Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ENA1
Alias: HOR6, PMR2
- A novel P-type ATPase from yeast involved in sodium transportR Haro
Departamento de Microbiologia, Escuela Tecnica Superior de Ingenieros Agronomos, Madrid, Spain
FEBS Lett 291:189-91. 1991The gene ENA1 was cloned by its ability to complement the Li+ sensitivity of a low Li(+)-efflux strain...
- The trehalose pathway and intracellular glucose phosphates as modulators of potassium transport and general cation homeostasis in yeastJose M Mulet
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Plantas, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia CSIC, Camino de Vera, 46022 Valencia, Spain
Yeast 21:569-82. 2004..These results indicate that Tps1, like Pgm2 and Hxk2, increases the levels of glucose phosphates and suggest that these metabolites, directly or indirectly, activate Trk...
- Physiological characterization of Saccharomyces cerevisiae kha1 deletion mutantsLydie Maresova
Department of Membrane Transport, Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences CR, 142 20 Prague 4, Czech Republic
Mol Microbiol 55:588-600. 2005..One of the transporters formerly believed to extrude K+ from the yeast cells (besides Ena1-4p and Nha1p) was named Kha1p and presumed as a putative plasma membrane K+/H+ antiporter...
- The yeast tumor suppressor homologue Sro7p is required for targeting of the sodium pumping ATPase to the cell surfaceIngrid Wadskog
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Goteborg University, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Mol Biol Cell 17:4988-5003. 2006..We propose a model in which blocked exocytic sorting in sro7Delta mutants, gives rise to quality control-mediated routing of Ena1p to the vacuole...
- The transcriptional response of the yeast Na(+)-ATPase ENA1 gene to alkaline stress involves three main signaling pathwaysMaria Platara
Department of Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra 08193, Barcelona
J Biol Chem 281:36632-42. 2006..A key target is the gene ENA1, encoding a Na(+)-ATPase, whose induction by alkaline pH has been shown to involve calcineurin and the Rim101/Nrg1 ..
- Gis4, a new component of the ion homeostasis system in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiaeTian Ye
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology Microbiology, Goteborg University, Box 462, S 40530 Göteborg, Sweden
Eukaryot Cell 5:1611-21. 2006..This defect is due to diminished expression of the ENA1 gene, which encodes the Na(+) and Li(+) export pump...
- Identification and characterization of Vnx1p, a novel type of vacuolar monovalent cation/H+ antiporter of Saccharomyces cerevisiaeOlivier Cagnac
Department of Plant Sciences, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Biol Chem 282:24284-93. 2007..Similar to Nhx1p, the prevacuolar compartment-bound Na+/H+ antiporter, the vacuole-bound Vnx1p appears to play roles in the regulation of ion homeostasis and cellular pH...
- Function and regulation of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae ENA sodium ATPase systemAmparo Ruiz
, Institut de Biotecnologia i Biomedicina, Barcelona, Spain
Eukaryot Cell 6:2175-83. 2007
- The sodium pump Ena1p provides mechanistic insight into the salt sensitivity of vacuolar protein sorting mutantsKatarina Logg
Department of Applied Physics, Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg, Sweden
Biochim Biophys Acta 1783:974-84. 2008..This paper discusses potential mechanistic hypotheses, like Ena1p transporter activity or localization kinetics, or ESCRT component's influence on signaling, for linking endosomal sorting functions to cellular salt sensitivity...
- The pathway by which the yeast protein kinase Snf1p controls acquisition of sodium tolerance is different from that mediating glucose regulationTian Ye
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology Microbiology, University of Gothenburg, Box 462, S 40530 Göteborg, Sweden
Microbiology 154:2814-26. 2008..We have previously reported that Snf1p together with Gis4p controls ion homeostasis by regulating expression of ENA1, which encodes the Ena1p Na(+) extrusion system...
- Bdf1p deletion affects mitochondrial function and causes apoptotic cell death under salt stressXiangyong Liu
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology, Shandong University, Jinan, China
FEMS Yeast Res 9:240-6. 2009..These results indicate that the bromodomain-containing protein, Bdf1p, is involved in the regulation of apoptosis in yeast cells...
