Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: acnB
Description: aconitate hydratase 2; aconitase B; 2-methyl-cis-aconitate hydratase
Alias: ECK0117, JW0114, yacI, yacJ
Species: Escherichia coli str. K-12 substr. MG1655
- Karow M, Raina S, Georgopoulos C, Fayet O. Complex phenotypes of null mutations in the htr genes, whose products are essential for Escherichia coli growth at elevated temperatures. Res Microbiol. 1991;142:289-94 pubmed..The htrM gene is identical to the rfaD gene, whose product is required for the biosynthesis of the lipopolysaccharide precursor ADP-L-glycero-D-mannoheptose (Pegues et al., J. Bact., 1990, 172, 4652-4660). ..
- Jordan P, Tang Y, Bradbury A, Thomson A, Guest J. Biochemical and spectroscopic characterization of Escherichia coli aconitases (AcnA and AcnB). Biochem J. 1999;344 Pt 3:739-46 pubmedEscherichia coli contains two major aconitases (Acns), AcnA and AcnB. They are distantly related monomeric Fe-S proteins that contain different arrangements of four structural domains...
- Williams C, Stillman T, Barynin V, Sedelnikova S, Tang Y, Green J, et al. E. coli aconitase B structure reveals a HEAT-like domain with implications for protein-protein recognition. Nat Struct Biol. 2002;9:447-52 pubmedThe major bifunctional aconitase of Escherichia coli (AcnB) serves as either an enzymic catalyst or a mRNA-binding post-transcriptional regulator, depending on the status of its iron sulfur cluster...
- Bradbury A, Gruer M, Rudd K, Guest J. The second aconitase (AcnB) of Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 1996;142 ( Pt 2):389-400 pubmedThe second aconitase (AcnB) of Escherichia coli was partially purified from an acnA::kanR mutant lacking AcnA, and the corresponding polypeptide identified by activity staining and weak cross-reactivity with AcnA antiserum...
- Tsuchiya D, Shimizu N, Tomita M. Versatile architecture of a bacterial aconitase B and its catalytic performance in the sequential reaction coupled with isocitrate dehydrogenase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1784:1847-56 pubmed publisherAconitase B (AcnB) and isocitrate dehydrogenase (ICDH) catalyze the sequential reaction in the Krebs cycle...
- Benjamin J, Massé E. The iron-sensing aconitase B binds its own mRNA to prevent sRNA-induced mRNA cleavage. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:10023-36 pubmed publisher..In Escherichia coli, aconitase B (AcnB) is a typical moonlighting protein that can switch to its apo form (apo-AcnB) which favors binding its own mRNA 3'..
- Calderón I, Elías A, Fuentes E, Pradenas G, Castro M, Arenas F, et al. Tellurite-mediated disabling of [4Fe-4S] clusters of Escherichia coli dehydratases. Microbiology. 2009;155:1840-6 pubmed publisher..Reactive oxygen species (ROS)-sensitive fumarase A (FumA) and aconitase B (AcnB) as well as ROS-resistant fumarase C (FumC) and aconitase A (AcnA) were assayed in cell-free extracts from ..
- Brock M, Maerker C, Schütz A, Volker U, Buckel W. Oxidation of propionate to pyruvate in Escherichia coli. Involvement of methylcitrate dehydratase and aconitase. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:6184-94 pubmed..requires a novel enzyme, methylcitrate dehydratase (PrpD), and the well-known enzyme, aconitase (AcnB), of the tricarboxylic acid cycle. AcnB was purified as 2-methylaconitate hydratase from E...
- Tang Y, Guest J, Artymiuk P, Green J. Switching aconitase B between catalytic and regulatory modes involves iron-dependent dimer formation. Mol Microbiol. 2005;56:1149-58 pubmedIn addition to being the major citric acid cycle aconitase in Escherichia coli the aconitase B protein (AcnB) is also a post-transcriptional regulator of gene expression...
- Tsuchiya D, Shimizu N, Tomita M. Cooperativity of two active sites in bacterial homodimeric aconitases. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;379:485-8 pubmed publisher..Escherichia coli possesses two kinds of aconitases, aconitase A (AcnA) and B (AcnB), whose structural organizations are different...
- Tan G, Lu J, Bitoun J, Huang H, Ding H. IscA/SufA paralogues are required for the [4Fe-4S] cluster assembly in enzymes of multiple physiological pathways in Escherichia coli under aerobic growth conditions. Biochem J. 2009;420:463-72 pubmed publisher..coli under aerobic conditions. ..
- Fischer E, Sauer U. A novel metabolic cycle catalyzes glucose oxidation and anaplerosis in hungry Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:46446-51 pubmed
- Gruer M, Guest J. Two genetically-distinct and differentially-regulated aconitases (AcnA and AcnB) in Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 1994;140 ( Pt 10):2531-41 pubmed
- Kohanski M, Dwyer D, Hayete B, Lawrence C, Collins J. A common mechanism of cellular death induced by bactericidal antibiotics. Cell. 2007;130:797-810 pubmed..g., reca. ..
- Gardner P, Fridovich I. Effect of glutathione on aconitase in Escherichia coli. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1993;301:98-102 pubmed..coli. GSH may facilitate reactivation of aconitase, and of other [4Fe-4S]-containing dehydratases, by increasing the rate of transfer of Fe(II) to the [3Fe-4S] site. ..
- Pomposiello P, Koutsolioutsou A, Carrasco D, Demple B. SoxRS-regulated expression and genetic analysis of the yggX gene of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:6624-32 pubmed..These results demonstrate the direct regulation of the yggX gene by the redox-sensing SoxRS system and provide further evidence for the involvement of yggX in protection of iron-sulfur proteins against oxidative damage. ..
- Gruer M, Bradbury A, Guest J. Construction and properties of aconitase mutants of Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 1997;143 ( Pt 6):1837-46 pubmedEscherichia coli contains two genes (acnA and acnB) encoding aconitase activities. An acnB mutant was engineered by replacing the chromosomal acnB gene by an internally deleted derivative containing a tetR cassette...