Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: flgM
Description: anti-sigma factor for FliA (sigma 28)
Alias: ECK1056, JW1058, mviS
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Hughes K, Mathee K. The anti-sigma factors. Annu Rev Microbiol. 1998;52:231-86 pubmed..The class includes AsiA form bacteriophage T4, which inhibits Escherichia coli sigma 70; FlgM, present in both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, which inhibits the flagella sigma factor sigma 28; ..
- Okada K, Ichihara H, Takahashi H, Fujita N, Ishihama A, Hakoshima T. Preparation and preliminary X-ray diffraction analysis of crystals of bacterial flagellar sigma factor sigma 28 in complex with the sigma 28-binding region of its antisigma factor, FlgM. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2007;63:196-9 pubmed..Its antisigma factor, FlgM, binds sigma28 factor and inhibits its activity as a transcription factor...
- Brown K, Hughes K. The role of anti-sigma factors in gene regulation. Mol Microbiol. 1995;16:397-404 pubmed..In B. subtilis, anti anti-sigma factors regulate anti-sigma factors by preventing an anti-sigma factor from interacting with its cognate sigma factors, thereby allowing transcription to occur. ..
- Karlinsey J, Tanaka S, Bettenworth V, Yamaguchi S, Boos W, Aizawa S, et al. Completion of the hook-basal body complex of the Salmonella typhimurium flagellum is coupled to FlgM secretion and fliC transcription. Mol Microbiol. 2000;37:1220-31 pubmed..After addition of tetracycline, the class 1 flhDC operon was transcribed immediately. Transcription of flgM (which is transcribed from both class 2 and class 3 promoters) began 15 min after induction...
- Schulmeister S, Ruttorf M, Thiem S, Kentner D, Lebiedz D, Sourjik V. Protein exchange dynamics at chemoreceptor clusters in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6403-8 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the rates of protein turnover at the cluster have evolved to ensure optimal performance of the chemotaxis pathway. ..
- Thiem S, Sourjik V. Stochastic assembly of chemoreceptor clusters in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2008;68:1228-36 pubmed publisher..Upon subsequent anchorage to defined lateral sites, clusters grow with rates that inversely depend on their size, and become polar upon several rounds of cell division. ..
- Dedmon M, Patel C, Young G, Pielak G. FlgM gains structure in living cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:12681-4 pubmedIntrinsically disordered proteins such as FlgM play important roles in biology, but little is known about their structure in cells...
- Kutsukake K. Hook-length control of the export-switching machinery involves a double-locked gate in Salmonella typhimurium flagellar morphogenesis. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:1268-73 pubmed..coupling of gene expression to morphogenesis is achieved by exporting the flagellum-specific anti-sigma factor, FlgM, out of the cell through the mature hook-basal body structure...
- Pallen M, Penn C, Chaudhuri R. Bacterial flagellar diversity in the post-genomic era. Trends Microbiol. 2005;13:143-9 pubmed..Numerous previously unrecognized homologues of flagellar components were discovered, including novel FlgM, FlgN, FliK and FliO homologues...
- Kutsukake K. Excretion of the anti-sigma factor through a flagellar substructure couples flagellar gene expression with flagellar assembly in Salmonella typhimurium. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;243:605-12 pubmed..A negative regulatory gene, flgM, which is responsible for the coupling of expression of class-3 operons to flagellar assembly, encodes an anti-..