Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: acrF
Description: multidrug efflux system protein
Alias: ECK3253, JW3234, envD
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Lewis K. Multidrug resistance pumps in bacteria: variations on a theme. Trends Biochem Sci. 1994;19:119-23 pubmed..This similarity in design, and the high incidence of apparently independent evolution of MDRs, suggests that the property of multidrug resistance might have resulted from a loss of specificity in a specific hydrophobic-drug efflux pump. ..
- Nishino K, Yamaguchi A. Role of histone-like protein H-NS in multidrug resistance of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:1423-9 pubmed..Double deletion of the mdtEF and acrEF genes completely suppressed Deltahns-mediated multidrug resistance, indicating that Deltahns-mediated multidrug resistance is due to derepression of the acrEF and mdtEF drug exporter genes. ..
- Hirata T, Saito A, Nishino K, Tamura N, Yamaguchi A. Effects of efflux transporter genes on susceptibility of Escherichia coli to tigecycline (GAR-936). Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004;48:2179-84 pubmed..coli cells overproducing AcrAB. Therefore, tigecycline is a possible substrate of AcrAB and its close homolog, AcrEF, which are resistance-modulation-division-type multicomponent efflux transporters. ..
- Bohnert J, Kern W. Selected arylpiperazines are capable of reversing multidrug resistance in Escherichia coli overexpressing RND efflux pumps. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005;49:849-52 pubmed
- Viveiros M, Jesus A, Brito M, Leandro C, Martins M, Ordway D, et al. Inducement and reversal of tetracycline resistance in Escherichia coli K-12 and expression of proton gradient-dependent multidrug efflux pump genes. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005;49:3578-82 pubmed..All transporter genes were overexpressed after induced resistance with acrF being 80-fold more expressed in the DeltaacrAB tetracycline-induced strain.
- Bleuel C, Grosse C, Taudte N, Scherer J, Wesenberg D, Krauss G, et al. TolC is involved in enterobactin efflux across the outer membrane of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:6701-7 pubmed..protein TolC but none of the respective seven resistance nodulation cell division (RND) proteins CusA, AcrB, AcrD, AcrF, MdtF (YhiV), or the twin RND MdtBC (YegNO) was essential for enterobactin export across the outer membrane...
- Lau S, Zgurskaya H. Cell division defects in Escherichia coli deficient in the multidrug efflux transporter AcrEF-TolC. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:7815-25 pubmed..Our results suggest that the E. coli AcrEF transporter is expressed under standard laboratory conditions and plays an important role in the normal maintenance of cell division. ..