Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: glpR
Description: DNA-binding transcriptional repressor
Alias: ECK3409, JW3386
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Larson T, Ye S, Weissenborn D, Hoffmann H, Schweizer H. Purification and characterization of the repressor for the sn-glycerol 3-phosphate regulon of Escherichia coli K12. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:15869-74 pubmedThe glpR gene encoding the repressor for the sn-glycerol 3-phosphate regulon of Escherichia coli was cloned downstream from the strong pL promoter of bacteriophage lambda...
- Schwartz M. Location of the maltose A and B loci on the genetic map of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1966;92:1083-9 pubmed..A new biotin marker was also shown to be located in this region. The position of malB was studied in relation to the loci for arginine F, methionine A, ultraviolet radiation A, and the origin of transfer of Hfr P10. ..
- Choi Y, Kawase S, Nishida T, Sakai H, Komano T, Kawamukai M, et al. Nucleotide sequence of the glpR gene encoding the repressor for the glycerol-3-phosphate regulon of Escherichia coli K12. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16:7732 pubmed
- Holtman C, Pawlyk A, Meadow N, Pettigrew D. Reverse genetics of Escherichia coli glycerol kinase allosteric regulation and glucose control of glycerol utilization in vivo. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:3336-44 pubmed..Strains with different glpR alleles are used to assess the relationships between allosteric regulation of glycerol kinase and specific ..
- Freedberg W, Lin E. Three kinds of controls affecting the expression of the glp regulon in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1973;115:816-23 pubmed..and sn-glycerol 3-phosphate (G3P) catabolism in Escherichia coli K-12: specific repression by the product of the glpR gene; catabolite repression; and respiratory repression (the effect exerted by exogenous hydrogen acceptors)...
- Freedberg W, Kistler W, Lin E. Lethal synthesis of methylglyoxal by Escherichia coli during unregulated glycerol metabolism. J Bacteriol. 1971;108:137-44 pubmed..Methylglyoxal-resistant mutants derived from the glycerol-sensitive parental strain also became immune to glycerol. ..
- Truniger V, Boos W, Sweet G. Molecular analysis of the glpFKX regions of Escherichia coli and Shigella flexneri. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:6981-91 pubmed..The transcription of glpX is inducible with glycerol and sn-glycerol-3-phosphate and is constitutive in a glpR mutant. glpX is the third gene in the glpFKX operon. The function of GlpX remains unknown...
- Larson T, Cantwell J, van Loo Bhattacharya A. Interaction at a distance between multiple operators controls the adjacent, divergently transcribed glpTQ-glpACB operons of Escherichia coli K-12. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:6114-21 pubmed..A 6-bp insertion located within OA2 or between OT and OA1 eliminated repression of the glpTQ promoter, whereas significant repression was maintained in the case of a 10-bp insertion within OA2. ..
- Iuchi S, Cole S, Lin E. Multiple regulatory elements for the glpA operon encoding anaerobic glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase and the glpD operon encoding aerobic glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase in Escherichia coli: further characterization of respiratory control. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:179-84 pubmed..In glpR mutant cells grown under conditions of low catabolite repression, the glpA operon is best expressed anaerobically ..
- Weissenborn D, Wittekindt N, Larson T. Structure and regulation of the glpFK operon encoding glycerol diffusion facilitator and glycerol kinase of Escherichia coli K-12. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:6122-31 pubmed..In this case, the relative sensitivity of the glp operons to catabolite repression was glpTQ greater than glpFK greater than glpACB greater than glpD. ..
- Lemieux M, Huang Y, Wang D. Glycerol-3-phosphate transporter of Escherichia coli: structure, function and regulation. Res Microbiol. 2004;155:623-9 pubmed..Furthermore, GlpT may serve as a structural and mechanistic paradigm for other secondary active membrane transporters. ..
- Schweizer H, Boos W, Larson T. Repressor for the sn-glycerol-3-phosphate regulon of Escherichia coli K-12: cloning of the glpR gene and identification of its product. J Bacteriol. 1985;161:563-6 pubmedThe glpR gene encoding the repressor for the glp regulon of Escherichia coli was cloned from a library of HindIII DNA fragments established in bacteriophage lambda...
- Raghunathan A, Palsson B. Scalable method to determine mutations that occur during adaptive evolution of Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Lett. 2003;25:435-41 pubmed..The mutations detected by direct sequencing of amplicons of the glycerol-phosphate regulon repressor (glpR) gene were a synonymous substitution Val20Val in two separately evolved strains...
- Zhang Z, Saier M. A mechanism of transposon-mediated directed mutation. Mol Microbiol. 2009;74:29-43 pubmed publisher..to glycerol utilization (Glp(+)) at rates that are enhanced by glycerol or the loss of the glycerol repressor (GlpR), depressed by glucose or glpR overexpression, and RecA-independent...
- Ono M, Kawakami M. Separation of newly-synthesized RNA by organomercurial agarose affinity chromatography. J Biochem. 1977;81:1247-52 pubmed..The molecular size distributions of both total RNA and the adsorbed fraction, synthesized during 30 min in the presence of 2-thiouridine, were similar to that of RNA synthesized in the absence of the drug. ..
- Yang B, Larson T. Multiple promoters are responsible for transcription of the glpEGR operon of Escherichia coli K-12. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1396:114-26 pubmed..located upstream of the glpE start codon, three internal glpGR promoters were identified that express glpG and/or glpR (glp repressor)...
- Zeng G, Ye S, Larson T. Repressor for the sn-glycerol 3-phosphate regulon of Escherichia coli K-12: primary structure and identification of the DNA-binding domain. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:7080-9 pubmed..The functions of GlpE and GlpG are unknown. The glpR gene encodes the repressor for the glycerol 3-phosphate regulon, a protein predicted to contain 252 amino acids ..
- Zhao N, Oh W, Trybul D, Thrasher K, Kingsbury T, Larson T. Characterization of the interaction of the glp repressor of Escherichia coli K-12 with single and tandem glp operator variants. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:2393-7 pubmed..Cooperativity decreased with the deletion of 2 bp or the addition of 4 bp between the individual operators. Cooperativity was eliminated with a 6-bp insertion between the operators. ..