Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ECs3553
Description: carbon storage regulator
Species: Escherichia coli O157:H7 str. Sakai
- Sabnis N, Yang H, Romeo T. Pleiotropic regulation of central carbohydrate metabolism in Escherichia coli via the gene csrA. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:29096-104 pubmed..In contrast, the expression of genes of the pentose phosphate pathway was weakly or negligibly affected by csrA. ..
- Suzuki K, Wang X, Weilbacher T, Pernestig A, Melefors O, Georgellis D, et al. Regulatory circuitry of the CsrA/CsrB and BarA/UvrY systems of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:5130-40 pubmed..Collectively, these results demonstrate that uvrY resides downstream from csrA in a signaling pathway for csrB and that CsrA stimulates UvrY-dependent activation of csrB expression by BarA-dependent and -independent mechanisms...
- Murayama N, Shimizu H, Takiguchi S, Baba Y, Amino H, Horiuchi T, et al. Evidence for involvement of Escherichia coli genes pmbA, csrA and a previously unrecognized gene tldD, in the control of DNA gyrase by letD (ccdB) of sex factor F. J Mol Biol. 1996;256:483-502 pubmed..tldD is a novel gene, but the tldE and zfiA genes proved to be the pmbA gene (production of Microcin B17) and the csrA gene (carbon storage regulator), respectively...
- Nogueira T, Springer M. Post-transcriptional control by global regulators of gene expression in bacteria. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2000;3:154-8 pubmed..These examples underline the importance of this type of control in bacterial gene regulation. ..
- Romeo T, Gong M. Genetic and physical mapping of the regulatory gene csrA on the Escherichia coli K-12 chromosome. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:5740-1 pubmed
- Hardie K, Cooksley C, Green A, Winzer K. Autoinducer 2 activity in Escherichia coli culture supernatants can be actively reduced despite maintenance of an active synthase, LuxS. Microbiology. 2003;149:715-28 pubmed publisher..Moreover, GRAIL is not due to inactivation of the enzymic activity of LuxS, since in E. coli, LuxS contained within stationary-phase cells grown in the absence of glucose maintains its activity in vitro...
- Heeb S, Haas D. Regulatory roles of the GacS/GacA two-component system in plant-associated and other gram-negative bacteria. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2001;14:1351-63 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that the GacS/GacA system operates a switch between primary and secondary metabolism, with a major involvement of posttranscriptional control mechanisms...
- Romeo T. Global regulation by the small RNA-binding protein CsrA and the non-coding RNA molecule CsrB. Mol Microbiol. 1998;29:1321-30 pubmed..The presence of csrA homologues in phylogenetically diverse species further suggests that this novel kind of regulatory system is likely to play a broad role in modulating eubacterial gene expression. ..
- Liu M, Gui G, Wei B, Preston J, Oakford L, Yuksel U, et al. The RNA molecule CsrB binds to the global regulatory protein CsrA and antagonizes its activity in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:17502-10 pubmed..A highly repeated nucleotide sequence located within predicted stem-loops and other single-stranded regions of CsrB, CAGGA(U/A/C)G, is a plausible CsrA-binding element. ..
- Altier C, Suyemoto M, Lawhon S. Regulation of Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium invasion genes by csrA. Infect Immun. 2000;68:6790-7 pubmed
- Romeo T, Gong M, Liu M, Brun Zinkernagel A. Identification and molecular characterization of csrA, a pleiotropic gene from Escherichia coli that affects glycogen biosynthesis, gluconeogenesis, cell size, and surface properties. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:4744-55 pubmed..Computer-assisted data base searches failed to identify genes or proteins that are homologous with csrA or its gene product. ..
- Fettes P, Forsbach Birk V, Lynch D, Marre R. Overexpresssion of a Legionella pneumophila homologue of the E. coli regulator csrA affects cell size, flagellation, and pigmentation. Int J Med Microbiol. 2001;291:353-60 pubmed publisher..This suggests that similar to E. coli and Erwinia, L. pneumophila csrA is a regulator of gene expression and may contribute to the capability of the pathogen to rapidly adapt to changing environments...
- Jiang G, Nikolova S, Clark D. Regulation of the ldhA gene, encoding the fermentative lactate dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 2001;147:2437-46 pubmed publisher..In contrast, pyruvate caused a two- to fourfold increase in expression of ldhA-lacZ. This accords with the idea that increased sugar metabolism indirectly induces ldhA...
- Baker C, Morozov I, Suzuki K, Romeo T, Babitzke P. CsrA regulates glycogen biosynthesis by preventing translation of glgC in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2002;44:1599-610 pubmed..This inhibition of translation probably contributes to destabilization of the glgC transcript that was observed previously...
- Tatarko M, Romeo T. Disruption of a global regulatory gene to enhance central carbon flux into phenylalanine biosynthesis in Escherichia coli. Curr Microbiol. 2001;43:26-32 pubmed..These effects of csrA were not mediated by increasing the regulatory enzymes of phenylalanine biosynthesis. This study introduces the concept of "global metabolic engineering" for second-generation strain improvement. ..
- Wei B, Brun Zinkernagel A, Simecka J, Prüss B, Babitzke P, Romeo T. Positive regulation of motility and flhDC expression by the RNA-binding protein CsrA of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2001;40:245-56 pubmed..Thus, CsrA stimulates flhDC gene expression by a post-transcriptional mechanism reminiscent of its function in the repression of glycogen biosynthesis. ..
- Liu M, Yang H, Romeo T. The product of the pleiotropic Escherichia coli gene csrA modulates glycogen biosynthesis via effects on mRNA stability. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:2663-72 pubmed..The results indicate that CsrA accelerates net 5'-to-3' degradation of glg transcripts, potentially through selective RNA binding. ..
- Wei B, Shin S, Laporte D, Wolfe A, Romeo T. Global regulatory mutations in csrA and rpoS cause severe central carbon stress in Escherichia coli in the presence of acetate. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:1632-40 pubmed..We conclude that central carbon flux imbalance, inhibition of amino acid uptake, and a deficiency in acetate metabolism apparently are combined to cause metabolic stress by depleting the TCA cycle. ..
- Liaw S, Lai H, Ho S, Luh K, Wang W. Role of RsmA in the regulation of swarming motility and virulence factor expression in Proteus mirabilis. J Med Microbiol. 2003;52:19-28 pubmed publisher..RsmA homologues cloned from Serratia marcescens and Erwinia carotovora subsp. carotovora could also inhibit swarming and virulence factor expression in Proteus mirabilis...