Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ftsB
Description: cell division protein
Alias: ECK2743, JW2718, ygbQ
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Karimova G, Dautin N, Ladant D. Interaction network among Escherichia coli membrane proteins involved in cell division as revealed by bacterial two-hybrid analysis. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:2233-43 pubmed..In addition, our study shows that the cAMP-based two-hybrid system is particularly appropriate for analyzing molecular interactions between membrane proteins. ..
- Buddelmeijer N, Beckwith J. A complex of the Escherichia coli cell division proteins FtsL, FtsB and FtsQ forms independently of its localization to the septal region. Mol Microbiol. 2004;52:1315-27 pubmedThree membrane proteins required for cell division in Escherichia coli, FtsQ, FtsL and FtsB, localize to the cell septum...
- Geissler B, Margolin W. Evidence for functional overlap among multiple bacterial cell division proteins: compensating for the loss of FtsK. Mol Microbiol. 2005;58:596-612 pubmed..Cells expressing additional ftsQ, and to a lesser extent ftsB and ftsN, were able to survive and divide in the absence of ftsK, although cell chains were often formed...
- Weiss D. Bacterial cell division and the septal ring. Mol Microbiol. 2004;54:588-97 pubmed..Finally, two murein hydrolases, AmiC and EnvC, have been shown to localize to the septal ring of Escherichia coli, where they play an important role in separation of daughter cells. ..
- Villanelo F, Ordenes A, BRUNET J, Lagos R, Monasterio O. A model for the Escherichia coli FtsB/FtsL/FtsQ cell division complex. BMC Struct Biol. 2011;11:28 pubmed publisher..The proteins involved in connecting both steps in cell division are FtsQ, FtsB and FtsL, and their interaction is a crucial and conserved event in the division of different bacteria...
- Robichon C, Karimova G, Beckwith J, Ladant D. Role of leucine zipper motifs in association of the Escherichia coli cell division proteins FtsL and FtsB. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:4988-92 pubmed publisherFtsL and FtsB are two inner-membrane proteins that are essential constituents of the cell division apparatus of Escherichia coli...
- Vicente M, Rico A. The order of the ring: assembly of Escherichia coli cell division components. Mol Microbiol. 2006;61:5-8 pubmed..In addition, back-recruitment of all late proteins except FtsN into the division ring occurs even in the absence of proteins incorporated at earlier stages, i.e. FtsA or FtsQ. ..
- Aarsman M, Piette A, Fraipont C, Vinkenvleugel T, Nguyen Distèche M, Den Blaauwen T. Maturation of the Escherichia coli divisome occurs in two steps. Mol Microbiol. 2005;55:1631-45 pubmed
- Maggi S, Massidda O, Luzi G, Fadda D, Paolozzi L, Ghelardini P. Division protein interaction web: identification of a phylogenetically conserved common interactome between Streptococcus pneumoniae and Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 2008;154:3042-52 pubmed publisher..At least nine division proteins, ZapA, FtsZ, FtsA, FtsK, FtsQ/DivIB, FtsB/DivIC, FtsL, FtsI and FtsW, are believed to have a conserved function between these bacteria and thus we may say ..
- Ricard M, Hirota Y. Process of cellular division in Escherichia coli: physiological study on thermosensitive mutants defective in cell division. J Bacteriol. 1973;116:314-22 pubmed..without new protein synthesis; ftsD mutants resumed cell division only if new protein synthesis occured, while ftsB, C, F and G mutants did not resume cell division at all...
- Lapointe L, Taylor K, Subramaniam S, Khadria A, Rayment I, Senes A. Structural organization of FtsB, a transmembrane protein of the bacterial divisome. Biochemistry. 2013;52:2574-85 pubmed publisherWe report the first structural analysis of an integral membrane protein of the bacterial divisome. FtsB is a single-pass membrane protein with a periplasmic coiled coil...
- Tsang M, Bernhardt T. A role for the FtsQLB complex in cytokinetic ring activation revealed by an ftsL allele that accelerates division. Mol Microbiol. 2015;95:925-44 pubmed publisher..Our results support a model in which FtsL, along with its partners FtsB and FtsQ, function as part of a sensing mechanism that promotes the onset of cell wall remodeling processes needed ..