Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ECs0890
Description: DNA starvation/stationary phase protection protein Dps
Species: Escherichia coli O157:H7 str. Sakai
- Pena M, Burkhart W, Bullerjahn G. Purification and characterization of a Synechococcus sp. strain PCC 7942 polypeptide structurally similar to the stress-induced Dps/PexB protein of Escherichia coli. Arch Microbiol. 1995;163:337-44 pubmed..We propose that the 150-kDa complex represents a hexameric aggregate of the Dps-like protein complexed with single-stranded DNA and serves to bind a portion of the chromosomal DNA under nutrient-limited conditions. ..
- Stephani K, Weichart D, Hengge R. Dynamic control of Dps protein levels by ClpXP and ClpAP proteases in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2003;49:1605-14 pubmed..In summary, both ClpXP and ClpAP exert significant control of Dps levels by affecting log phase stability and stationary phase synthesis of Dps respectively...
- Brentjens R, Ketterer M, Apicella M, Spinola S. Fine tangled pili expressed by Haemophilus ducreyi are a novel class of pili. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:808-16 pubmed..We conclude that H. ducreyi synthesizes fine, tangled pili that are composed of a unique major subunit, which may be exported by a signal sequence independent mechanism...
- Choi S, Baumler D, Kaspar C. Contribution of dps to acid stress tolerance and oxidative stress tolerance in Escherichia coli O157:H7. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000;66:3911-6 pubmed..The results from this study establish that Dps contributes to acid tolerance in E. coli O157:H7 and confirm the importance of Dps in oxidative stress protection. ..
- Ali Azam T, Iwata A, Nishimura A, Ueda S, Ishihama A. Growth phase-dependent variation in protein composition of the Escherichia coli nucleoid. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:6361-70 pubmed..These changes in the composition of nucleoid-associated proteins in the stationary phase are accompanied by compaction of the genome DNA and silencing of the genome functions. ..
- Durham K, Bullerjahn G. Immunocytochemical localization of the stress-induced DpsA protein in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. strain PCC 7942. J Basic Microbiol. 2002;42:367-72 pubmed..2001). Additionally, the pattern of DpsA localization in cells as they progress through the growth curve suggests that the DpsA complex may be involved in metal ion transport across the cell envelope. ..
- Lomovskaya O, Kidwell J, Matin A. Characterization of the sigma 38-dependent expression of a core Escherichia coli starvation gene, pexB. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:3928-35 pubmed..The -10 and -35 regions of pexB resembled those of some but not all genes known to be controlled by sigma 38. ..
- Jürgen B, Lin H, Riemschneider S, Scharf C, Neubauer P, Schmid R, et al. Monitoring of genes that respond to overproduction of an insoluble recombinant protein in Escherichia coli glucose-limited fed-batch fermentations. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2000;70:217-24 pubmed..Host stress proteins, like DnaK, GroEL, IbpA, IbpB, and OmpT, have been found to be associated with the alpha-glucosidase protein aggregates. ..
- Azam T, Hiraga S, Ishihama A. Two types of localization of the DNA-binding proteins within the Escherichia coli nucleoid. Genes Cells. 2000;5:613-26 pubmed..coli could be classified into two groups. One group proteins was distributed uniformly within the nucleoid, but the other group of proteins showed an irregular distribution, forming immuno-stained spots or clumps. ..
- Ilari A, Ceci P, Ferrari D, Rossi G, Chiancone E. Iron incorporation into Escherichia coli Dps gives rise to a ferritin-like microcrystalline core. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:37619-23 pubmed publisher..The reaction appears to have two phases, with t(12) of a few seconds and several minutes at neutral pH values, as in canonical ferritins. This behavior is attributed to a similar composition of the iron core...
- Zhao G, Ceci P, Ilari A, Giangiacomo L, Laue T, Chiancone E, et al. Iron and hydrogen peroxide detoxification properties of DNA-binding protein from starved cells. A ferritin-like DNA-binding protein of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:27689-96 pubmed publisher..In the latter process a hydrous ferric oxide mineral core is produced within the protein, thus avoiding oxidative damage mediated by Fenton chemistry...
