Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: gloA
Description: glyoxalase I, Ni-dependent
Alias: ECK1647, JW1643
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Okado Matsumoto A, Fridovich I. The role of alpha,beta -dicarbonyl compounds in the toxicity of short chain sugars. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:34853-7 pubmed..Moreover, the defensive glyoxalase III is also inactivated by the oxidative stress imposed by the lack of SOD, thereby exacerbating the deleterious effect of sugar oxidation. ..
- Booth I, Ferguson G, Miller S, Li C, Gunasekera B, Kinghorn S. Bacterial production of methylglyoxal: a survival strategy or death by misadventure?. Biochem Soc Trans. 2003;31:1406-8 pubmed..Excessive production of MG is an adaptive ploy, which, if it fails, has fatal consequences. On this basis one might define MG-induced loss of life as "death by misadventure" rather than suicide! ..
- Davidson G, Clugston S, Honek J, Maroney M. XAS investigation of the nickel active site structure in Escherichia coli glyoxalase I. Inorg Chem. 2000;39:2962-3 pubmed
- Vander Jagt D. Growth inhibitory properties of aromatic alpha-ketoaldehydes toward bacteria and yeast. Comparison of inhibition and glyoxalase I activity. J Med Chem. 1975;18:1155-8 pubmed..coli and yeast, similar to the other alpha-ketoaldehydes. Enzymes other than glyoxalase I must play a major role in the metabolism of these alpha-ketoaldehydes during the period of growth inhibition. ..
- Davidson G, Clugston S, Honek J, Maroney M. An XAS investigation of product and inhibitor complexes of Ni-containing GlxI from Escherichia coli: mechanistic implications. Biochemistry. 2001;40:4569-82 pubmed..This leads to an anionic complex, which is consistent with an observed 1.7 eV decrease in the Ni K-edge energy. Plausible reaction mechanisms for Ni-GlxI are discussed in light of the structural information available. ..
- Clugston S, Daub E, Kinach R, Miedema D, Barnard J, Honek J. Isolation and sequencing of a gene coding for glyoxalase I activity from Salmonella typhimurium and comparison with other glyoxalase I sequences. Gene. 1997;186:103-11 pubmedThe glyoxalase I gene (gloA) from Salmonella typhimurium has been isolated in Escherichia coli on a multi-copy pBR322-derived plasmid, selecting for resistance to 3 mM methylglyoxal on Luria-Bertani agar...
- Cooper R. Metabolism of methylglyoxal in microorganisms. Annu Rev Microbiol. 1984;38:49-68 pubmed
- Clugston S, Barnard J, Kinach R, Miedema D, Ruman R, Daub E, et al. Overproduction and characterization of a dimeric non-zinc glyoxalase I from Escherichia coli: evidence for optimal activation by nickel ions. Biochemistry. 1998;37:8754-63 pubmed..To study the Escherichia coli GlxI enzyme, the DNA encoding this protein, gloA, was isolated and incorporated into the plasmid pTTQ18...
- Kim I, Kim J, Min B, Lee C, Park C. Screening of genes related to methylglyoxal susceptibility. J Microbiol. 2007;45:339-43 pubmed..In addition to its MG sensitivity, the insertion in yqiI exhibited an impaired motility resulting from a reduced flagellar expression. ..
- Murata K, Tani K, Kato J, Chibata I. Excretion of glutathione by methylglyoxal-resistant Escherichia coli. J Gen Microbiol. 1980;120:545-7 pubmed..Methylglyoxal resistance appeared to be due to the simultaneous increase in the activities of these two enzyme systems. ..
- Su Z, Sukdeo N, Honek J. 15N-1H HSQC NMR evidence for distinct specificity of two active sites in Escherichia coli glyoxalase I. Biochemistry. 2008;47:13232-41 pubmed publisher..The current results enhance our understanding of GlxI structure-function relationships and provide a potential new strategy for the development of small molecule inhibitors for this enzyme system. ..
- Clugston S, Honek J. Identification of sequences encoding the detoxification metalloisomerase glyoxalase I in microbial genomes from several pathogenic organisms. J Mol Evol. 2000;50:491-5 pubmed..Removal of these regions may alter the active-site conformation of the bacterial enzymes in relation to that of the H. sapiens. These differences may be targeted for the development of inhibitors selective to the bacterial enzymes. ..
- Thornalley P. Glyoxalase I--structure, function and a critical role in the enzymatic defence against glycation. Biochem Soc Trans. 2003;31:1343-8 pubmed..Glyoxalase I has a critical role in the prevention of glycation reactions mediated by methylglyoxal, glyoxal and other alpha-oxoaldehydes in vivo. ..
- Thornalley P. The glyoxalase system: new developments towards functional characterization of a metabolic pathway fundamental to biological life. Biochem J. 1990;269:1-11 pubmed