Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ddlB
Description: D-alanine:D-alanine ligase
Alias: ECK0093, JW0090, ddl
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Lutkenhaus J, Wu H. Determination of transcriptional units and gene products from the ftsA region of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1980;143:1281-8 pubmedLambda transducing phage gamma 16-2 carries the genes envA, ftsZ, ftsA, ddl, and murC and directs the synthesis of six unique proteins in ultraviolet-irradiated cells...
- Fan C, Moews P, Shi Y, Walsh C, Knox J. A common fold for peptide synthetases cleaving ATP to ADP: glutathione synthetase and D-alanine:d-alanine ligase of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:1172-6 pubmed
- Fan C, Park I, Walsh C, Knox J. D-alanine:D-alanine ligase: phosphonate and phosphinate intermediates with wild type and the Y216F mutant. Biochemistry. 1997;36:2531-8 pubmedThe crystallographic structure of the D-alanine:D-alanine ligase of the ddlB gene of Escherichia coli complexed with a D-Ala-D-alpha-hydroxybutyrate phosphonate and the structure of the Y216F mutant ligase complexed with a D-Ala-D-Ala ..
- Robinson A, Kenan D, Sweeney J, Donachie W. Further evidence for overlapping transcriptional units in an Escherichia coli cell envelope-cell division gene cluster: DNA sequence and transcriptional organization of the ddl ftsQ region. J Bacteriol. 1986;167:809-17 pubmedA 1.2-kilobase-pair BamHI fragment from a cell envelope-cell division gene cluster of Escherichia coli containing ddl and part of ftsQ was cloned and sequenced, and the sequence was interpreted with the aid of genetic complementation and ..
- Vicente M, Gomez M, Ayala J. Regulation of transcription of cell division genes in the Escherichia coli dcw cluster. Cell Mol Life Sci. 1998;54:317-24 pubmed
- Pathania R, Zlitni S, Barker C, Das R, Gerritsma D, Lebert J, et al. Chemical genomics in Escherichia coli identifies an inhibitor of bacterial lipoprotein targeting. Nat Chem Biol. 2009;5:849-56 pubmed publisher..We show that MAC13243 inhibits the function of the LolA protein and represents a new chemical probe of lipoprotein targeting in bacteria with promise as an antibacterial lead with Gram-negative selectivity. ..
- Flärdh K, Palacios P, Vicente M. Cell division genes ftsQAZ in Escherichia coli require distant cis-acting signals upstream of ddlB for full expression. Mol Microbiol. 1998;30:305-15 pubmed..The new Phi(ftsZ-lacZ ) fusion yields four times more beta-galactosidase activity than a ddlB-ftsQAZ-lacZ fusion on a lambda prophage vector...
- al Bar O, O Connor C, Giles I, Akhtar M. D-alanine: D-alanine ligase of Escherichia coli. Expression, purification and inhibitory studies on the cloned enzyme. Biochem J. 1992;282 ( Pt 3):747-52 pubmed..3.2.4) gene (ddl) was placed under the control of the lac and lambda PL promoters respectively...
- Hara H, Yasuda S, Horiuchi K, Park J. A promoter for the first nine genes of the Escherichia coli mra cluster of cell division and cell envelope biosynthesis genes, including ftsI and ftsW. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:5802-11 pubmed..Although several potential promoter sequences in this region of the mra cluster have been reported, we conclude that the promoter identified in this study is required for the first nine genes of the cluster to be fully expressed. ..
- Lugtenberg E, v Schijndel van Dam A. Temperature-sensitive mutant of Escherichia coli K-12 with an impaired D-alanine:D-alanine ligase. J Bacteriol. 1973;113:96-104 pubmed..Combined genetic and enzymatic results show that the low ligase activity is due to a mutation in the ddl gene, the structural gene for d-alanine: d-alanine ligase.