Gene Symbol: cysN
Description: sulfate adenylyltransferase, subunit 1
Alias: ECK2746, JW2721
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Sun M, Leyh T. Anatomy of an energy-coupling mechanism--the interlocking catalytic cycles of the ATP sulfurylase-GTPase system. Biochemistry. 2005;44:13941-8 pubmed..Release rate constants are determined for each product and used to construct a quantitative model of the mechanism that accurately predicts the behavior of this complex system. ..
- Leyh T, Vogt T, Suo Y. The DNA sequence of the sulfate activation locus from Escherichia coli K-12. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:10405-10 pubmed..The sequence includes the structural genes encoding the enzymes ATP sulfurylase (cysD and cysN) and APS kinase (cysC) which catalyze the synthesis of activated sulfate...
- Pilloff D, Leyh T. Allosteric and catalytic functions of the PPi-binding motif in the ATP sulfurylase-GTPase system. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:50435-41 pubmed
- Liu C, Suo Y, Leyh T. The energetic linkage of GTP hydrolysis and the synthesis of activated sulfate. Biochemistry. 1994;33:7309-14 pubmed..These findings establish the mechanism of energy transfer in this novel GTPase/target system, and substantially alter our understanding of the energetics of sulfate activation, an essential step in the metabolic assimilation of sulfur. ..
- Wang R, Liu C, Leyh T. Allosteric regulation of the ATP sulfurylase associated GTPase. Biochemistry. 1995;34:490-5 pubmed..These studies provide an in-depth view of the energetic interactions between the two active sites at each step of the APS-forming reaction. ..
- Liu C, Wang R, Varlamova O, Leyh T. Regulating energy transfer in the ATP sulfurylase-GTPase system. Biochemistry. 1998;37:3886-92 pubmed..This versatile linkage might well be used to the cell's advantage to avoid the toxicity associated with an excess of activated sulfate. ..
- Wei J, Tang Q, Varlamova O, Roche C, Lee R, Leyh T. Cysteine biosynthetic enzymes are the pieces of a metabolic energy pump. Biochemistry. 2002;41:8493-8 pubmed..These findings integrate cysteine metabolism and broaden our understanding of the ways in which higher order allostery is used to effect free energy transfer. ..
- Malo M, Loughlin R. Promoter elements and regulation of expression of the cysD gene of Escherichia coli K-12. Gene. 1990;87:127-31 pubmed..Evidence is presented for a possible CysB protein binding site around -89, thought to be involved in regulation of expression of the cysD gene. ..