Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: flhB
Description: flagellin export apparatus, substrate specificity protein
Alias: ECK1881, JW1869, flaG, yecQ
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Amsler C, Cho M, Matsumura P. Multiple factors underlying the maximum motility of Escherichia coli as cultures enter post-exponential growth. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:6238-44 pubmed..Transcription from the flhB operon and synthesis of flagellin protein similarly peaked in late exponential and early post-exponential phases, ..
- Fraser G, González Pedrajo B, Tame J, Macnab R. Interactions of FliJ with the Salmonella type III flagellar export apparatus. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:5546-54 pubmed..We present a model summarizing these multiple interactions. ..
- Minamino T, Macnab R. FliH, a soluble component of the type III flagellar export apparatus of Salmonella, forms a complex with FliI and inhibits its ATPase activity. Mol Microbiol. 2000;37:1494-503 pubmed
- Kihara M, Minamino T, Yamaguchi S, Macnab R. Intergenic suppression between the flagellar MS ring protein FliF of Salmonella and FlhA, a membrane component of its export apparatus. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:1655-62 pubmed..The data from this study provide genetic support for a model in which at least the FlhA component of the export apparatus physically interacts with the MS ring within which it is housed. ..
- Hirano T, Shibata S, Ohnishi K, Tani T, Aizawa S. N-terminal signal region of FliK is dispensable for length control of the flagellar hook. Mol Microbiol. 2005;56:346-60 pubmed..Five genes involved in hook-length regulation are fliK, flhB, fliG, fliM and fliN...
- McMurry J, Van Arnam J, Kihara M, Macnab R. Analysis of the cytoplasmic domains of Salmonella FlhA and interactions with components of the flagellar export machinery. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:7586-92 pubmed..proteins are exported via a type III export apparatus which, in part, consists of the membrane proteins FlhA, FlhB, FliO, FliP, FliQ, and FliR and is housed within the membrane-supramembrane ring formed by FliF subunits...
- Barker C, Prüss B, Matsumura P. Increased motility of Escherichia coli by insertion sequence element integration into the regulatory region of the flhD operon. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:7529-37 pubmed..7-fold, leading to a 32-fold increase in fliA transcript and a 65-fold increase in flhB::luxCDABE expression from a promoter probe vector...
- González Pedrajo B, Minamino T, Kihara M, Namba K. Interactions between C ring proteins and export apparatus components: a possible mechanism for facilitating type III protein export. Mol Microbiol. 2006;60:984-98 pubmed..The importance of the C ring as a possible docking site for export substrates, chaperones and FliI through FliH for their efficient delivery to membrane components of the export apparatus is discussed. ..
- Moriya N, Minamino T, Hughes K, Macnab R, Namba K. The type III flagellar export specificity switch is dependent on FliK ruler and a molecular clock. J Mol Biol. 2006;359:466-77 pubmedSalmonella flagellar hook length is controlled at the level of export substrate specificity of the FlhB component of the type III flagellar export apparatus...
- Minamino T, Chu R, Yamaguchi S, Macnab R. Role of FliJ in flagellar protein export in Salmonella. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:4207-15 pubmed..We conclude that FliJ is a general component of the flagellar export apparatus and has a chaperone-like activity for both rod/hook-type and filament-type substrates. ..
- Maki S, Vonderviszt F, Furukawa Y, Imada K, Namba K. Plugging interactions of HAP2 pentamer into the distal end of flagellar filament revealed by electron microscopy. J Mol Biol. 1998;277:771-7 pubmed..This also allows us to model the axial domain arrangement of flagellin subunit in the filament. ..
- Zarivach R, Deng W, Vuckovic M, Felise H, Nguyen H, Miller S, et al. Structural analysis of the essential self-cleaving type III secretion proteins EscU and SpaS. Nature. 2008;453:124-7 pubmed publisher..related flagellar apparatus, a post-translational cleavage event within the inner membrane proteins EscU/FlhB is required to promote a secretion-competent state...
