Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: flgF
Description: flagellar component of cell-proximal portion of basal-body rod
Alias: ECK1062, JW1064, flaX
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Fahrner K, Block S, Krishnaswamy S, Parkinson J, Berg H. A mutant hook-associated protein (HAP3) facilitates torsionally induced transformations of the flagellar filament of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1994;238:173-86 pubmed..The N-terminal sequence of HAP3 was found to be similar to the N-terminal sequence of flagellin, and the possibility that it provides a nucleation site for the C-terminal region of flagellin is discussed. ..
- Suzuki H, Yonekura K, Namba K. Structure of the rotor of the bacterial flagellar motor revealed by electron cryomicroscopy and single-particle image analysis. J Mol Biol. 2004;337:105-13 pubmed
- Jones C, Homma M, Macnab R. Identification of proteins of the outer (L and P) rings of the flagellar basal body of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:1489-92 pubmed..Gene-polypeptide correlations from other studies enabled us to complete gene-polypeptide-structure correspondences for these two proteins as flaM----39-kilodalton protein----P ring and flaY----26-kilodalton protein----L ring. ..
- Sowa Y, Rowe A, Leake M, Yakushi T, Homma M, Ishijima A, et al. Direct observation of steps in rotation of the bacterial flagellar motor. Nature. 2005;437:916-9 pubmed..Backwards steps despite the absence of the flagellar switching protein CheY indicate a small change in free energy per step, similar to that of a single ion transit. ..
- Garza A, Bronstein P, Valdez P, Harris Haller L, Manson M. Extragenic suppression of motA missense mutations of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:6116-22 pubmed
- Hasegawa K, Yamashita I, Namba K. Quasi- and nonequivalence in the structure of bacterial flagellar filament. Biophys J. 1998;74:569-75 pubmed
- Juhas M, Ajioka J. Identification and validation of novel chromosomal integration and expression loci in Escherichia coli flagellar region 1. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0123007 pubmed publisher..coli K12 MG1655 flagellar region 1. We analyzed five open reading frames of the flagellar region 1, flgA, flgF, flgG, flgI, and flgJ, that are well-conserved among commonly-used E...
- Zhou J, Sharp L, Tang H, Lloyd S, Billings S, Braun T, et al. Function of protonatable residues in the flagellar motor of Escherichia coli: a critical role for Asp 32 of MotB. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:2729-35 pubmed..We propose that Asp 32 of MotB functions as a proton-binding site in the bacterial flagellar motor and that no other conserved, protonatable residues function in this capacity. ..
- Samatey F, Imada K, Nagashima S, Vonderviszt F, Kumasaka T, Yamamoto M, et al. Structure of the bacterial flagellar protofilament and implications for a switch for supercoiling. Nature. 2001;410:331-7 pubmed..By simulated extension of the protofilament model, we have identified possible switch regions responsible for the bi-stable mechanical switch that generates the 0.8 A difference in repeat distance. ..
- Thomas D, Morgan D, DeRosier D. Rotational symmetry of the C ring and a mechanism for the flagellar rotary motor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:10134-9 pubmed..Movement results from the swapping of stud-bound levers with M ring-bound levers. The model predicts that both the M and C rings rotate in the same direction but at different speeds. ..
- Saijo Hamano Y, Uchida N, Namba K, Oosawa K. In vitro characterization of FlgB, FlgC, FlgF, FlgG, and FliE, flagellar basal body proteins of Salmonella. J Mol Biol. 2004;339:423-35 pubmed..of the rod in detail, we have established purification procedures for Salmonella rod proteins, FlgB, FlgC, FlgF, FlgG, and also for FliE, a rod adapter protein, from an Escherichia coli expression system...
- Ridgway H, Silverman M, Simon M. Localization of proteins controlling motility and chemotaxis in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1977;132:657-65 pubmed..Differences in the intracellular locations of the che and mot gene prodcuts presumably reflect the functional attributes of these components. ..
- Katayama E, Shiraishi T, Oosawa K, Baba N, Aizawa S. Geometry of the flagellar motor in the cytoplasmic membrane of Salmonella typhimurium as determined by stereo-photogrammetry of quick-freeze deep-etch replica images. J Mol Biol. 1996;255:458-75 pubmed..Various dimensions of the MS ring complex and the C ring projecting from the membrane were determined by digital stereo-photogrammetry, and a three-dimensional model of the total basal structure is presented. ..
- Blair D, Berg H. Mutations in the MotA protein of Escherichia coli reveal domains critical for proton conduction. J Mol Biol. 1991;221:1433-42 pubmed..The clustering of the mutations provides independent support for the suggestion that MotA is a transmembrane proton channel and places significant constraints on models for the molecular mechanism of ion conduction. ..
- Jones C, Macnab R, Okino H, Aizawa S. Stoichiometric analysis of the flagellar hook-(basal-body) complex of Salmonella typhimurium. J Mol Biol. 1990;212:377-87 pubmed..distal rod protein (FlgG) is present at approximately 26 subunits, while the proximal rod proteins (FlgB, FlgC and FlgF) are present at only approximately six subunits each...
