Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: crl
Description: sigma factor-binding protein, stimulates RNA polymerase holoenzyme formation
Alias: ECK0241, JW0230
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Weiss Muszkat M, Shakh D, Zhou Y, Pinto R, Belausov E, Chapman M, et al. Biofilm formation by and multicellular behavior of Escherichia coli O55:H7, an atypical enteropathogenic strain. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:1545-54 pubmed publisher..in the csgFG genes, required for assembly and secretion of curli fimbriae, while a second mutant had a mutation in crl, a thermosensitive global regulator that modulates sigma(S) activity and downstream expression of curli and ..
- Typas A, Barembruch C, Possling A, Hengge R. Stationary phase reorganisation of the Escherichia coli transcription machinery by Crl protein, a fine-tuner of sigmas activity and levels. EMBO J. 2007;26:1569-78 pubmed..Here we report that during stationary phase, the unorthodox Crl regulator supports a specific sigma factor, sigma(S) (RpoS), in its competition with sigma(70) for core RNAP by ..
- Pesavento C, Becker G, Sommerfeldt N, Possling A, Tschowri N, Mehlis A, et al. Inverse regulatory coordination of motility and curli-mediated adhesion in Escherichia coli. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2434-46 pubmed publisher..In summary, these data reveal the logic and sequence of molecular events underlying the motile-to-adhesive "lifestyle" switch in E. coli...
- Banta A, Chumanov R, Yuan A, Lin H, Campbell E, Burgess R, et al. Key features of ?S required for specific recognition by Crl, a transcription factor promoting assembly of RNA polymerase holoenzyme. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:15955-60 pubmed publisher..In Escherichia coli and other ?-proteobacteria, the transcription factor Crl stimulates ?(S)-dependent transcription during times of cellular stress by promoting the association of ?(S) with ..
- Arnqvist A, Olsen A, Pfeifer J, Russell D, Normark S. The Crl protein activates cryptic genes for curli formation and fibronectin binding in Escherichia coli HB101. Mol Microbiol. 1992;6:2443-52 pubmed..cryptic curlin subunit gene, csgA, in HB101 is transcriptionally activated by expressing the cytoplasmic Crl on a multicopy plasmid...
- Freddolino P, Amini S, Tavazoie S. Newly identified genetic variations in common Escherichia coli MG1655 stock cultures. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:303-6 pubmed publisher..The mutations are likely to cause loss of function of the glpR and crl genes, which may have serious implications for physiological experiments using the affected strains.
- Provence D, Curtiss R. Role of crl in avian pathogenic Escherichia coli: a knockout mutation of crl does not affect hemagglutination activity, fibronectin binding, or Curli production. Infect Immun. 1992;60:4460-7 pubmedThis study determined the role of crl in the production of curli by, the hemagglutination activity of, and fibronectin binding by avian pathogenic Escherichia coli chi 7122...
- Gaal T, Mandel M, Silhavy T, Gourse R. Crl facilitates RNA polymerase holoenzyme formation. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:7966-70 pubmedThe Escherichia coli Crl protein has been described as a transcriptional coactivator for the stationary-phase sigma factor sigma(S)...
- Henrich B, Plapp R. Locations of the genes from pepD through proA on the physical map of the Escherichia coli chromosome. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:7407-8 pubmed