Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fliE
Description: flagellar basal-body component
Alias: ECK1935, JW1921, flaAI, flaN
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Braun T, Al Mawsawi L, Kojima S, Blair D. Arrangement of core membrane segments in the MotA/MotB proton-channel complex of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2004;43:35-45 pubmed
- Zhou J, Blair D. Residues of the cytoplasmic domain of MotA essential for torque generation in the bacterial flagellar motor. J Mol Biol. 1997;273:428-39 pubmed..Possible roles for these residues in torque generation are discussed. ..
- Zhou J, Lloyd S, Blair D. Electrostatic interactions between rotor and stator in the bacterial flagellar motor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:6436-41 pubmed..These results identify a functionally important site of interaction between the rotor and stator and suggest a hypothesis for electrostatic interactions at the rotor-stator interface. ..
- Kim E, Price Carter M, Carlquist W, Blair D. Membrane segment organization in the stator complex of the flagellar motor: implications for proton flow and proton-induced conformational change. Biochemistry. 2008;47:11332-9 pubmed publisher..The model indicates a close proximity for certain conserved, functionally important residues. The results are used to develop an explicit model for the proton-induced conformational change in the stator. ..
- Saijo Hamano Y, Uchida N, Namba K, Oosawa K. In vitro characterization of FlgB, FlgC, FlgF, FlgG, and FliE, flagellar basal body proteins of Salmonella. J Mol Biol. 2004;339:423-35 pubmed..we have established purification procedures for Salmonella rod proteins, FlgB, FlgC, FlgF, FlgG, and also for FliE, a rod adapter protein, from an Escherichia coli expression system...
- Grünenfelder B, Gehrig S, Jenal U. Role of the cytoplasmic C terminus of the FliF motor protein in flagellar assembly and rotation. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:1624-33 pubmed..These results provide genetic support for a model in which only a short stretch of amino acids at the immediate C terminus of FliF is required for flagellar assembly through stable interaction with the FliG switch protein. ..
- Katayama E, Shiraishi T, Oosawa K, Baba N, Aizawa S. Geometry of the flagellar motor in the cytoplasmic membrane of Salmonella typhimurium as determined by stereo-photogrammetry of quick-freeze deep-etch replica images. J Mol Biol. 1996;255:458-75 pubmed..Various dimensions of the MS ring complex and the C ring projecting from the membrane were determined by digital stereo-photogrammetry, and a three-dimensional model of the total basal structure is presented. ..
- Zhou J, Fazzio R, Blair D. Membrane topology of the MotA protein of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1995;251:237-42 pubmed..These experiments establish that the main features of the suggested model for MotA topology are correct, furnishing a basis for more detailed structure-function studies of the MotA/MotB proton channel...
- Leake M, Chandler J, Wadhams G, Bai F, Berry R, Armitage J. Stoichiometry and turnover in single, functioning membrane protein complexes. Nature. 2006;443:355-8 pubmed..04 s(-1): the dwell time of a given stator in the motor is only approximately 0.5 min. This is the first direct measurement of the number and rapid turnover of protein subunits within a functioning molecular machine. ..
- Garza A, Harris Haller L, Stoebner R, Manson M. Motility protein interactions in the bacterial flagellar motor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:1970-4 pubmed..This finding suggests that the postulated Mot-protein complex may be in close proximity to FliG at the stator-rotor interface of the flagellar motor. ..
- Suzuki H, Yonekura K, Murata K, Hirai T, Oosawa K, Namba K. A structural feature in the central channel of the bacterial flagellar FliF ring complex is implicated in type III protein export. J Struct Biol. 1998;124:104-14 pubmed..This suggests that a domain of FliF partially occupies the central channel to be involved in the export and gate mechanism, and the domain changes its conformation depending on the ionic strength. ..
- Yakushi T, Yang J, Fukuoka H, Homma M, Blair D. Roles of charged residues of rotor and stator in flagellar rotation: comparative study using H+-driven and Na+-driven motors in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:1466-72 pubmed..coli motor using both rotor and stator components from V. alginolyticus remained sensitive to mutation. Motor function in V. alginolyticus may be enhanced by the proteins MotX and MotY. ..
- Reid S, Leake M, Chandler J, Lo C, Armitage J, Berry R. The maximum number of torque-generating units in the flagellar motor of Escherichia coli is at least 11. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:8066-71 pubmed..Speed increments at high numbers of units are smaller than those at low numbers, indicating that not all units in a fully induced motor are equivalent. ..
- Kutsukake K, Minamino T, Yokoseki T. Isolation and characterization of FliK-independent flagellation mutants from Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:7625-9 pubmed..On the basis of these results, we discuss the mechanism of suppression of the fliK defects by the flhB mutations and propose a hypothesis on the export switching machinery of the flagellar proteins. ..
- Samatey F, Imada K, Nagashima S, Vonderviszt F, Kumasaka T, Yamamoto M, et al. Structure of the bacterial flagellar protofilament and implications for a switch for supercoiling. Nature. 2001;410:331-7 pubmed..By simulated extension of the protofilament model, we have identified possible switch regions responsible for the bi-stable mechanical switch that generates the 0.8 A difference in repeat distance. ..
