Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: chpB
Description: toxin of the ChpB-ChpS toxin-antitoxin system
Alias: ECK4221, JW4184, chpBK, yjfE
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Tsilibaris V, Maenhaut Michel G, Mine N, Van Melderen L. What is the benefit to Escherichia coli of having multiple toxin-antitoxin systems in its genome?. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:6101-8 pubmed..This casts a doubt on whether TA systems significantly influence bacterial fitness and competitiveness during non-steady-state growth conditions. ..
- Yamaguchi Y, Inouye M. mRNA interferases, sequence-specific endoribonucleases from the toxin-antitoxin systems. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2009;85:467-500 pubmed publisher..We propose that mRNA interferases play roles not only in cell growth regulation and programmed cell death, but also in regulation of specific gene expression (either positively or negatively) in bacteria. ..
- Kolodkin Gal I, Verdiger R, Shlosberg Fedida A, Engelberg Kulka H. A differential effect of E. coli toxin-antitoxin systems on cell death in liquid media and biofilm formation. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6785 pubmed publisher..Cell death governed by mazEF and dinJ-YafQ seems to participate in biofilm formation through a novel mechanism. ..
- Lahti R, Pitkäranta T, Valve E, Ilta I, Kukko Kalske E, Heinonen J. Cloning and characterization of the gene encoding inorganic pyrophosphatase of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:5901-7 pubmed..coli PPase determined by S. A. Cohen (Ph.D. thesis, University of Chicago, 1978) was the same as that deduced from the nucleotide sequence. This is the first report of the cloning of a PPase gene. ..
- Christensen S, Pedersen K, Hansen F, Gerdes K. Toxin-antitoxin loci as stress-response-elements: ChpAK/MazF and ChpBK cleave translated RNAs and are counteracted by tmRNA. J Mol Biol. 2003;332:809-19 pubmed..here yield a mechanistic explanation for the detrimental effect on cell growth exerted by ChpAK and the homologous ChpBK protein of E.coli. We show that both proteins inhibit translation by inducing cleavage of translated mRNAs...