Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dctA
Description: C4-dicarboxylic acid, orotate and citrate transporter
Alias: ECK3513, JW3496, out
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Reed J, Patel T, Chen K, Joyce A, Applebee M, Herring C, et al. Systems approach to refining genome annotation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17480-4 pubmed..were verified experimentally in five cases, leading to the functional assignment of eight ORFs (yjjLMN, yeaTU, dctA, idnT, and putP) with two new enzymatic activities and four transport functions...
- Baker K, Ditullio K, Neuhard J, Kelln R. Utilization of orotate as a pyrimidine source by Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli requires the dicarboxylate transport protein encoded by dctA. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:7099-105 pubmed..sequenced and found to possess extensive sequence identity to characterized genes for C4-dicarboxylate transport (dctA) in Rhizobium species and to the sequence inferred to be the dctA gene of Escherichia coli...
- Schellenberg G, Furlong C. Resolution of the multiplicity of the glutamate and aspartate transport systems of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1977;252:9055-64 pubmed
- Lo T. The molecular mechanism of dicarboxylic acid transport in Escherichia coli K 12. J Supramol Struct. 1977;7:463-80 pubmed..A tentative working model on the mechanism of translocation of dicarboxylic acids across the cell envelope by the periplasmic binding protein, and the 2 membrane carrier proteins is presented. ..
- Lo T, Bewick M. The molecular mechanisms of dicarboxylic acid transport in Escherichia coli K12. The role and orientation of the two membrane-bound dicarboxylate binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 1978;253:7826-31 pubmed..we demonstrate, through biochemical analysis of the transport mutants, that the two membrane transport genes, dctA and dctB, are responsible for the two membrane-bound dicarboxylate binding proteins, SBP 2 and SBP 1, respectively...
- Kay W, Kornberg H. Genetic control of the uptake of C(4)-dicarboxylic acids by Escherichia coli. FEBS Lett. 1969;3:93-96 pubmed
- Janausch I, Kim O, Unden G. DctA- and Dcu-independent transport of succinate in Escherichia coli: contribution of diffusion and of alternative carriers. Arch Microbiol. 2001;176:224-30 pubmed..mutants of Escherichia coli deficient in the C(4)-dicarboxylate carriers of aerobic and anaerobic metabolism (DctA, DcuA, DcuB, DcuC, and the DcuC homolog DcuD, or the citrate/succinate antiporter CitT) showed only poor growth on ..
- Gosset G, Zhang Z, Nayyar S, Cuevas W, Saier M. Transcriptome analysis of Crp-dependent catabolite control of gene expression in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:3516-24 pubmed..The results serve to define and extend our appreciation of the Crp regulon. ..
- Hua Q, Yang C, Oshima T, Mori H, Shimizu K. Analysis of gene expression in Escherichia coli in response to changes of growth-limiting nutrient in chemostat cultures. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2004;70:2354-66 pubmed..Independent of the growth rate, 92 genes were identified as being differentially expressed. Genes tightly related to the culture conditions were highlighted, some of which may be used to characterize nutrient-limited growth. ..
- Lo T, Sanwal B. Membrane bound substrate recognition components of the dicarboxylate transport system in Escherichia coli. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1975;63:278-85 pubmed
- Lo T, Rayman M, Sanwal B. Transport of succinate in Escherichia coli. I. Biochemical and genetic studies of transport in whole cells. J Biol Chem. 1972;247:6323-31 pubmed
- Reizer J, Reizer A, Saier M. A functional superfamily of sodium/solute symporters. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1994;1197:133-66 pubmed..This study serves to clarify structural, functional and evolutionary relationships among eleven distinct families of functionally related transport proteins. ..
- Monzel C, Degreif Dünnwald P, Gröpper C, Griesinger C, Unden G. The cytoplasmic PASC domain of the sensor kinase DcuS of Escherichia coli: role in signal transduction, dimer formation, and DctA interaction. Microbiologyopen. 2013;2:912-27 pubmed publisher..PASC is also required for interaction with the transporter DctA serving as a cosensor of DcuS...
- Gutowski S, Rosenberg H. Succinate uptake and related proton movements in Escherichia coli K12. Biochem J. 1975;152:647-54 pubmed..9. These results are consistent with, though they do not definitely prove, the energization of succinate uptake of the deltapH. ..
- Steinmetz P, Wörner S, Unden G. Differentiation of DctA and DcuS function in the DctA/DcuS sensor complex of Escherichia coli: function of DctA as an activity switch and of DcuS as the C4-dicarboxylate sensor. Mol Microbiol. 2014;94:218-29 pubmed publisher..responsiveness of the sensor kinase DcuS is only provided in concert with C4-dicarboxylate transporters DctA or DcuB. The individual roles of DctA and DcuS for the function of the DctA/DcuS sensor complex were analysed...
- Phadtare S, Inouye M. Genome-wide transcriptional analysis of the cold shock response in wild-type and cold-sensitive, quadruple-csp-deletion strains of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:7007-14 pubmed..Relevance of these findings with respect to the known RNA chaperone function of CspA homologues is discussed. ..
- Abo Amer A, Munn J, Jackson K, Aktas M, Golby P, Kelly D, et al. DNA interaction and phosphotransfer of the C4-dicarboxylate-responsive DcuS-DcuR two-component regulatory system from Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:1879-89 pubmed..DcuR specifically bound to the promoters of the three known DcuSR-regulated genes (dctA, dcuB, and frdA), with apparent K(D)s of 6 to 32 micro M for untreated DcuR and < or =1 to 2 microM for the ..
- Wang Y, Kolb A, Buck M, Wen J, O Gara F, Buc H. CRP interacts with promoter-bound sigma54 RNA polymerase and blocks transcriptional activation of the dctA promoter. EMBO J. 1998;17:786-96 pubmed..The cAMP receptor protein (CRP) is an activator of sigma70-dependent transcription. Analysis of the sigma54-dependent dctA promoter reveals a novel negative regulatory function for CRP...
- Goh E, Bledsoe P, Chen L, Gyaneshwar P, Stewart V, Igo M. Hierarchical control of anaerobic gene expression in Escherichia coli K-12: the nitrate-responsive NarX-NarL regulatory system represses synthesis of the fumarate-responsive DcuS-DcuR regulatory system. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:4890-9 pubmed..The overall results are consistent with the hypothesis that nitrate represses frdA operon transcription not only directly, by repressing frdA promoter activity, but also indirectly, by repressing dcuS promoter activity. ..
- Boogerd F, Boe L, Michelsen O, Jensen P. atp Mutants of Escherichia coli fail to grow on succinate due to a transport deficiency. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:5855-9 pubmed..Indeed, when the E. coli C4-dicarboxylate transporter (encoded by the dctA gene) was expressed in trans, the Suc- phenotype of the atp deletion strain reverted to Suc+, which shows that the ..