Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: grxB
Description: glutaredoxin 2 (Grx2)
Alias: ECK1049, JW1051
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Shi J, Vlamis Gardikas A, Aslund F, Holmgren A, Rosen B. Reactivity of glutaredoxins 1, 2, and 3 from Escherichia coli shows that glutaredoxin 2 is the primary hydrogen donor to ArsC-catalyzed arsenate reduction. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:36039-42 pubmed..This suggests that, during the catalytic cycle, ArsC forms a mixed disulfide with GSH before being reduced by glutaredoxin to regenerate the active ArsC reductase. ..
- Potamitou A, Holmgren A, Vlamis Gardikas A. Protein levels of Escherichia coli thioredoxins and glutaredoxins and their relation to null mutants, growth phase, and function. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:18561-7 pubmed..The levels of Grx2 and Grx3 behaved exactly the opposite, suggesting that the transcription factor OxyR does not regulate their expression. ..
- Potamitou A, Neubauer P, Holmgren A, Vlamis Gardikas A. Expression of Escherichia coli glutaredoxin 2 is mainly regulated by ppGpp and sigmaS. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:17775-80 pubmedEscherichia coli glutaredoxin 2 (Grx2, encoded by grxB) differs greatly from the other two glutaredoxins in structure and catalytic properties...
- Meyer Y, Buchanan B, Vignols F, Reichheld J. Thioredoxins and glutaredoxins: unifying elements in redox biology. Annu Rev Genet. 2009;43:335-67 pubmed publisher..The new information will be important not only to our understanding of the role of Trx and Grx in fundamental cell processes but also to future societal benefits as the proteins find new applications in a range of fields. ..
- Gildenhuys S, Wallace L, Dirr H. Stability and unfolding of reduced Escherichia coli glutaredoxin 2: a monomeric structural homologue of the glutathione transferase family. Biochemistry. 2008;47:10801-8 pubmed publisher..The kinetics data are, therefore, consistent with the existence of cooperativity between the domains, in agreement with the equilibrium data. ..