- Gourmelon M, Touati D, Pommepuy M, Cormier M. Survival of Escherichia coli exposed to visible light in seawater: analysis of rpoS-dependent effects. Can J Microbiol. 1997;43:1036-43 pubmed..In freshwater, rpoS and katE katG dps mutants did not show a drastic difference in sensitivity to light suggesting that osmolarity sensitizes E. coli to those deleterious effects of visible light that are unrelated to H2O2. ..
- Yamamoto Y, Poole L, Hantgan R, Kamio Y. An iron-binding protein, Dpr, from Streptococcus mutans prevents iron-dependent hydroxyl radical formation in vitro. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:2931-9 pubmed..mutans and may allow this catalase- and heme-peroxidase-deficient bacterium to grow under air by limiting the iron-catalyzed Fenton reaction...
- Jeong K, Baumler D, Kaspar C. dps expression in Escherichia coli O157:H7 requires an extended -10 region and is affected by the cAMP receptor protein. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1759:51-9 pubmed
- Michan C, Manchado M, Dorado G, Pueyo C. In vivo transcription of the Escherichia coli oxyR regulon as a function of growth phase and in response to oxidative stress. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:2759-64 pubmed..Expression of trxA was not increased either by H2O2 stress or by a shift to high-osmolarity conditions. ..
- Dukan S, Touati D. Hypochlorous acid stress in Escherichia coli: resistance, DNA damage, and comparison with hydrogen peroxide stress. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:6145-50 pubmed..Sensitivity was visible in the wild type only at concentrations above 0.6 mg/liter, but it was observed at much lower concentrations in dps recA mutants. ..
- Wolf S, Frenkiel D, Arad T, Finkel S, Kolter R, Minsky A. DNA protection by stress-induced biocrystallization. Nature. 1999;400:83-5 pubmed
- Grant R, Filman D, Finkel S, Kolter R, Hogle J. The crystal structure of Dps, a ferritin homolog that binds and protects DNA. Nat Struct Biol. 1998;5:294-303 pubmed..The structure suggests a novel DNA-binding motif and a mechanism for DNA protection based on the sequestration of Fe ions...
- Ivanova A, Glinsky G, Eisenstark A. Role of rpoS regulon in resistance to oxidative stress and near-UV radiation in delta oxyR suppressor mutants of Escherichia coli. Free Radic Biol Med. 1997;23:627-36 pubmed..These results provide further evidence of the functional and regulatory overlap between two major anti-oxidant defense systems of bacteria. ..
- Gupta S, Pandit S, Srinivasan N, Chatterji D. Proteomics analysis of carbon-starved Mycobacterium smegmatis: induction of Dps-like protein. Protein Eng. 2002;15:503-12 pubmed..Using comparative modelling we were able to show that Dps from M.smegmatis could form a dodecamer structure similar to the crystal structure of Dps from Escherichia coli...
- Weichart D, Querfurth N, Dreger M, Hengge Aronis R. Global role for ClpP-containing proteases in stationary-phase adaptation of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:115-25 pubmed..Therefore, regulation by proteolysis seems to be more important, especially in resting cells, than previously suspected...
- Antelmann H, Engelmann S, Schmid R, Sorokin A, Lapidus A, Hecker M. Expression of a stress- and starvation-induced dps/pexB-homologous gene is controlled by the alternative sigma factor sigmaB in Bacillus subtilis. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:7251-6 pubmed..These results confirm our suggestion that sigmaB-dependent general stress proteins of B. subtilis are absolutely required for the development of nonspecific resistance to oxidative stress. ..
- Ferguson G, Creighton R, Nikolaev Y, Booth I. Importance of RpoS and Dps in survival of exposure of both exponential- and stationary-phase Escherichia coli cells to the electrophile N-ethylmaleimide. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1030-6 pubmed..A slower-growing E. coli strain was also found to accumulate RpoS and had enhanced resistance to NEM. These data emphasize the multiplicity of pathways involved in protecting E. coli cells against NEM. ..
