Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fes
Description: enterobactin/ferrienterobactin esterase
Alias: ECK0577, JW0576
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Wayne R, Frick K, Neilands J. Siderophore protection against colicins M, B, V, and Ia in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1976;126:7-12 pubmed..Thus, enterobactin specifically protects against colicin B in fes- mutants (able to accumulate but unable to utilize enterobactin) as predicted by our proposal that the colicin B ..
- Laird A, Young I. Tn5 mutagenesis of the enterochelin gene cluster of Escherichia coli. Gene. 1980;11:359-66 pubmed..The order of the genes was established as entD, fes, entF, fep, and entCAGBE and the nine genes were shown to be distributed across 26 kb of DNA...
- Laird A, Ribbons D, Woodrow G, Young I. Bacteriophage Mu-mediated gene transposition and in vitro cloning of the enterochelin gene cluster of Escherichia coli. Gene. 1980;11:347-57 pubmed..The partial gene order (entD, fes), entF, fep, entC, ent(ABEG).....
- Schubert S, Fischer D, Heesemann J. Ferric enterochelin transport in Yersinia enterocolitica: molecular and evolutionary aspects. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:6387-95 pubmed..In this study, we report on the molecular and functional characterization of the Yersinia fep-fes gene cluster orthologous to the Escherichia coli ferrienterochelin transport genes (fepA, fepDGC, and fepB) and the ..
- Escolar L, Perez Martin J, de Lorenzo V. Coordinated repression in vitro of the divergent fepA-fes promoters of Escherichia coli by the iron uptake regulation (Fur) protein. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:2579-82 pubmedThe mechanism involved in transcriptional repression of the fepA-fes divergent promoters of Escherichia coli by the Fur (ferric uptake regulation) protein has been examined in vitro...
- Winkelmann G, Cansier A, Beck W, Jung G. HPLC separation of enterobactin and linear 2,3-dihydroxybenzoylserine derivatives: a study on mutants of Escherichia coli defective in regulation (fur), esterase (fes) and transport (fepA). Biometals. 1994;7:149-54 pubmed..in the regulation of enterobactin biosynthesis (fur), enterobactin transport (fepA) and enterobactin esterase (fes)...
- Langman L, Young I, Frost G, Rosenberg H, Gibson F. Enterochelin system of iron transport in Escherichia coli: mutations affecting ferric-enterochelin esterase. J Bacteriol. 1972;112:1142-9 pubmed..The mutants (designated fes(-)) were shown to be unaffected in enterochelin biosynthesis, capable of enterochelin-mediated iron uptake, and ..
- Pettis G, McIntosh M. Molecular characterization of the Escherichia coli enterobactin cistron entF and coupled expression of entF and the fes gene. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:4154-62 pubmed..clone (pITS312) containing the identical entF-lacZ fusion and a larger region upstream of entF including the entire fes gene and extending into the fepA gene (whose transcription is in the opposite direction relative to entF) expressed ..
- Plaha D, Rogers H. Effect of osmotic shock and shearing forces on ferric enterochelin transport in Escherichia coli K12. J Gen Microbiol. 1987;133:1227-34 pubmedThe fes mutation in Escherichia coli K12, which inactivates enterochelin esterase, allows the cell to accumulate ferric enterochelin...
- Brickman T, McIntosh M. Overexpression and purification of ferric enterobactin esterase from Escherichia coli. Demonstration of enzymatic hydrolysis of enterobactin and its iron complex. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:12350-5 pubmedThe Escherichia coli ferric enterobactin esterase gene (fes) was cloned into the vector pGEM3Z under the control of the T7 gene 10 promoter and overexpressed to approximately 15% of the total cellular protein...
- Konisky J, Soucek S, Frick K, Davies J, Hammond C. Relationship between the transport of iron and the amount of specific colicin Ia membrane receptors in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1976;127:249-57 pubmed..coli K-12 defective in their ability to utilize exogenously supplied iron due to genetic defects in the entF, tonB, fes, or fep gene exhibited elevated levels of the specific outer-membrane receptor for colicin Ia when compared with ..
- Hoerter J, Pierce A, Troupe C, Epperson J, Eisenstark A. Role of enterobactin and intracellular iron in cell lethality during near-UV irradiation in Escherichia coli. Photochem Photobiol. 1996;64:537-41 pubmed..A fes mutant, which is unable to reduce and release iron from enterobactin, is significantly more sensitive to NUV ..
- Pettis G, Brickman T, McIntosh M. Transcriptional mapping and nucleotide sequence of the Escherichia coli fepA-fes enterobactin region. Identification of a unique iron-regulated bidirectional promoter. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:18857-63 pubmedThe iron-controlled fepA and fes-entF transcripts from the Escherichia coli enterobactin gene complex are expressed divergently from a limited genetic region, thereby suggesting the existence of a single, possibly overlapping promoter ..