- Maki Yonekura S, Yonekura K, Namba K. Domain movements of HAP2 in the cap-filament complex formation and growth process of the bacterial flagellum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:15528-33 pubmed
- Sosinsky G, Francis N, DeRosier D, Wall J, Simon M, Hainfeld J. Mass determination and estimation of subunit stoichiometry of the bacterial hook-basal body flagellar complex of Salmonella typhimurium by scanning transmission electron microscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:4801-5 pubmed..amp; Aizawa, S.-I. (1990) J. Mol. Biol. 212, 377-387] using quantitative gel electrophoresis. The results of Jones et al., together with ours, account for all proteins in the basal body to within approximately 5% (or 200 kDa). ..
- Maki S, Vonderviszt F, Furukawa Y, Imada K, Namba K. Plugging interactions of HAP2 pentamer into the distal end of flagellar filament revealed by electron microscopy. J Mol Biol. 1998;277:771-7 pubmed..This also allows us to model the axial domain arrangement of flagellin subunit in the filament. ..
- Hasegawa K, Yamashita I, Namba K. Quasi- and nonequivalence in the structure of bacterial flagellar filament. Biophys J. 1998;74:569-75 pubmed
- Tang H, Braun T, Blair D. Motility protein complexes in the bacterial flagellar motor. J Mol Biol. 1996;261:209-21 pubmed..Torque generation in the flagellar motor is thus likely to involve interactions between these two protein complexes. ..
- Kojima S, Blair D. Solubilization and purification of the MotA/MotB complex of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2004;43:26-34 pubmed..35)S-radiolabeling showed that MotA and MotB are present in a 2:1 ratio in the complex. Purified MotA/MotB complexes should enable in vitro study of the proton-induced conformational change and other aspects of stator function. ..
- Suzuki H, Yonekura K, Namba K. Structure of the rotor of the bacterial flagellar motor revealed by electron cryomicroscopy and single-particle image analysis. J Mol Biol. 2004;337:105-13 pubmed
- Raha M, Kihara M, Kawagishi I, Macnab R. Organization of the Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium chromosomes between flagellar regions IIIa and IIIb, including a large non-coding region. J Gen Microbiol. 1993;139:1401-7 pubmed..The data, which are discussed in the context of a hypothesized disruption of a contiguous ancestral flagellar region, may give new insight into the organization and evolution of the bacterial chromosome. ..
- Zhou J, Sharp L, Tang H, Lloyd S, Billings S, Braun T, et al. Function of protonatable residues in the flagellar motor of Escherichia coli: a critical role for Asp 32 of MotB. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:2729-35 pubmed..We propose that Asp 32 of MotB functions as a proton-binding site in the bacterial flagellar motor and that no other conserved, protonatable residues function in this capacity. ..
- Yamaguchi S, Aizawa S, Kihara M, Isomura M, Jones C, Macnab R. Genetic evidence for a switching and energy-transducing complex in the flagellar motor of Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1986;168:1172-9 pubmedThe flaAII.2, flaQ, and flaN genes of Salmonella typhimurium are important for assembly, rotation, and counterclockwise-clockwise switching of the flagellar motor...
- Braun T, Blair D. Targeted disulfide cross-linking of the MotB protein of Escherichia coli: evidence for two H(+) channels in the stator Complex. Biochemistry. 2001;40:13051-9 pubmed..Positions near the middle of the segment were inaccessible to sulhydryl reagents. Positions within 6-8 residues of either end, which includes residues around Asp32, were accessible. ..
- Blair D, Berg H. Mutations in the MotA protein of Escherichia coli reveal domains critical for proton conduction. J Mol Biol. 1991;221:1433-42 pubmed..The clustering of the mutations provides independent support for the suggestion that MotA is a transmembrane proton channel and places significant constraints on models for the molecular mechanism of ion conduction. ..
- Khan S, Dapice M, Reese T. Effects of mot gene expression on the structure of the flagellar motor. J Mol Biol. 1988;202:575-84 pubmed..The concomitant loss of the rings and motility is consistent with the ring particles having a central role in the flagellar motor. ..
- Minamino T, Yamaguchi S, Macnab R. Interaction between FliE and FlgB, a proximal rod component of the flagellar basal body of Salmonella. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:3029-36 pubmedb>FliE is a flagellar basal body protein of Salmonella whose detailed location and function have not been established...
- Chun S, Parkinson J. Bacterial motility: membrane topology of the Escherichia coli MotB protein. Science. 1988;239:276-8 pubmed..Protease treatment of MotB in spheroplasts confirmed this view. The simple transmembrane organization of MotB is difficult to reconcile with a role as a proton conductor. ..
- Garza A, Biran R, Wohlschlegel J, Manson M. Mutations in motB suppressible by changes in stator or rotor components of the bacterial flagellar motor. J Mol Biol. 1996;258:270-85 pubmed..We suggest that most of the suppressors restore motility by introducing compensatory realignments in MotA or FliG. ..