Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: adi
Description: arginine decarboxylase
Alias: ECK4110, JW5731, adi
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Volke A, Wegener G, Vasar E, Volke V. High-performance liquid chromatography method with radiochemical detection for measurement of nitric oxide synthase, arginase, and arginine decarboxylase activities. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 2006;28:3-6 pubmed..Using the current method, we have shown the formation of L-citrulline and L-ornithine in vitro using brain tissue homogenate of rats and that of agmatine by Escherichia coli ADC. ..
- Rowbury R. Regulatory components, including integration host factor, CysB and H-NS, that influence pH responses in Escherichia coli. Lett Appl Microbiol. 1997;24:319-28 pubmed
- Castanie Cornet M, Penfound T, Smith D, Elliott J, Foster J. Control of acid resistance in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:3525-35 pubmed
- Webster C, Kempsell K, Booth I, Busby S. Organisation of the regulatory region of the Escherichia coli melibiose operon. Gene. 1987;59:253-63 pubmed..The nucleotide sequence covering the divergent promoters and the melR gene is reported. ..
- Stewart N, Feng J, Liu X, Chaudhuri D, Foster J, Drolet M, et al. Loss of topoisomerase I function affects the RpoS-dependent and GAD systems of acid resistance in Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 2005;151:2783-91 pubmed..The effect of the topA mutation could be suppressed by an hns mutation, so topoisomerase I might be required to counteract the effect of H-NS protein on gene expression, in addition to its influence on RpoS-dependent transcription. ..
- Melnykovych G, Snell E. Nutritional requirements for the formation of arginine decarboxylase in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1958;76:518-23 pubmed
- SHER I, Mallette M. Purification and study of L-arginine decarboxylase from Escherichia coli B. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1954;53:370-80 pubmed
- Stim Herndon K, Flores T, Bennett G. Molecular characterization of adiY, a regulatory gene which affects expression of the biodegradative acid-induced arginine decarboxylase gene (adiA) of Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 1996;142 ( Pt 5):1311-20 pubmed..designated adiY, was found downstream of the biodegradative arginine decarboxylase (adiA) gene (previously known as adi) of Escherichia coli...
- Richard H, Foster J. Escherichia coli glutamate- and arginine-dependent acid resistance systems increase internal pH and reverse transmembrane potential. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:6032-41 pubmed..Thus, reversing DeltaPsi may be a more important acid resistance strategy than maintaining a specific pHi value. ..
- Gong S, Richard H, Foster J. YjdE (AdiC) is the arginine:agmatine antiporter essential for arginine-dependent acid resistance in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:4402-9 pubmed..The adi gene region was shown to be organized into two transcriptional units, adiAY and adiC, which are coordinately ..
- Sabo D, Fischer E. Chemical properties of Escherichia coli lysine decarboxylase including a segment of its pyridoxal 5'-phosphate binding site. Biochemistry. 1974;13:670-6 pubmed
- Andréll J, Hicks M, Palmer T, Carpenter E, Iwata S, Maher M. Crystal structure of the acid-induced arginine decarboxylase from Escherichia coli: reversible decamer assembly controls enzyme activity. Biochemistry. 2009;48:3915-27 pubmed publisher..Conversely, acidic conditions favor the assembly of active decamers. Therefore, the structure of arginine decarboxylase presents a mechanism by which its activity is modulated by external pH. ..