Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: araF
Description: L-arabinose ABC transporter periplasmic binding protein
Alias: ECK1899, JW1889
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Newcomer M, Gilliland G, Quiocho F. L-Arabinose-binding protein-sugar complex at 2.4 A resolution. Stereochemistry and evidence for a structural change. J Biol Chem. 1981;256:13213-7 pubmed..Protein structural change accompanying binding is indicated by the inaccessibility of the bound L-arabinose to the aqueous environment. ..
- Kolodrubetz D, Schleif R. Regulation of the L-arabinose transport operons in Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1981;151:215-27 pubmed
- Horazdovsky B, Hogg R. Genetic reconstitution of the high-affinity L-arabinose transport system. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:3053-9 pubmed..Therefore, L-arabinose-binding protein-mediated transport appears to require only two inducible membrane-associated components (araG and araH) in addition to the binding protein (araF).
- Kosiba B, Schleif R. Arabinose-inducible promoter from Escherichia coli. Its cloning from chromosomal DNA, identification as the araFG promoter and sequence. J Mol Biol. 1982;156:53-66 pubmed
- Daruwalla K, Paxton A, Henderson P. Energization of the transport systems for arabinose and comparison with galactose transport in Escherichia coli. Biochem J. 1981;200:611-27 pubmed1. Strains of Escherichia coli were obtained containing either the AraE or the AraF transport system for arabinose...
- Kolodrubetz D, Schleif R. L-arabinose transport systems in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1981;148:472-9 pubmed..5 min) and closer to lysA. The operon of the high-affinity transport system was found to contain two genes: araF, which codes for the arabinose-binding protein, and a new gene, araG...
- Hendrickson W, Rudd K. Physical map location of the argFGH operon of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:3836-7 pubmed
- Hogg R. L-Arabinose transport and the L-arabinose binding protein of Escherichia coli. J Supramol Struct. 1977;6:411-7 pubmed..The other, specified in part by the genetic locus araF, contains as a functional component the L-arabinose binding protein and functions with a "high affinity" ..
- MacRaild C, Daranas A, Bronowska A, Homans S. Global changes in local protein dynamics reduce the entropic cost of carbohydrate binding in the arabinose-binding protein. J Mol Biol. 2007;368:822-32 pubmed..These results suggest that the structure and dynamics of ABP may be adapted to exploit dynamic changes to reduce the entropic costs of binding. ..
- Quiocho F, Gilliland G, Phillips G. The 2.8-A resolution structure of the L-arabinose-binding protein from Escherichia coli. Polypeptide chain folding, domain similarity, and probable location of sugar-binding site. J Biol Chem. 1977;252:5142-9 pubmed
- Scripture J, Hogg R. The nucleotide sequences defining the signal peptides of the galactose-binding protein and the arabinose-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 1983;258:10853-5 pubmedThe nucleotide sequences of the NH2-terminal regions of the mglB (galactose-binding protein) and the araF (arabinose-binding protein) genes have been determined...
- Khlebnikov A, Risa O, Skaug T, Carrier T, Keasling J. Regulatable arabinose-inducible gene expression system with consistent control in all cells of a culture. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:7029-34 pubmed..This work demonstrates the importance of including a transport gene that is controlled independently of the inducer to achieve regulatable and consistent induction in all cells of the culture. ..
- Hogg R, Hermodson M. Amino acid sequence of the L-arabinose-binding protein from Escherichia coli B/r. J Biol Chem. 1977;252:5135-41 pubmed..The COOH-terminal sequence was determined using bovine carboxypeptidases A and B and amino acid analyses. The L-arabinose-binding protein was determined to contain 306 amino acid residues, the sequence of which is presented below. ..
- Schreier B, Stumpp C, Wiesner S, Höcker B. Computational design of ligand binding is not a solved problem. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:18491-6 pubmed publisher..Hence, the computational design of ligand binding is not a solved problem and needs to be revisited. ..
- Brown C, Hogg R. A second transport system for L-arabinose in Escherichia coli B-r controlled by the araC gene. J Bacteriol. 1972;111:606-13 pubmed..These observations support a role for the binding protein in l-arabinose uptake. ..
- Scripture J, Voelker C, Miller S, O Donnell R, Polgar L, Rade J, et al. High-affinity L-arabinose transport operon. Nucleotide sequence and analysis of gene products. J Mol Biol. 1987;197:37-46 pubmed..operon has been determined 3' from the regulatory region and found to contain three open reading frames designated araF, araG and araH...
- Hendrickson W, Stoner C, Schleif R. Characterization of the Escherichia coli araFGH and araJ promoters. J Mol Biol. 1990;215:497-510 pubmed..Two CRP sites were observed; one is upstream from the AraC site and one is downstream from the transcription start site. ..
- Jojima T, Omumasaba C, Inui M, Yukawa H. Sugar transporters in efficient utilization of mixed sugar substrates: current knowledge and outlook. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2010;85:471-80 pubmed publisher..Subsequently, we review and discuss recent studies on engineering of sugar transport as a driving force for efficient bioconversion of sugar mixtures derived from lignocellulose. ..