Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: araB
Alias: ECK0064, JW0062
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Haldimann A, Daniels L, Wanner B. Use of new methods for construction of tightly regulated arabinose and rhamnose promoter fusions in studies of the Escherichia coli phosphate regulon. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1277-86 pubmed..and PhoR synthesis from their normal controls by placing each under the tight control of the arabinose-regulated P(araB) promoter or the rhamnose-regulated P(rhaB) promoter...
- Lee N, Bendet I. Crystalline L-ribulokinase from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1967;242:2043-50 pubmed
- Rosen H, Lewis P, Nitzel C. Neutrophil microbicidal activity: screening bacterial mutants for survival after phagocytosis using quantitative PCR. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2004;57:S19-21 pubmed..describe Escherichia coli survival following neutrophil phagocytosis among three mutants deleted respectively for araB, dps or oxyR...
- Lee N, Gielow W, Wallace R. Mechanism of araC autoregulation and the domains of two overlapping promoters, Pc and PBAD, in the L-arabinose regulatory region of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1981;78:752-6 pubmed..An earlier model proposed by Ogden et al. [Ogden S., Haggerty, D., Stoner, C. M., Kolodrubetz, D. & Schleif, R. (1980) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci, USA 77, 3346-3350] is discussed in the light of the data presented in this paper. ..
- Schleif R, Greenblatt J, Davis R. Dual control of arabinose genes on transducing phage lambda-dara. J Mol Biol. 1971;59:127-50 pubmed
- Lee D, Schleif R. In vivo DNA loops in araCBAD: size limits and helical repeat. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:476-80 pubmed..As the spacing between araI and araO2 varied, the activity of PBAD oscillated with an 11.1-base-pair periodicity, implying that the in vivo helical repeat of this DNA is 11.1 base pairs per turn. ..
- Lee N, Carbon J. Nucleotide sequence of the 5' end of araBAD operon messenger RNA in Escherichia coli B/r. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1977;74:49-53 pubmed..combined with the knowledge of the NH2-terminal sequence of the product of the first cistron (L-ribulokinase gene araB), establish the nucleotide sequence of the first 69 bases at the 5' end of the araBAD operon mRNA...
- Johnson C, Schleif R. In vivo induction kinetics of the arabinose promoters in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:3438-42 pubmed..5, 5, and 1, respectively. These results provide a basis for subsequent studies to determine the mechanism(s) by which AraC protein activates transcription from the different arabinose promoters. ..
- Ebright R, Beckwith J. The catabolite gene activator protein (CAP) is not required for indole-3-acetic acid to activate transcription of the araBAD operon of Escherichia coli K-12. Mol Gen Genet. 1985;201:51-5 pubmed..However, contrary to the results of Kline et al., we find that the action of IAA does not require CAP. Thus, IAA fully stimulates the transcription of araBAD in a strain which bears a complete deletion of the crp gene. ..
- Lee D, Huo L, Schleif R. Repression of the araBAD promoter from araO1. J Mol Biol. 1992;224:335-41 pubmed
- Casadaban M. Fusion of the Escherichia coli lac genes to the ara promoter: a general technique using bacteriophage Mu-1 insertions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1975;72:809-13 pubmed..These fusions extend the techniques available for studies on the lac operon to studies on the ara operon. It should be possible to fuse other operons by this method. ..
- Katz L. Selection of araB and araC mutants of Escherichia coli B-r by resistance to ribitol. J Bacteriol. 1970;102:593-5 pubmed..Isolation of strains resistant to ribitol yields mutants of either the araB or araC genes. A model to account for the inhibition by ribitol is discussed.
- Lee N, Patrick J, Barnes N. Subunit structure of L-ribulokinase from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1970;245:1357-61 pubmed
- Dunn T, Schleif R. Deletion analysis of the Escherichia coli ara PC and PBAD promoters. J Mol Biol. 1984;180:201-4 pubmed..Similarly, deletions entering this site from the PBAD side reduced activity of the PC promoter. Cyclic AMP receptor protein bound at this site apparently functions to stimulate transcription of both flanking promoters. ..
- Miyada C, Soberon X, Itakura K, Wilcox G. The use of synthetic oligodeoxyribonucleotides to produce specific deletions in the araBAD promoter of Escherichia coli B/r. Gene. 1982;17:167-77 pubmed..Transcription studies performed on strains containing the mutant ara plasmids demonstrated that both mutations reduced the amount of araBA mRNA synthesized in the presence of L-arabinose. ..
- Guzman L, Belin D, Carson M, Beckwith J. Tight regulation, modulation, and high-level expression by vectors containing the arabinose PBAD promoter. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:4121-30 pubmed..We have exploited the tight regulation of the PBAD promoter to study the phenotypes of null mutations of essential genes and explored the use of pBAD vectors as an expression system. ..
- Reeder T, Schleif R. Mapping, sequence, and apparent lack of function of araJ, a gene of the Escherichia coli arabinose regulon. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:7765-71 pubmed..S. Naom, S. J. Morton, D. R. F. Leach, and R. G. Lloyd, Nucleic Acids Res. 17:8033-8044, 1989). The carboxyl region of SbcC has an amino acid sequence consistent with this region of SbcC forming an extended alpha-helical coiled-coil. ..
- Smith B, Schleif R. Nucleotide sequence of the L-arabinose regulatory region of Escherichia coli K12. J Biol Chem. 1978;253:6931-3 pubmed..This segment includes the promoter for rightward araBAD transcription, pBAD, the promoter for leftward araC transcription, pC, and sites responsible for repression. ..
- Ibanez E, Gimenez R, Pedraza T, Baldoma L, Aguilar J, Badia J. Role of the yiaR and yiaS genes of Escherichia coli in metabolism of endogenously formed L-xylulose. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:4625-7 pubmed..Similarity of YiaR to several 3-epimerases suggested that this protein could catalyze the conversion of L-xylulose-5-phosphate into L-ribulose-5-phosphate, thus completing the pathway between L-xylulose and the general metabolism. ..