Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: deoC
Description: 2-deoxyribose-5-phosphate aldolase, NAD(P)-linked
Alias: ECK4373, JW4344, dra, thyR, tlr
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Sukhodolets V. [Homologous recombination between direct repeats of chromosomal segments comprising heterozygotic duplications in Escherichia coli]. Genetika. 2000;36:758-66 pubmed..double mutants for the deo operon of Escherichia coli, haploid recombinants and extended tandem duplications deoC deoD/deoA deoB::Tn5 with the DeoC+DeoA+DeoB+DeoD- phenotype are formed (the deoD+ allele is not expressed due to ..
- Sukhodolets V. [Formation of the heterozygous tandem duplication in the process of conjugation recombination in Escherichia coli: study of the effect of mutations for the recQ, uvrD, and recJ genes]. Genetika. 1999;35:450-8 pubmed..The duplications deoC deoD/deoA deoB::Tn5 usually constitute approximately 5% of the Deo+ offspring...
- Sukhodolets V, Mironov A, Lin kova E. [Disturbance of the tandem promotor functioning of the Escherichia coli K-12 deo-operon in the genome of the rho15(ts) mutant for the transcription termination factor]. Genetika. 1981;17:1719-29 pubmed..nucleoside phosphorylase (deoD gene) activity, while the deoxyriboaldolase activity controlled by the proximal deoC gene almost does not differ in the rho+ and rho15 strains...
- Sukhodolets V. [Further genetic study of tandem duplication formation in the region of the deo operon in the process of Escherichia coli K-12 conjugational recombination]. Genetika. 1998;34:1338-44 pubmed..of heterozygous duplications in the region of the deo operon was studied in conjugational matings (male) HfrH deoC deoD thr::Tn9 thyA x HfrH deoA deoB::Tn5 thyA...
- Munch Petersen A. Deoxyribonucleoside catabolism and thymine incorporation in mutants of Escherichia coli lacking deoxyriboaldolase. Eur J Biochem. 1970;15:191-202 pubmed
- Sukhodolets V, Dukhiĭ D. [Unequal crossing over in Escherichia coli: genetic and physical mapping of duplications isolated in conjugational matings]. Genetika. 1996;32:42-52 pubmedWe previously demonstrated that stable heterozygous duplications deoA deoB :: Tn5/deoC deoD can be isolated among Deo+ recombinants obtained in conjugational matings between Escherichia coli strains HfrH deoA deoB :: Tn5 and HfrH deoC ..
- Valentin Hansen P, Boetius F, Hammer Jespersen K, Svendsen I. The primary structure of Escherichia coli K12 2-deoxyribose 5-phosphate aldolase. Nucleotide sequence of the deoC gene and the amino acid sequence of the enzyme. Eur J Biochem. 1982;125:561-6 pubmedThe sequence of the deoC gene of Escherichia coli K12 and the amino acid sequence of the corresponding protein, deoxyriboaldolase, has been established. The protein consists of 259 amino acids with a molecular weight of 27 737...
- Breitman T, Bradford R. The absence of deoxyriboaldolase activity in a thymineless mutant of Escherichia coli strain 15: a possible explanation for the low thymine requirement of some thymineless strains. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1967;138:217-20 pubmed
- Joloba M, Rather P. Mutations in deoB and deoC alter an extracellular signaling pathway required for activation of the gab operon in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2003;228:151-7 pubmed..This study demonstrates that mutations in deoB and deoC were capable of suppressing the loss of viability in thyA mutants and concomitantly resulted in loss of signal-2 ..
- Barth P, Beacham I, Ahmad S, Pritchard R. The inducer of the deoxynucleoside phosphorylases and deoxyriboaldolase in Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1968;161:554-7 pubmed
- Fischer M, Short S. The cloning of the Escherichia coli K-12 deoxyribonucleoside operon. Gene. 1982;17:291-8 pubmedA 6.1-kb EcoRI DNA fragment containing the four structural genes (deoC, deoA, deoB, deoD) of the deoxyribonucleoside operon has been cloned into the plasmid pMFS53. By use of a unique, asymmetrically positioned HindIII site on the 6...
- Sukhodolets V. [Effect of mutations for the ruvABC genes on recombination between direct DNA repairs in Escherichia coli strains carrying extended tandem duplication]. Genetika. 2002;38:1215-22 pubmed..diploid segregants was studied in Escherichia coli strains carrying heterozygous tandem duplications deoA deoB::Tn5/deoC deoD in the deoCABD operon region, in the genome of mutants for ruvABC genes...
- Valentin Hansen P, Hammer Jespersen K, Buxton R. Evidence for the existence of three promoters for the deo operon of Escherichia coli K12 in vitro. J Mol Biol. 1979;133:1-17 pubmed
- Valentin Hansen P. Tandem CRP binding sites in the deo operon of Escherichia coli K-12. EMBO J. 1982;1:1049-54 pubmed
- Svenningsen B. Regulated in vitro synthesis of the enzymes of the deo operon of Escerichia coli. properties of the DNA directed system. Mol Gen Genet. 1975;137:289-304 pubmed..The sequential appearance of active enzymes has confirmed the direction of transcription as being dra-tpp-drm-pup and has indicated that the four genes are transcribed into a single tetracistronic message.
