Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: bglB
Description: cryptic phospho-beta-glucosidase B
Alias: ECK3714, JW3699
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Bramley H, Kornberg H. Nucleotide sequence of bglC, the gene specifying enzymeIIbgl of the PEP:sugar phosphotransferase system in Escherichia coli K12, and overexpression of the gene product. J Gen Microbiol. 1987;133:563-73 pubmed..C, S, B, is incorrect, and that the regulatory gene bglS may be located upstream of the structural genes bglC and bglB. From the deduced amino acid sequence it is predicted that the membrane protein specified by bglC consists of 625 ..
- Schaefler S. Inducible system for the utilization of beta-glucosides in Escherichia coli. I. Active transport and utilization of beta-glucosides. J Bacteriol. 1967;93:254-63 pubmed..The induction lag and competition do not exist in GP(-) beta-gl(+) strains. It is assumed that phosphorylated alkyl and thioalkyl beta-glucosides inhibit the induction, and that this inhibition is responsible for the induction lag. ..
- Reynolds A, Felton J, Wright A. Insertion of DNA activates the cryptic bgl operon in E. coli K12. Nature. 1981;293:625-9 pubmed
- Gulati A, Mahadevan S. Mechanism of catabolite repression in the bgl operon of Escherichia coli: involvement of the anti-terminator BglG, CRP-cAMP and EIIAGlc in mediating glucose effect downstream of transcription initiation. Genes Cells. 2000;5:239-50 pubmed..The CRP-cAMP complex is also involved in this regulation. The results using the crr mutant suggest a negative role for EIIAGlc in the catabolite repression of the bgl genes. ..
- Schnetz K, Toloczyki C, Rak B. Beta-glucoside (bgl) operon of Escherichia coli K-12: nucleotide sequence, genetic organization, and possible evolutionary relationship to regulatory components of two Bacillus subtilis genes. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:2579-90 pubmed..We have defined the extent and location of three structural genes, bglC, bglS, and bglB, and have determined their DNA sequence...
- Schnetz K, Rak B. Beta-glucoside permease represses the bgl operon of Escherichia coli by phosphorylation of the antiterminator protein and also interacts with glucose-specific enzyme III, the key element in catabolite control. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:5074-8 pubmed..In the absence of both sugars, when the catabolite-controlled promoter of the operon is derepressed, enzyme IIIGlc may mediate tight repression of antitermination. ..
- Fox C, Wilson G. The role of a phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent kinase system in beta-glucoside catabolism in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1968;59:988-95 pubmed
- Prasad I, Young B, Schaefler S. Genetic determination of the constitutive biosynthesis of phospho- -glucosidase A in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1973;114:909-15 pubmed..The bglE locus appears to have a regulatory effect on the expression of the bglD gene. ..
- Ohta T, Ueguchi C, Mizuno T. rpoS function is essential for bgl silencing caused by C-terminally truncated H-NS in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:6278-83 pubmed..We also examined whether the H-NS homolog StpA has such an adapter function, as was previously proposed. Our results did not support the idea that StpA has an adapter function in the genetic background used. ..
- Raghunand T, Mahadevan S. The beta-glucoside genes of Klebsiella aerogenes: conservation and divergence in relation to the cryptic bgl genes of Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2003;223:267-74 pubmed..The Klebsiella equivalents of bglG, bglB and bglR have been cloned using the genome sequence database of Klebsiella pneumoniae...