Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ftsE
Description: cell division ATP-binding protein
Alias: ECK3447, JW3428
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Samaluru H, SaiSree L, Reddy M. Role of SufI (FtsP) in cell division of Escherichia coli: evidence for its involvement in stabilizing the assembly of the divisome. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:8044-52 pubmed..Since sufI fulfils the requirements to be designated an fts gene, we propose that it be renamed ftsP. ..
- Fujiwara K, Taguchi H. Filamentous morphology in GroE-depleted Escherichia coli induced by impaired folding of FtsE. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:5860-6 pubmed..Among the candidate substrates, we found that prior excess production of FtsE, a protein engaged in cell division, completely suppressed the filamentation of GroE-depleted E. coli...
- Corbin B, Wang Y, Beuria T, Margolin W. Interaction between cell division proteins FtsE and FtsZ. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:3026-35 pubmedb>FtsE and FtsX, which are widely conserved homologs of ABC transporters and interact with each other, have important but unknown functions in bacterial cell division...
- Schmidt K, Peterson N, Kustusch R, Wissel M, Graham B, Phillips G, et al. A predicted ABC transporter, FtsEX, is needed for cell division in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:785-93 pubmedb>FtsE and FtsX have homology to the ABC transporter superfamily of proteins and appear to be widely conserved among bacteria...
- Ricard M, Hirota Y. Process of cellular division in Escherichia coli: physiological study on thermosensitive mutants defective in cell division. J Bacteriol. 1973;116:314-22 pubmed..The existence of three types of mutants was shown. The ftsA and ftsE mutants resumed cell division without new protein synthesis; ftsD mutants resumed cell division only if new protein ..
- Crickmore N, Salmond G. The Escherichia coli heat shock regulatory gene is immediately downstream of a cell division operon: the fam mutation is allelic with rpoH. Mol Gen Genet. 1986;205:535-9 pubmed..We also show that the fam-715 mutation is allelic with rpoH and so the conditional lipoprotein deficiency of the fam mutation must be due to the pleiotropic nature of the heat shock response. ..
- Gill D, Salmond G. The identification of the Escherichia coli ftsY gene product: an unusual protein. Mol Microbiol. 1990;4:575-83 pubmedThe ftsYEX operon in Escherichia coli encodes three proteins, two of which (FtsE and FtsX) are known to be required for cell division. Although FtsE and FtsX have been identified using SDS-PAGE, the FtsY protein has not...
- Ukai H, Matsuzawa H, Ito K, Yamada M, Nishimura A. ftsE(Ts) affects translocation of K+-pump proteins into the cytoplasmic membrane of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:3663-70 pubmedThe ftsE(Ts) mutation of Escherichia coli causes defects in cell division and cell growth...
- Reddy M. Role of FtsEX in cell division of Escherichia coli: viability of ftsEX mutants is dependent on functional SufI or high osmotic strength. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:98-108 pubmedIn Escherichia coli, at least 12 proteins, FtsZ, ZipA, FtsA, FtsE/X, FtsK, FtsQ, FtsL, FtsB, FtsW, FtsI, FtsN, and AmiC, are known to localize to the septal ring in an interdependent and sequential pathway to coordinate the septum ..
- Salmond G, Plakidou S. Genetic analysis of essential genes in the ftsE region of the Escherichia coli genetic map and identification of a new cell division gene, ftsS. Mol Gen Genet. 1984;197:304-8 pubmed..Three temperature-sensitive ftsE mutants were found as was a cold-sensitive ftsE mutant...
- Gill D, Hatfull G, Salmond G. A new cell division operon in Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1986;205:134-45 pubmed..This common domain is indicative of a nucleotide-binding site. ..
- Goehring N, Gonzalez M, Beckwith J. Premature targeting of cell division proteins to midcell reveals hierarchies of protein interactions involved in divisome assembly. Mol Microbiol. 2006;61:33-45 pubmed..Based on these observations we present a revised model for assembly of the E. coli division apparatus. ..