Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fliD
Description: flagellar filament capping protein
Alias: ECK1923, JW1909, flbC, rfs
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Hasegawa K, Yamashita I, Namba K. Quasi- and nonequivalence in the structure of bacterial flagellar filament. Biophys J. 1998;74:569-75 pubmed
- Maki S, Vonderviszt F, Furukawa Y, Imada K, Namba K. Plugging interactions of HAP2 pentamer into the distal end of flagellar filament revealed by electron microscopy. J Mol Biol. 1998;277:771-7 pubmed..The cap is an oligomeric assembly of HAP2 protein (also called FliD) and plays an essential role in the filament growth in vivo by preventing flagellin monomers from leaking out ..
- Yonekura K, Maki S, Morgan D, DeRosier D, Vonderviszt F, Imada K, et al. The bacterial flagellar cap as the rotary promoter of flagellin self-assembly. Science. 2000;290:2148-52 pubmed..This represents one of the most dynamic movements in protein structures. ..
- Kawagishi I, Muller V, Williams A, Irikura V, Macnab R. Subdivision of flagellar region III of the Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium chromosomes and identification of two additional flagellar genes. J Gen Microbiol. 1992;138:1051-65 pubmed..coli there is almost 7 kb of DNA between the filament cap gene, fliD, and the next known flagellar gene, fliE; a similar situation occurs in S. typhimurium...
- Song W, Cho S, Hong H, Park S, Yoon S. Self-Oligomerizing Structure of the Flagellar Cap Protein FliD and Its Implication in Filament Assembly. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:847-857 pubmed publisherb>FliD is a self-oligomerizing structural protein that caps the growing end of the bacterial flagellar filament. FliD also plays a key role in the flagellar system by continuously adding a new flagellin protein to the tip of the filament...