- Zhu K, González Pedrajo B, Macnab R. Interactions among membrane and soluble components of the flagellar export apparatus of Salmonella. Biochemistry. 2002;41:9516-24 pubmed..The components examined were two integral membrane proteins, FlhA and FlhB, and two soluble components, FliH and the ATPase FliI...
- Hasegawa K, Yamashita I, Namba K. Quasi- and nonequivalence in the structure of bacterial flagellar filament. Biophys J. 1998;74:569-75 pubmed
- Ferris H, Furukawa Y, Minamino T, Kroetz M, Kihara M, Namba K, et al. FlhB regulates ordered export of flagellar components via autocleavage mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:41236-42 pubmed..One of the export apparatus proteins, FlhB, regulates the substrate specificity of the entire apparatus; i.e...
- González Pedrajo B, Fraser G, Minamino T, Macnab R. Molecular dissection of Salmonella FliH, a regulator of the ATPase FliI and the type III flagellar protein export pathway. Mol Microbiol. 2002;45:967-82 pubmed..Based on these data, a model is presented for the domain construction and function of FliH in complex with FliI and FliJ. ..
- Maki Yonekura S, Yonekura K, Namba K. Domain movements of HAP2 in the cap-filament complex formation and growth process of the bacterial flagellum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:15528-33 pubmed
- Samatey F, Imada K, Nagashima S, Vonderviszt F, Kumasaka T, Yamamoto M, et al. Structure of the bacterial flagellar protofilament and implications for a switch for supercoiling. Nature. 2001;410:331-7 pubmed..By simulated extension of the protofilament model, we have identified possible switch regions responsible for the bi-stable mechanical switch that generates the 0.8 A difference in repeat distance. ..
- Kubori T, Sukhan A, Aizawa S, Galan J. Molecular characterization and assembly of the needle complex of the Salmonella typhimurium type III protein secretion system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:10225-30 pubmed..We hypothesize that the needle component may establish the specificity of type III secretion systems in delivering proteins into either plant or animal cells. ..
- Kutsukake K, Minamino T, Yokoseki T. Isolation and characterization of FliK-independent flagellation mutants from Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:7625-9 pubmed..Genetic and sequence analyses of the suppressor mutations revealed that they are located near the 3'-end of the flhB gene, which has been believed to be involved in the early process of the basal body assembly...
- McMurry J, Murphy J, González Pedrajo B. The FliN-FliH interaction mediates localization of flagellar export ATPase FliI to the C ring complex. Biochemistry. 2006;45:11790-8 pubmed..A model incorporating the present findings is presented. ..
- Minamino T, Ferris H, Moriya N, Kihara M, Namba K. Two parts of the T3S4 domain of the hook-length control protein FliK are essential for the substrate specificity switching of the flagellar type III export apparatus. J Mol Biol. 2006;362:1148-58 pubmed..switch (T3S4) domain of the hook-length control protein FliK, with the integral membrane export apparatus component FlhB. The T3S4 domain of FliK (FliKT3S4) consisting of amino acid residues 265-405 has an unstable and flexible ..
- Minamino T, Saijo Hamano Y, Furukawa Y, González Pedrajo B, Macnab R, Namba K. Domain organization and function of Salmonella FliK, a flagellar hook-length control protein. J Mol Biol. 2004;341:491-502 pubmed..apparatus from rod/ hook-type to filament-type by causing a conformational change in the cytoplasmic domain of FlhB (FlhB(C)) upon completion of the hook assembly...
- Minamino T, Macnab R. Components of the Salmonella flagellar export apparatus and classification of export substrates. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:1388-94 pubmed..Hook-capping protein (FlgD) and hook protein (FlgE) required FlhA, FlhB, FliH, FliI, FliO, FliP, FliQ, and FliR for their export to the periplasm...
- Fan F, Macnab R. Enzymatic characterization of FliI. An ATPase involved in flagellar assembly in Salmonella typhimurium. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:31981-8 pubmed..We propose that FliI has a C-terminal ATPase domain and an N-terminal domain that interacts with other components in the flagellum-specific export apparatus. ..