- Roeder W, Somerville R. Cloning the trpR gene. Mol Gen Genet. 1979;176:361-8 pubmed
- Tucker D, Karouia F, Wang J, Luo Y, Li T, Willson R, et al. Effect of an artificial RNA marker on gene expression in Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005;71:4156-9 pubmed..Only the expression of a single gene, deoC, was unequivocally affected under both conditions. E...
- Søgaard Andersen L, Pedersen H, Holst B, Valentin Hansen P. A novel function of the cAMP-CRP complex in Escherichia coli: cAMP-CRP functions as an adaptor for the CytR repressor in the deo operon. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:969-75 pubmed..The implications of this new version of negative control in E. coli on bacterial gene expression and on combinatorial gene regulation in higher organisms are discussed. ..
- Lacourciere G, Levine R, Stadtman T. Direct detection of potential selenium delivery proteins by using an Escherichia coli strain unable to incorporate selenium from selenite into proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:9150-3 pubmed..A 28-kDa protein identified as deoxyribose phosphate aldolase also contained bound selenium. These (75)Se-labeled proteins may have alternate roles as selenium delivery proteins. ..
- Hammer Jespersen K, Nygaard P. Multiple regulation of nucleoside catabolizing enzymes in Escherichia coli: effects of 3:5' cyclic AMP and CRP protein. Mol Gen Genet. 1976;148:49-55 pubmed..When grown on glucose and casamino acids growth could be stimulated by adenine and hypoxanthine nucleosides; these results suggest an impaired nitrogen metabolism in cya and crp mutants. ..
- Dandanell G, Hammer K. deoP1 promoter and operator mutants in Escherichia coli: isolation and characterization. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:2371-6 pubmed..The deoP1 promotor activity is dependent on a TG motif one base pair upstream of the -10 consensus sequence. The sequence of the deo operator site was further verified by use of a synthetic linker. ..
- Breitman T, Bradford R. Inability of low thymine-requiring mutants of Escherichia coli lacking phosphodeoxyribomutase to be induced for deoxythymidine phosphorylase and deoxyriboaldolase. J Bacteriol. 1968;95:2434-5 pubmed
- Bairoch A, Boeckmann B. The SWISS-PROT protein sequence data bank, recent developments. Nucleic Acids Res. 1993;21:3093-6 pubmed
- Sukhodolets V, Botina S, Trenina M, Ukhabotina L. [Homologous recombination and chromosomal rearrangements in Escherichia coli strains carrying a heterozygous tandem duplication]. Genetika. 2001;37:591-601 pubmed..In this work, an extended tandem duplication in the deo operon of E. coli carrying deoA deoB::Tn5/deoC deoD thr::Tn9 alleles was examined...
- Jennewein S, Schürmann M, Wolberg M, Hilker I, Luiten R, Wubbolts M, et al. Directed evolution of an industrial biocatalyst: 2-deoxy-D-ribose 5-phosphate aldolase. Biotechnol J. 2006;1:537-48 pubmed..By combination of the most beneficial mutations we obtained a tenfold improved variant compared to wild-type DERA with regard to (3R,5S)-6-chloro-2,4,6-trideoxyhexapyranoside synthesis, under industrially relevant conditions. ..
- Valentin Hansen P, Albrechtsen B, Løve Larsen J. DNA-protein recognition: demonstration of three genetically separated operator elements that are required for repression of the Escherichia coli deoCABD promoters by the DeoR repressor. EMBO J. 1986;5:2015-21 pubmed..However, all three sites are needed for full repression. These findings are discussed with respect to upstream and downstream control regions of eukaryotic genes. ..
- Beacham I, Barth P, Pritchard R. Constitutivity of thymidine phosphorylase in deoxyriboaldolase negative strains: dependence on thymine requirement and concentration. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1968;166:589-92 pubmed
- Heine A, DeSantis G, Luz J, Mitchell M, Wong C, Wilson I. Observation of covalent intermediates in an enzyme mechanism at atomic resolution. Science. 2001;294:369-74 pubmed..A proton relay system appears to activate a conserved active-site water that functions as the critical mediator for proton transfer. ..
- Lomax M, Greenberg G. Characteristics of the deo operon: role in thymine utilization and sensitivity to deoxyribonucleosides. J Bacteriol. 1968;96:501-14 pubmed..Growth of deoC mutants, which lack deoxyribose 5-phosphate aldolase, is reversibly inhibited by deoxyribonucleosides through ..
- Sukhodolets V. [Genetic study of the mechanism of tandem duplication formation in conjugational crosses in Escherichia coli K-12]. Genetika. 1997;33:1487-93 pubmed..tandem duplications of the deo operon was studied in conjugational matings HfrH deoA deoB::Tn5 thyA x HfrH deoC deoD thyA...
- Stura E, Ghosh S, Garcia Junceda E, Chen L, Wong C, Wilson I. Crystallization and preliminary crystallographic data for class I deoxyribose-5-phosphate aldolase from Escherichia coli: an application of reverse screening. Proteins. 1995;22:67-72 pubmed..6 A. A new method, reverse screening, designed to minimize protein utilization during the screening process was used to determine supersaturation and crystallization conditions. ..