Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fimD
Description: fimbrial usher outer membrane porin protein; FimCD chaperone-usher
Alias: ECK4308, JW5780
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Farabella I, Pham T, Henderson N, Geibel S, Phan G, Thanassi D, et al. Allosteric signalling in the outer membrane translocation domain of PapC usher. elife. 2014;3: pubmed publisher..This study illuminates the gating mechanism of PapC ushers and its importance in maintaining outer-membrane permeability. ..
- Thanassi D, Saulino E, Hultgren S. The chaperone/usher pathway: a major terminal branch of the general secretory pathway. Curr Opin Microbiol. 1998;1:223-31 pubmed..Signaling events controlling pilus biogenesis have begun to emerge and investigations of the usher have yielded insights into pilus translocation across the outer membrane. ..
- Barnhart M, Sauer F, Pinkner J, Hultgren S. Chaperone-subunit-usher interactions required for donor strand exchange during bacterial pilus assembly. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:2723-30 pubmed..Furthermore, the donor strand exchange assembly mechanism between subunits was found to be necessary for subunit translocation across the outer membrane usher. ..
- Klemm P, Jørgensen B, Van Die I, De Ree H, Bergmans H. The fim genes responsible for synthesis of type 1 fimbriae in Escherichia coli, cloning and genetic organization. Mol Gen Genet. 1985;199:410-4 pubmed..5 kd, 23 kd, 26 kd, and 89 kd, the 16.6 kd polypeptide being the fimbrial subunit. The order to the genes was found to be: fimB, fimA, fimC, and fimD, organized in three transcriptional units.
- Thanassi D. Ushers and secretins: channels for the secretion of folded proteins across the bacterial outer membrane. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2002;4:11-20 pubmed..This review will discuss the usher and secretin families of integral outer membrane proteins, which function to allow the secretion of folded proteins in Gram-negative bacteria. ..
- Kuehn M, Jacob Dubuisson F, Dodson K, Slonim L, Striker R, Hultgren S. Genetic, biochemical, and structural studies of biogenesis of adhesive pili in bacteria. Methods Enzymol. 1994;236:282-306 pubmed
- Eidam O, Dworkowski F, Glockshuber R, Grutter M, Capitani G. Crystal structure of the ternary FimC-FimF(t)-FimD(N) complex indicates conserved pilus chaperone-subunit complex recognition by the usher FimD. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:651-5 pubmed publisherType 1 pili, anchored to the outer membrane protein FimD, enable uropathogenic Escherichia coli to attach to host cells...
- Kostakioti M, Newman C, Thanassi D, Stathopoulos C. Mechanisms of protein export across the bacterial outer membrane. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:4306-14 pubmed
- Munera D, Palomino C, Fernández L. Specific residues in the N-terminal domain of FimH stimulate type 1 fimbriae assembly in Escherichia coli following the initial binding of the adhesin to FimD usher. Mol Microbiol. 2008;69:911-25 pubmed publisher..complexes formed between fimbrial subunits and the FimC chaperone are recruited by the outer membrane protein FimD (the usher) for their ordered polymerization and export...
- Schwan W, Seifert H, Duncan J. Analysis of the fimB promoter region involved in type 1 pilus phase variation in Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;242:623-30 pubmed..This putative binding protein may be involved in the regulation of fimB, perhaps by acting as a transcriptional activator. ..
- Nishiyama M, Horst R, Eidam O, Herrmann T, Ignatov O, Vetsch M, et al. Structural basis of chaperone-subunit complex recognition by the type 1 pilus assembly platform FimD. EMBO J. 2005;24:2075-86 pubmed..from uropathogenic Escherichia coli are filamentous protein complexes that are attached to the assembly platform FimD in the outer membrane...
- Henderson N, Ng T, Talukder I, Thanassi D. Function of the usher N-terminus in catalysing pilus assembly. Mol Microbiol. 2011;79:954-67 pubmed publisher..systems of uropathogenic Escherichia coli, we show that a conserved N-terminal disulphide region of the PapC and FimD ushers, as well as residue F4 of FimD, are required for the catalytic activity of the ushers...
- Thanassi D, Saulino E, Lombardo M, Roth R, Heuser J, Hultgren S. The PapC usher forms an oligomeric channel: implications for pilus biogenesis across the outer membrane. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:3146-51 pubmed..The usher complex appears to be similar to complexes formed by members of the PulD/pIV family of OM proteins, and thus these two protein families, previously thought to be unrelated, may share structural and functional homologies. ..