- Khan S, Dapice M, Reese T. Effects of mot gene expression on the structure of the flagellar motor. J Mol Biol. 1988;202:575-84 pubmed..The concomitant loss of the rings and motility is consistent with the ring particles having a central role in the flagellar motor. ..
- Yakushi T, Yang J, Fukuoka H, Homma M, Blair D. Roles of charged residues of rotor and stator in flagellar rotation: comparative study using H+-driven and Na+-driven motors in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:1466-72 pubmed..coli motor using both rotor and stator components from V. alginolyticus remained sensitive to mutation. Motor function in V. alginolyticus may be enhanced by the proteins MotX and MotY. ..
- Chun S, Parkinson J. Bacterial motility: membrane topology of the Escherichia coli MotB protein. Science. 1988;239:276-8 pubmed..Protease treatment of MotB in spheroplasts confirmed this view. The simple transmembrane organization of MotB is difficult to reconcile with a role as a proton conductor. ..
- Macnab R. How bacteria assemble flagella. Annu Rev Microbiol. 2003;57:77-100 pubmed..Exported substrates diffuse down a narrow channel in the growing structure and assemble at the distal end, often with the help of a capping structure. ..
- Maki Yonekura S, Yonekura K, Namba K. Domain movements of HAP2 in the cap-filament complex formation and growth process of the bacterial flagellum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:15528-33 pubmed
- Braun T, Al Mawsawi L, Kojima S, Blair D. Arrangement of core membrane segments in the MotA/MotB proton-channel complex of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2004;43:35-45 pubmed
- Komeda Y, Silverman M, Matsumura P, Simon M. Genes for the hook-basal body proteins of the flagellar apparatus in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1978;134:655-67 pubmed..The synthesis of all of these polypeptides was regulated by the same mechanism that regulates the synthesis of other flagellar-related structural components. ..
- Zhou J, Blair D. Residues of the cytoplasmic domain of MotA essential for torque generation in the bacterial flagellar motor. J Mol Biol. 1997;273:428-39 pubmed..Possible roles for these residues in torque generation are discussed. ..
- Leake M, Chandler J, Wadhams G, Bai F, Berry R, Armitage J. Stoichiometry and turnover in single, functioning membrane protein complexes. Nature. 2006;443:355-8 pubmed..04 s(-1): the dwell time of a given stator in the motor is only approximately 0.5 min. This is the first direct measurement of the number and rapid turnover of protein subunits within a functioning molecular machine. ..
- Yamaguchi S, Aizawa S, Kihara M, Isomura M, Jones C, Macnab R. Genetic evidence for a switching and energy-transducing complex in the flagellar motor of Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1986;168:1172-9 pubmed..This switch complex is probably mounted to the base of the flagellar basal body and, via binding of the CheY and CheZ proteins, receives sensory information and uses it to control flagellar operation. ..
- Zhou J, Fazzio R, Blair D. Membrane topology of the MotA protein of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1995;251:237-42 pubmed..These experiments establish that the main features of the suggested model for MotA topology are correct, furnishing a basis for more detailed structure-function studies of the MotA/MotB proton channel...
- Braun T, Blair D. Targeted disulfide cross-linking of the MotB protein of Escherichia coli: evidence for two H(+) channels in the stator Complex. Biochemistry. 2001;40:13051-9 pubmed..Positions near the middle of the segment were inaccessible to sulhydryl reagents. Positions within 6-8 residues of either end, which includes residues around Asp32, were accessible. ..
- Yonekura K, Maki S, Morgan D, DeRosier D, Vonderviszt F, Imada K, et al. The bacterial flagellar cap as the rotary promoter of flagellin self-assembly. Science. 2000;290:2148-52 pubmed..This represents one of the most dynamic movements in protein structures. ..
- Welch M, Oosawa K, Aizawa S, Eisenbach M. Phosphorylation-dependent binding of a signal molecule to the flagellar switch of bacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:8787-91 pubmed..This study provides a biochemical demonstration of binding of a signal molecule to the bacterial switch and demonstrates directly that phosphorylation regulates the activity of this molecule. ..
- Tang H, Braun T, Blair D. Motility protein complexes in the bacterial flagellar motor. J Mol Biol. 1996;261:209-21 pubmed..Torque generation in the flagellar motor is thus likely to involve interactions between these two protein complexes. ..
- Zhou J, Lloyd S, Blair D. Electrostatic interactions between rotor and stator in the bacterial flagellar motor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:6436-41 pubmed..These results identify a functionally important site of interaction between the rotor and stator and suggest a hypothesis for electrostatic interactions at the rotor-stator interface. ..
- Kutsukake K, Minamino T, Yokoseki T. Isolation and characterization of FliK-independent flagellation mutants from Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:7625-9 pubmed..On the basis of these results, we discuss the mechanism of suppression of the fliK defects by the flhB mutations and propose a hypothesis on the export switching machinery of the flagellar proteins. ..
- Kim E, Price Carter M, Carlquist W, Blair D. Membrane segment organization in the stator complex of the flagellar motor: implications for proton flow and proton-induced conformational change. Biochemistry. 2008;47:11332-9 pubmed publisher..The model indicates a close proximity for certain conserved, functionally important residues. The results are used to develop an explicit model for the proton-induced conformational change in the stator. ..