- Polidoro M, De Biase D, Montagnini B, Guarrera L, Cavallo S, Valenti P, et al. The expression of the dodecameric ferritin in Listeria spp. is induced by iron limitation and stationary growth phase. Gene. 2002;296:121-8 pubmed
- Cao G, Sarkar N. Stationary phase-specific mRNAs in Escherichia coli are polyadenylated. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;239:46-50 pubmed..coli, some of which are transcribed by the RNA polymerase associated with sigma, demonstrates that mRNA polyadenylation is not confined to the exponential phase of growth. ..
- Rychlewski L, Zhang B, Godzik A. Functional insights from structural predictions: analysis of the Escherichia coli genome. Protein Sci. 1999;8:614-24 pubmed
- Ishihama A. Modulation of the nucleoid, the transcription apparatus, and the translation machinery in bacteria for stationary phase survival. Genes Cells. 1999;4:135-43 pubmed..A small stationary-phase protein, RMF (Ribosome Modulation Factor), is involved in the dimerization of 70S ribosome monomers. ..
- Bechtloff D, Grünenfelder B, Akerlund T, Nordstrom K. Analysis of protein synthesis rates after initiation of chromosome replication in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:6292-9 pubmed
- Martinez A, Kolter R. Protection of DNA during oxidative stress by the nonspecific DNA-binding protein Dps. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:5188-94 pubmed..The widespread conservation of Dps homologs among prokaryotes suggests that this may be a general strategy for coping with oxidative stress. ..
- Freestone P, Grant S, Trinei M, Onoda T, Norris V. Protein phosphorylation in Escherichia coli L. form NC-7. Microbiology. 1998;144 ( Pt 12):3289-95 pubmed..Two new phosphoproteins were identified in the L-form as the DNA-binding protein Dps, and YfiD, a protein of 14 kDa with homology to pyruvate formate-lyase and a region containing a tRNA cluster in bacteriophage T5. ..
- Nohno T, Saito T, Hong J. Cloning and complete nucleotide sequence of the Escherichia coli glutamine permease operon (glnHPQ). Mol Gen Genet. 1986;205:260-9 pubmed..There were two additional reading frames (glnP and glnQ) downstream of glnH sharing a common promoter. It was concluded that the glnP and glnQ proteins as well as the glnH protein are essential for glutamine permease activity...
- Chen L, Helmann J. Bacillus subtilis MrgA is a Dps(PexB) homologue: evidence for metalloregulation of an oxidative-stress gene. Mol Microbiol. 1995;18:295-300 pubmed..These results indicate a complex interplay between metal ions and the expression of the B. subtilis oxidative stress response. ..
- Eppler T, Postma P, Sch tz A, V lker U, Boos W. Glycerol-3-phosphate-induced catabolite repression in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:3044-52 pubmed
- Andrews S, Robinson A, Rodr guez Qui ones F. Bacterial iron homeostasis. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2003;27:215-37 pubmed
- Noll M, Petrukhin K, Lutsenko S. Identification of a novel transcription regulator from Proteus mirabilis, PMTR, revealed a possible role of YJAI protein in balancing zinc in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:21393-401 pubmed..We propose that YJAI is an important component of the zinc-balancing mechanism in E. coli, the up-regulation of which with PMTR results in an increased tolerance to zinc. ..
- Reindel S, Anem ller S, Sawaryn A, Matzanke B. The DpsA-homologue of the archaeon Halobacterium salinarum is a ferritin. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1598:140-6 pubmed..This protein exhibits features of a non-heme type bacterial ferritin (Ftn) although it shares only little sequence homology with Ftn. Molecular modelling disclosed a high structural similarity to E. coli Dps...
- Phadtare S, Inouye M. Role of CspC and CspE in regulation of expression of RpoS and UspA, the stress response proteins in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:1205-14 pubmed publisher..In the light of these observations, it seems plausible that CspC and CspE function as regulatory elements for the expression of stress proteins in the complex stress response network of E. coli...
- Boylan J, Posey J, Gherardini F. Borrelia oxidative stress response regulator, BosR: a distinctive Zn-dependent transcriptional activator. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:11684-9 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these data, we propose that, despite the similarity to PerR, BosR functions primarily as a transcriptional activator, not a repressor of oxidative stress response, in B. burgdorferi...