- Protective effect of ions against cell death induced by acid stress in SaccharomycesGilzeane dos Santos Sant'Ana
Laboratório de Biologia Celular e Molecular LBCM, Núcleo de Pesquisa em Ciências Biológicas, Departamento de Farmacia, Instituto de Ciências Exatas e Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto, Ouro Preto, MG, Brazil
FEMS Yeast Res 9:701-12. 2009..cerevisiae Na(+)-ATPases (ena1-4), Na(+)/H(+) antiporter (nha1Delta) and Na(+)/H(+) antiporter prevacuolar (nhx1Delta) null mutants, respectively...
- The role of K(+) and H(+) transport systems during glucose- and H(2)O(2)-induced cell death in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeFrank A Hoeberichts
Instituto de Biología Molecular y Celular de Plantas IBMCP, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia CSIC, Spain
Yeast 27:713-25. 2010..A triple mutant ena1-4 tok1 nha1, devoid of K(+) efflux systems, is more tolerant to both glucose- and H(2)O(2)-induced cell death...
- Genetic interactions among the Arl1 GTPase and intracellular Na(+) /H(+) antiporters in pH homeostasis and cation detoxificationLydie Maresova
Department of Membrane Transport, Institute of Physiology Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic v v i, Prague, Czech Republic
FEMS Yeast Res 10:802-11. 2010..We conclude that Arl1p, Kha1p and Nhx1p collaborate in survival strategies at nonoptimal pH, temperatures and cation concentrations, but work independent of each other...
- Vacuolar cation/H+ antiporters of Saccharomyces cerevisiaeOlivier Cagnac
Departamento de Bioquimica, Biologia Celular y Molecular de Plantas, Estacion Experimental del Zaidin, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Apartado 419, E 18080 Granada, Spain
J Biol Chem 285:33914-22. 2010..The relative importance of Nhx1p, Vnx1p, and Vcx1p in the vacuolar accumulation of monovalent cations will be discussed...
- ARL1 participates with ATC1/LIC4 to regulate responses of yeast cells to ionsAmanda M Munson
Department of Biology, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 315:617-23. 2004..Additionally, expression of ENA1, the Na(+)/Li(+) efflux ATPase, and activated calcineurin, but not normal calcineurin, suppressed the Li(+)-..
- Response of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Mpk1 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway to increases in internal turgor pressure caused by loss of Ppz protein phosphatasesStephanie Merchan
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Plantas, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia CSIC, Valencia, Spain
Eukaryot Cell 3:100-7. 2004..Finally, despite its role in G1/S transition, increased levels of activated Mpk1 do not appear to be responsible for the cell cycle phenotype observed in Ppz-deficient strains...
- The transcriptional response to alkaline pH in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: evidence for calcium-mediated signallingRaquel Serrano
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Facultat de Veterinaria, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, E 08193, Barcelona, Spain
Mol Microbiol 46:1319-33. 2002..Alkalinization resulted in the repression of 232 genes. The response of four upregulated genes, ENA1 (encoding a Na+-ATPase also induced by saline stress) and PHO84, PHO89 and PHO12 (encoding genes upregulated by ..
- The PMR2 gene cluster encodes functionally distinct isoforms of a putative Na+ pump in the yeast plasma membraneJ Wieland
Institut für Biochemie der Universität Stuttgart, Germany
EMBO J 14:3870-82. 1995We report a structural and functional analysis of the PMR2 gene cluster in yeast...
- Multiple transduction pathways regulate the sodium-extrusion gene PMR2/ENA1 during salt stress in yeastJ A Marquez
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Plantas, Valencia, Spain
FEBS Lett 382:89-92. 1996The yeast PMR2/ENA1 gene encodes an ATPase involved in sodium extrusion and induced by NaCl. At low salt concentrations (0.3 M) induction is mediated by the HOG-MAP kinase pathway, a system activated by non-specific osmotic stress...
- Mechanisms of salt tolerance conferred by overexpression of the HAL1 gene in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeG Rios
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Plantas, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia CSIC, Spain
Yeast 13:515-28. 1997..The effect of HAL1 on intracellular Na+ was mediated by the PMR2/ENA1 gene, corresponding to a major Na+ efflux system...
- Overexpression of the sodium ATPase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: conditions for phosphorylation from ATP and PiB Benito
Departamento de Biotecnologia, Escuela Tecnica Superior de Ingenieros Agronomos, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1328:214-26. 1997The ENA1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes a putative ATPase necessary for Na+ efflux. Plasma membranes and intracellular membranes of a yeast strain overexpressing the ENA1 gene contain significant amounts of ENA1 protein...
