Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: amiB
Description: N-acetylmuramoyl-l-alanine amidase II
Alias: ECK4165, JW4127, yjeD
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Beck B, Park J. Activity of three murein hydrolases during the cell division cycle of Escherichia coli K-12 as measured in toluene-treated cells. J Bacteriol. 1976;126:1250-60 pubmed
- Tsui H, Winkler M. Transcriptional patterns of the mutL-miaA superoperon of Escherichia coli K-12 suggest a model for posttranscriptional regulation. Biochimie. 1994;76:1168-77 pubmedThe complex amiB-mutL-miaA-hfq-hflX-hflK-hflC superoperon of E coli contains important genes for several fundamental cellular processes, including cell-wall hydrolysis (amiB), DNA repair (mutL), tRNA modification (miaA) and proteolysis (..
- Tsui H, Leung H, Winkler M. Characterization of broadly pleiotropic phenotypes caused by an hfq insertion mutation in Escherichia coli K-12. Mol Microbiol. 1994;13:35-49 pubmed..Together, these results show that hfq function plays a fundamental role in Escherichia coli physiology and that hfq and the hflA-region are in the amiB-mutL-miaA-hfq-hflX superoperon.
- Tsui H, Feng G, Winkler M. Transcription of the mutL repair, miaA tRNA modification, hfq pleiotropic regulator, and hflA region protease genes of Escherichia coli K-12 from clustered Esigma32-specific promoters during heat shock. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:5719-31 pubmedThe amiB-mutL-miaA-hfq-hflX-hflK-hflC superoperon of Escherichia coli contains genes that are important for diverse cellular functions, including DNA mismatch repair (mutL), tRNA modification (miaA), pleiotropic regulation (hfq), and ..
- Heidrich C, Templin M, Ursinus A, Merdanovic M, Berger J, Schwarz H, et al. Involvement of N-acetylmuramyl-L-alanine amidases in cell separation and antibiotic-induced autolysis of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2001;41:167-78 pubmed..As amidase deletion mutants accumulate trimeric and tetrameric cross-links in their murein, it is suggested that these structures mark the division site before cleavage of the septum. ..
- Bernhardt T, de Boer P. The Escherichia coli amidase AmiC is a periplasmic septal ring component exported via the twin-arginine transport pathway. Mol Microbiol. 2003;48:1171-82 pubmed..AmiC therefore replaces FtsN as the latest known recruit to the septal ring and is the first entirely periplasmic component to be localized. ..
- Ize B, Stanley N, Buchanan G, Palmer T. Role of the Escherichia coli Tat pathway in outer membrane integrity. Mol Microbiol. 2003;48:1183-93 pubmed..This outer membrane repair of the tat mutant arises as a result of upregulation of the amiB gene, which encodes a cell wall amidase...
- Sikdar R, Doerrler W. Inefficient Tat-dependent export of periplasmic amidases in an Escherichia coli strain with mutations in two DedA family genes. J Bacteriol. 2010;192:807-18 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of AmiA, AmiC, or AmiB, a periplasmic amidase secreted via the general secretory pathway, restores normal cell division but does not ..
- Yang D, Tan K, Joachimiak A, Bernhardt T. A conformational switch controls cell wall-remodelling enzymes required for bacterial cell division. Mol Microbiol. 2012;85:768-81 pubmed publisher..Here we investigate the control of cell division hydrolases called amidases (AmiA, AmiB and AmiC) required for Escherichia coli cell division...
- Tsui H, Mandavilli B, Winkler M. Nonconserved segment of the MutL protein from Escherichia coli K-12 and Salmonella typhimurium. Nucleic Acids Res. 1992;20:2379 pubmed
- Tsui H, Zhao G, Feng G, Leung H, Winkler M. The mutL repair gene of Escherichia coli K-12 forms a superoperon with a gene encoding a new cell-wall amidase. Mol Microbiol. 1994;11:189-202 pubmed..Insertions in this upstream gene, which we named amiB, or in mutL did not affect cell shape or viability; however, overexpression of the AmiB polypeptide caused cell ..
- Kitagawa R, Mitsuki H, Okazaki T, Ogawa T. A novel DnaA protein-binding site at 94.7 min on the Escherichia coli chromosome. Mol Microbiol. 1996;19:1137-47 pubmed..is a DNA sequence which has unusually high affinity for the DnaA protein of Escherichia coli between the glyV and amiB-mutL operons at 94.7 min on the genetic map...
- Priyadarshini R, de Pedro M, Young K. Role of peptidoglycan amidases in the development and morphology of the division septum in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:5334-47 pubmed
- Uehara T, Dinh T, Bernhardt T. LytM-domain factors are required for daughter cell separation and rapid ampicillin-induced lysis in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:5094-107 pubmed publisher..factors bear a striking resemblance to those of mutants defective for the N-acetylmuramyl-l-alanine amidases: AmiA, AmiB, and AmiC. E...
- Peters N, Dinh T, Bernhardt T. A fail-safe mechanism in the septal ring assembly pathway generated by the sequential recruitment of cell separation amidases and their activators. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:4973-83 pubmed publisher..Septal PG splitting is mediated by the amidases: AmiA, AmiB, and AmiC. To efficiently hydrolyze PG, the amidases must be activated by LytM domain factors...