Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cusB
Description: copper/silver efflux system, membrane fusion protein
Alias: ECK0566, JW0563, silB, ylcD
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Bagai I, Rensing C, Blackburn N, McEvoy M. Direct metal transfer between periplasmic proteins identifies a bacterial copper chaperone. Biochemistry. 2008;47:11408-14 pubmed publisher..Using isothermal titration calorimetry, we have demonstrated that two periplasmic proteins, CusF and CusB, of the Escherichia coli Cu(I)/Ag(I) efflux system undergo a metal-dependent interaction...
- Xue Y, Davis A, Balakrishnan G, Stasser J, Staehlin B, Focia P, et al. Cu(I) recognition via cation-pi and methionine interactions in CusF. Nat Chem Biol. 2008;4:107-9 pubmed..This novel active site chemistry affords mechanisms for control of adventitious metal redox and substitution chemistry. ..
- Astashkin A, Raitsimring A, Walker F, Rensing C, McEvoy M. Characterization of the copper(II) binding site in the pink copper binding protein CusF by electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2005;10:221-30 pubmed..Apart from the two nitrogen ligands, it has been established that there are two nearby hydroxyl protons, although whether these belong to a single equatorial water ligand or two equatorial hydroxide ligands is not known. ..
- Meir A, Abdelhai A, Moskovitz Y, Ruthstein S. EPR Spectroscopy Targets Structural Changes in the E. coli Membrane Fusion CusB upon Cu(I) Binding. Biophys J. 2017;112:2494-2502 pubmed publisher..for transferring Cu(I) and Ag(I) ions; this system, located in the periplasm, involves four proteins, CusA, CusB, CusC, and CusF...
- Su C, Yang F, Long F, Reyon D, Routh M, Kuo D, et al. Crystal structure of the membrane fusion protein CusB from Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 2009;393:342-55 pubmed publisher..We here present the x-ray structures of the CusB MFP from the copper/silver efflux system of E. coli...
- Loftin I, Franke S, Blackburn N, McEvoy M. Unusual Cu(I)/Ag(I) coordination of Escherichia coli CusF as revealed by atomic resolution crystallography and X-ray absorption spectroscopy. Protein Sci. 2007;16:2287-93 pubmed..The arrangement of ligands effectively sequesters the metal from its periplasmic environment and thus may play a role in protecting the cell from the toxic ion. ..
- Bagai I, Liu W, Rensing C, Blackburn N, McEvoy M. Substrate-linked conformational change in the periplasmic component of a Cu(I)/Ag(I) efflux system. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:35695-702 pubmed..We show here that the periplasmic protein CusB from the Cus copper/silver efflux system has a critical role in Cu(I) and Ag(I) binding...
- Nies D. Efflux-mediated heavy metal resistance in prokaryotes. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2003;27:313-39 pubmed..Possession of the latter systems makes a bacterium heavy metal resistant. ..
- Munson G, Lam D, Outten F, O Halloran T. Identification of a copper-responsive two-component system on the chromosome of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:5864-71 pubmed..Furthermore, the translation products of cusC and additional downstream genes are homologous to known metal ion antiporters. ..
- Hirakawa H, Inazumi Y, Masaki T, Hirata T, Yamaguchi A. Indole induces the expression of multidrug exporter genes in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2005;55:1113-26 pubmed..exporter genes, and found that indole induces a variety of xenobiotic exporter genes including acrD, acrE, cusB, emrK, mdtA, mdtE and yceL. Indole treatment of E...
- Franke S, Grass G, Rensing C, Nies D. Molecular analysis of the copper-transporting efflux system CusCFBA of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:3804-12 pubmed..CusA and CusB were essential for copper resistance, and CusC and CusF were required for full resistance...
- Murakami S, Nakashima R, Yamashita E, Yamaguchi A. Crystal structure of bacterial multidrug efflux transporter AcrB. Nature. 2002;419:587-93 pubmed
- Li X, Nikaido H, Williams K. Silver-resistant mutants of Escherichia coli display active efflux of Ag+ and are deficient in porins. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:6127-32 pubmed..The results suggest that active efflux, presumably coded by a chromosomal gene(s), may play a major role in silver resistance, which is likely to be enhanced synergistically by decreases in OM permeability. ..
- Macomber L, Rensing C, Imlay J. Intracellular copper does not catalyze the formation of oxidative DNA damage in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:1616-26 pubmed..These observations do not explain how copper suppresses iron-mediated damage. However, it is clear that copper does not catalyze significant oxidative DNA damage in vivo; therefore, copper toxicity must occur by a different mechanism. ..
- Stroebel D, Sendra V, Cannella D, Helbig K, Nies D, Coves J. Oligomeric behavior of the RND transporters CusA and AcrB in micellar solution of detergent. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1768:1567-73 pubmed..This pseudo-heterogeneity does not hamper the crystallization of AcrB as a homotrimer. ..
- Loftin I, Franke S, Roberts S, Weichsel A, Heroux A, Montfort W, et al. A novel copper-binding fold for the periplasmic copper resistance protein CusF. Biochemistry. 2005;44:10533-40 pubmed..The unique structure and metal binding site of CusF are distinct from those of previously characterized copper-binding proteins. ..
- Gupta A, Phung L, Taylor D, Silver S. Diversity of silver resistance genes in IncH incompatibility group plasmids. Microbiology. 2001;147:3393-402 pubmed publisher..The silA homologue knockout was complemented back to wild-type resistance by the same gene cloned on a plasmid. Homologues of sil genes have also been identified on other enterobacterial genomes...
- Bleuel C, Grosse C, Taudte N, Scherer J, Wesenberg D, Krauss G, et al. TolC is involved in enterobactin efflux across the outer membrane of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:6701-7 pubmed..However, iron starvation led to increased expression of the RND gene mdtF and a decrease in acrD. ..
- Lok C, Ho C, Chen R, Tam P, Chiu J, Che C. Proteomic identification of the Cus system as a major determinant of constitutive Escherichia coli silver resistance of chromosomal origin. J Proteome Res. 2008;7:2351-6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the chromosomally encoded Cus system, which naturally controls the periplasmic copper concentrations, is selectable to confer a constitutive silver resistance phenotype. ..
- Grass G, Rensing C. Genes involved in copper homeostasis in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:2145-7 pubmed..In this report, data are presented that support a hypothesis that the putative multicopper oxidase CueO and the transenvelope transporter CusCFBA are involved in copper tolerance in E. coli. ..