- Glucose repression affects ion homeostasis in yeast through the regulation of the stress-activated ENA1 geneP M Alepuz
Departamento de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular Universitat de Valencia and Instituto de Agroquímica y Tecnología de Alimentos CSIC, Burjassot, Spain
Mol Microbiol 26:91-8. 1997In this report we show that the ENA1/PMR2A gene is under glucose repression. The SNF1 protein kinase, acting independently from the HOG and calcineurin pathways, is essential to release ENA1 from glucose repression...
- The transcriptional activator Imp2p maintains ion homeostasis in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJ Y Masson
Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital Research Center, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H1T 2M4, Canada
Genetics 149:893-901. 1998..Two genes that independently restored normal salt-resistance to the imp2Delta mutant, ENA1 and HAL3, were isolated...
- A novel mechanism of ion homeostasis and salt tolerance in yeast: the Hal4 and Hal5 protein kinases modulate the Trk1-Trk2 potassium transporterJ M Mulet
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Plantas, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia C S I C, 46022 Valencia, Spain
Mol Cell Biol 19:3328-37. 1999..Our data support a role for regulation of membrane potential in adaptation to salt stress that is mediated by the Hal4 and Hal5 kinases...
- Biochemical and genetic analyses of the role of yeast casein kinase 2 in salt toleranceE de Nadal
Departamento Bioquímica i Biologia Molecular, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra 08193, Barcelona, Spain
J Bacteriol 181:6456-62. 1999..Deletion of CKB1 increased the salt sensitivity of a strain lacking Ena1 ATPase, the major determinant for sodium efflux, suggesting that the function of the kinase is not mediated by Ena1...
- Psr1p/Psr2p, two plasma membrane phosphatases with an essential DXDX(T/V) motif required for sodium stress response in yeastS Siniossoglou
Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QH, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 275:19352-60. 2000..This growth defect is due to the inability of the psr1psr2 mutant to properly induce transcription of ENA1/PMR2, the major sodium extrusion pump of yeast cells...
- Membrane hyperpolarization and salt sensitivity induced by deletion of PMP3, a highly conserved small protein of yeast plasma membraneC Navarre
Unite de Biochimie Physiologique, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Croix du Sud 2 20, 1348 Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
EMBO J 19:2515-24. 2000..Expression of plant RCI2A in yeast could substitute for the loss of Pmp3p, indicating a common role for Pmp3p and the plant homologue...
- Regulation of yeast H(+)-ATPase by protein kinases belonging to a family dedicated to activation of plasma membrane transportersA Goossens
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Plantas, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia C S I C, 46022 Valencia, Spain
Mol Cell Biol 20:7654-61. 2000....
- The GATA transcription factors GLN3 and GAT1 link TOR to salt stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJ L Crespo
Division of Biochemistry, Biozentrum, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 276:34441-4. 2001..Here we show that transcription of ENA1, a gene encoding a lithium and sodium ion transporter essential for salt tolerance in yeast, is controlled by the ..
- The Ppz protein phosphatases are key regulators of K+ and pH homeostasis: implications for salt tolerance, cell wall integrity and cell cycle progressionLynne Yenush
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Plantas, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia CSIC, Camino de Vera s n, E 46022 Valencia, Spain
EMBO J 21:920-9. 2002..In addition to providing a coherent explanation for all Ppz-dependent phenotypes, our results provide evidence for a causal relationship between intracellular cation homeostasis and a potential cell cycle checkpoint...
- Potassium- or sodium-efflux ATPase, a key enzyme in the evolution of fungiBegona Benito
Departamento de Biotecnologia, Escuela Tecnica Superior de Ingenieros Agronomos, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Microbiology 148:933-41. 2002..The parasites Leishmania and Trypanosoma have ATPases phylogenetically related to fungal K(+)-ATPases, which are probably functional homologues of the fungal enzymes...
- Genetic alterations leading to increases in internal potassium concentrations are detrimental for DNA integrity in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeStephanie Merchan
Instituto de Biologia Molecular y Celular de Plantas, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Ciudad Politécnica de Innovación, 46022 Valencia, Spain
Genes Cells 16:152-65. 2011....