstitution in vitro. It is suggested that the function of Grx might be of significance for the insertion of FeS cluster in proteins containing disulfides. ..
- Toledano M, Kumar C, Le Moan N, Spector D, Tacnet F. The system biology of thiol redox system in Escherichia coli and yeast: differential functions in oxidative stress, iron metabolism and DNA synthesis. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:3598-607 pubmed..We show that although prokaryotic and eukaryotic systems have a similar architecture, they profoundly differ in their overall cellular functions. ..