Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: glk
Alias: ECK2384, JW2385
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Fraenkel D, Falcoz Kelly F, Horecker B. THE UTILIZATION OF GLUCOSE 6-PHOSPHATE BY GLUCOKINASELESS AND WILD-TYPE STRAINS OF ESCHERICHIA COLI. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1964;52:1207-13 pubmed
- Lengsfeld C, Schönert S, Dippel R, Boos W. Glucose- and glucokinase-controlled mal gene expression in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:701-12 pubmed publisher..We report here a novel aspect of mal gene regulation: the effect of cytoplasmic glucose and glucokinase (Glk) on the activity and the expression of MalT. Amylomaltase (MalQ) is essential for the metabolism of maltose...
- Ogawa T, Mori H, Tomita M, Yoshino M. Inhibitory effect of phosphoenolpyruvate on glycolytic enzymes in Escherichia coli. Res Microbiol. 2007;158:159-63 pubmed..PEP, a potent inhibitor of E. coli glucokinase, unlike most eukaryotic hexokinases, can act as a signal molecule controlling glucose uptake and glycolytic flux in cells. ..
- Lunin V, Li Y, Schrag J, Iannuzzi P, Cygler M, Matte A. Crystal structures of Escherichia coli ATP-dependent glucokinase and its complex with glucose. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:6915-27 pubmed..200/0.271 and to 2.2-A resolution (glucose complex) with final Rwork/Rfree factors of 0.193/0.265. E. coli GlK is a homodimer of 321 amino acid residues...
- Miller B, Raines R. Identifying latent enzyme activities: substrate ambiguity within modern bacterial sugar kinases. Biochemistry. 2004;43:6387-92 pubmed..Our findings suggest that modern genomes harbor a wealth of latent enzyme activities and that extant metabolic pathways are equivocal, in contrast to their usual depiction. ..
- Arora K, Pedersen P. Glucokinase of Escherichia coli: induction in response to the stress of overexpressing foreign proteins. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1995;319:574-8 pubmed..coli proteins, function in the stabilization of newly synthesized proteins. ..
- Brun Y, Breton R, Lanouette P, Lapointe J. Precise mapping and comparison of two evolutionarily related regions of the Escherichia coli K-12 chromosome. Evolution of valU and lysT from an ancestral tRNA operon. J Mol Biol. 1990;214:825-43 pubmed..in the 52 minute region has permitted precise mapping of most of the 18 genes in this region with the order nupC-glk- less than (alaW beta-ala W alpha)-1 kb- less than gltX-0...
- Ishii N, Suga Y, Hagiya A, Watanabe H, Mori H, Yoshino M, et al. Dynamic simulation of an in vitro multi-enzyme system. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:413-20 pubmed..coli glycolytic enzymes. Thus, the results indicate that kinetic parameters can be determined without using an undesirable tuning process. ..
- Kawai S, Mukai T, Mori S, Mikami B, Murata K. Hypothesis: structures, evolution, and ancestor of glucose kinases in the hexokinase family. J Biosci Bioeng. 2005;99:320-30 pubmed
- Wang Q, Wu C, Chen T, Chen X, Zhao X. Expression of galactose permease and pyruvate carboxylase in Escherichia coli ptsG mutant increases the growth rate and succinate yield under anaerobic conditions. Biotechnol Lett. 2006;28:89-93 pubmed..The ptsG mutant (TUQ2), from wild type E. coli W1485, and E. coli galP (encoding galactose permease) and glk (encoding glucose kinase) gene expression plasmids were constructed...
- Siddiquee K, Arauzo Bravo M, Shimizu K. Effect of a pyruvate kinase (pykF-gene) knockout mutation on the control of gene expression and metabolic fluxes in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2004;235:25-33 pubmed..RT-PCR revealed that the glycolytic genes such as glk, pgi, pfkA and tpiA were down regulated, that ppc, pckA, maeB and mdh genes were strongly up-regulated, and that ..
- Meyer D, Schneider Fresenius C, Horlacher R, Peist R, Boos W. Molecular characterization of glucokinase from Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:1298-306 pubmedb>glk, the structural gene for glucokinase of Escherichia coli, was cloned and sequenced. Overexpression of glk resulted in the synthesis of a cytoplasmic protein with a molecular weight of 35,000...