Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ECs5151
Description: FtsH protease regulator HflC
Species: Escherichia coli O157:H7 str. Sakai
- Kihara A, Akiyama Y, Ito K. Host regulation of lysogenic decision in bacteriophage lambda: transmembrane modulation of FtsH (HflB), the cII degrading protease, by HflKC (HflA). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:5544-9 pubmed..This study necessitates a revision of the prevailing view about the host control over lambda lysogenic decision. ..
- Tsui H, Feng G, Winkler M. Transcription of the mutL repair, miaA tRNA modification, hfq pleiotropic regulator, and hflA region protease genes of Escherichia coli K-12 from clustered Esigma32-specific promoters during heat shock. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:5719-31 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that there is a class of E sigma(32) promoters that functions mainly at high temperatures to ensure E. coli function and survival. ..
- Zorick T, Echols H. Membrane localization of the HflA regulatory protease of Escherichia coli by immunoelectron microscopy. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:6307-10 pubmed..We conclude that HflA protease is localized in the cell membrane. The membrane location for HflA protein may serve as a component of a targeting mechanism to limit the action of the regulatory protease to selected cytoplasmic proteins. ..
- Banuett F, Hoyt M, McFarlane L, Echols H, Herskowitz I. hflB, a new Escherichia coli locus regulating lysogeny and the level of bacteriophage lambda cII protein. J Mol Biol. 1986;187:213-24 pubmed..These observations reinforce the view that the level of cII is a key factor in the lysis-lysogeny decision of lambda. ..
- Herman C, Ogura T, Tomoyasu T, Hiraga S, Akiyama Y, Ito K, et al. Cell growth and lambda phage development controlled by the same essential Escherichia coli gene, ftsH/hflB. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:10861-5 pubmed..Suppressor mutations of ftsH1 temperature-sensitive lethality, located in the fur gene (coding for the ferric uptake regulator), did not restore FtsH/HflB activity with respect to lambda lysogenization. ..
- Tsui H, Winkler M. Transcriptional patterns of the mutL-miaA superoperon of Escherichia coli K-12 suggest a model for posttranscriptional regulation. Biochimie. 1994;76:1168-77 pubmed..A model is presented for RNase E-mediated posttranscriptional regulation that may coordinate mutL expression with replication and miaA with tRNA amounts under different growth conditions, especially during nutrient upshifts. ..
- Cheng H, Muhlrad P, Hoyt M, Echols H. Cleavage of the cII protein of phage lambda by purified HflA protease: control of the switch between lysis and lysogeny. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:7882-6 pubmed..The HflA protease activity cleaves cII to small fragments. We conclude that the switch between lambda developmental pathways involves regulated cleavage of cII by the specific protease HflA. ..
- Kajitani M, Ishihama A. Identification and sequence determination of the host factor gene for bacteriophage Q beta. Nucleic Acids Res. 1991;19:1063-6 pubmed..Sequence determination of the cloned hfq gene indicated that HF-I is a small protein of Mr 11,166 consisting of 102 amino acid residues. ..
- Kihara A, Ito K. Translocation, folding, and stability of the HflKC complex with signal anchor topogenic sequences. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:29770-5 pubmed..We characterized several hflA alleles isolated in early studies; they alter the HflK or the HflC sequence and destabilize the HflKC complex. ..