- Ng T, Akman L, Osisami M, Thanassi D. The usher N terminus is the initial targeting site for chaperone-subunit complexes and participates in subsequent pilus biogenesis events. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:5321-31 pubmed..Mutagenesis of the P pilus usher PapC and the type 1 pilus usher FimD was undertaken to elucidate the initial stages of pilus biogenesis at the OM...
- Nishiyama M, Vetsch M, Puorger C, Jelesarov I, Glockshuber R. Identification and characterization of the chaperone-subunit complex-binding domain from the type 1 pilus assembly platform FimD. J Mol Biol. 2003;330:513-25 pubmedThe outer membrane protein FimD represents the assembly platform of adhesive type 1 pili from Escherichia coli. FimD forms ring-shaped oligomers of 91...
- Capitani G, Eidam O, Grutter M. Evidence for a novel domain of bacterial outer membrane ushers. Proteins. 2006;65:816-23 pubmed..Several mutations reported to abolish in vivo pilus formation cluster in this region, underlining its functional importance. ..
- Saulino E, Bullitt E, Hultgren S. Snapshots of usher-mediated protein secretion and ordered pilus assembly. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:9240-5 pubmed..Specialized pilin subunits play unique roles both in this multimerization and in the final ultrastructure of the adhesive pilus. ..
- Palomino C, Marín E, Fernández L. The fimbrial usher FimD follows the SurA-BamB pathway for its assembly in the outer membrane of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:5222-30 pubmed publisher..the ?-barrel assembly machinery (BAM) complex (BamA, BamB, BamC, and BamE) in the folding of the Escherichia coli FimD usher...
- Nishiyama M, Ishikawa T, Rechsteiner H, Glockshuber R. Reconstitution of pilus assembly reveals a bacterial outer membrane catalyst. Science. 2008;320:376-9 pubmed publisher..We reconstituted type 1 pilus biogenesis from purified pilus proteins. The usher FimD acted as a catalyst to accelerate the ordered assembly of protein subunits independently of cellular energy...
- Klemm P, Christiansen G. The fimD gene required for cell surface localization of Escherichia coli type 1 fimbriae. Mol Gen Genet. 1990;220:334-8 pubmedThe fimD gene of Escherichia coli K12 was shown to be necessary for surface localization of type 1 fimbriae, since deletion of the gene resulted in a virtually bald phenotype. The FimD protein was found to be located in the outer membrane...
- Li H, Qian L, Chen Z, Thibault D, Liu G, Liu T, et al. The outer membrane usher forms a twin-pore secretion complex. J Mol Biol. 2004;344:1397-407 pubmed..The overall molecular size (11 nm), pore size (2 nm), and twin-pore configuration of PapC resemble that of the Tom40 complex, a mitochondrial outer membrane protein translocase. ..
- Thanassi D, Stathopoulos C, Karkal A, Li H. Protein secretion in the absence of ATP: the autotransporter, two-partner secretion and chaperone/usher pathways of gram-negative bacteria (review). Mol Membr Biol. 2005;22:63-72 pubmed..This review will present overviews of these 'self-sufficient' pathways, focusing on recent advances and secretion mechanisms. Similarities among the pathways and with other protein translocation mechanisms will be highlighted. ..
- Thanassi D, Hultgren S. Multiple pathways allow protein secretion across the bacterial outer membrane. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2000;12:420-30 pubmed..Recent work is beginning to reveal the structure and function of various secretion components and the molecular mechanisms of secretion. ..
- Thanassi D, Hultgren S. Assembly of complex organelles: pilus biogenesis in gram-negative bacteria as a model system. Methods. 2000;20:111-26 pubmed..This review discusses these approaches as they relate to pilus assembly, with an emphasis on newer techniques. ..
- Sauer F, Remaut H, Hultgren S, Waksman G. Fiber assembly by the chaperone-usher pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1694:259-67 pubmed..Chaperone dissociation releases the folding energy that drives subunit incorporation into the fiber, which grows through a pore formed by the outer-membrane usher. ..
- So S, Thanassi D. Analysis of the requirements for pilus biogenesis at the outer membrane usher and the function of the usher C-terminus. Mol Microbiol. 2006;60:364-75 pubmed
- Thanassi D, Stathopoulos C, Dodson K, Geiger D, Hultgren S. Bacterial outer membrane ushers contain distinct targeting and assembly domains for pilus biogenesis. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:6260-9 pubmed..These studies suggest that chaperone-subunit complexes target an N-terminal domain of the usher and that subunit assembly into pili depends on a subsequent function provided by the usher C terminus. ..